Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

So I'm on the look out for a decent pair of sunglasses to ski in.

I prefer skiing in sunnies if the weather allows and now I've had laser eye surgery, my options are very much wider than what they were previously (having had to use prescription lenses).

I'm looking for a pair that provide a bit of wind protection around the sides (I'm not overly affected by my eyes streaming in the cold but some protection would be good) but don't look like something out of Star Trek/Wars. Lens wise, I'd be using them in clear/sunny conditions rather than low light (where I'd switch to my Flightdeck with prizm lenses). I am a fan of the prizm lenses and love the contrast they provide but happy to consider all makes and brands.

Any suggestions? I also have a wide face and a chunky nose thanks to my rugby playing days (if that helps...... Razz )

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 XL / Flak Draft/Flak Jacket XLJ....They have the advantage of interchangeable lenses.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oakley have a huge range with Prizm lenses now, so anything with a snow biased lens should work:

https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/category/men/sunglasses?show=Page&q=%3AoakleyRelevanceSort%3AoakleyLensTechnologyFacet%3APRIZM%3AoakleyLensTechnologyFacet%3APRIZM_POLARIZED

I've personally got the Jawbreakers with Sapphire Prizm lenses for ski touring, which are excellent, as I want full glacier protection. I wear Flightdeck's for everything else.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with @PowderAdict, when it comes to Prizm Snow Lenses. I have Prizm Torch in my Goggles and it's excellent.

The Wind Jacket 2.0 has the Prizm Snow Lens options.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-10-19 20:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is no better pair of sunglasses (for skiing especially) than Serengeti 6976 Summit with pink lenses.
I particularly like the Tortoise Shell mat frames.
They have a great big wraparound lenses and the Sedona pink lenses give a wonderful contrast.

I like Oakley glasses too, but they are not even in the same class.

Hey, I've just found an old pair and I'm going to take them on holidays again ... Madeye-Smiley

https://www.go-optic.com/serengeti-summit-sunglasses-summit/p/194658
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll have to be careful with them though,
I left a whole collection of my favourite ski sunglasses in a hotel on Campitello ... rolling eyes

There was a pair of these .. a pair of Porsche design Speedsters.. (very Buck Rogers), a pair of antique "Sun Cloud", and a couple of pairs of Carraras.
What a lose.

I'm over it now .. but I used to have a bit of a fetish about sunglasses.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
There is no better pair of sunglasses (for skiing especially) than Serengeti 6976 Summit with pink lenses.
I particularly like the Tortoise Shell mat frames.
They have a great big wraparound lenses and the Sedona pink lenses give a wonderful contrast.

I like Oakley glasses too, but they are not even in the same class.

Hey, I've just found an old pair and I'm going to take them on holidays again ... Madeye-Smiley

https://www.go-optic.com/serengeti-summit-sunglasses-summit/p/194658

I have some Serengeti Photochromic Sunglasses for driving and they are truly excellent - but they have glass lenses. I'm not sure I would use glass lenses for skiing though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Julbo Micropore AltiArc for me: a bit like hen's teeth to find, but so good I've got 2 pairs
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maui Jim offer interesting and opposing supply company to makes like Oakley, good variation of styles and lenses too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geoffers, +1 for Jublo. I got a pair of Zebra cat 2-4 photo chromatic sunglasses. They look okay for the mountains but the lenses are amazing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fridge03, +1 for Maui Jim. Great lens quality. Very good customer service. Don’t come cheap.
snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+2 for Maui Jim.

But I also use something off this page (can't remember which, they're in France atm)

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/safety-glasses/cat850392#category=cat850392&brand=bolle&lenstype=smoke&page_size=20
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got these last year, cheap as chips and work a treat in bright light. Got Oakley High Pink Prisms for flat light.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cat-4-mh570-black-id_8329379.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, +1 for Screwfix safety glasses as a great back up.
snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Safety glasses are great for things like cycling, but I doubt that they have the UV filtering necessary for snow at altitude, and also the higher Cat# tint
https://www.sunglassesforsport.com/2014/09/25/what-do-sunglass-categories-mean/

Quote:
It's important to recognise that the tint or colour has nothing to do with UV protection – the UV filter applied to lenses is actually clear so even a clear lens can be UV400 rated (the maximum protection from UVR). Every single sunglass or eyewear model that Sunglasses for Sport sells on the website is UV400 rated.
snow report
geoffers wrote:
Safety glasses are great for things like cycling, but I doubt that they have the UV filtering necessary for snow at altitude, and also the higher Cat# tint
https://www.sunglassesforsport.com/2014/09/25/what-do-sunglass-categories-mean/

Quote:
It's important to recognise that the tint or colour has nothing to do with UV protection – the UV filter applied to lenses is actually clear so even a clear lens can be UV400 rated (the maximum protection from UVR). Every single sunglass or eyewear model that Sunglasses for Sport sells on the website is UV400 rated.

The screwfix glasses that I use have full UV protection.
snow report
geoffers wrote:
Julbo Micropore AltiArc for me: a bit like hen's teeth to find, but so good I've got 2 pairs

The peripheral vision looks a bit restricted on those.

I have found the bolle safety glasses from screwfix to be about the best ski glasses I've used, though I confess to never having paid more than £20 for a pair of ski glasses

I spent 15 years in polymer research and I'm sorry to use capitals here.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEND £££££ TO GET GOOD UV PROTECTION!

The additives used to block UV are very cheap, sometimes less than the lens polymer itself.

You can spend £100 more than the screwfix glasses, £95 of that will be the name on the side, if they were that expensive to manufacture, the expensive brands would not be giving no quibble replacements.
You might get better build quality & comfort and, at the end of the day, if the only glasses that are comfortable are £100, then it's money well spent.

The glasses from screwfix are designed for safety, so,

Protection from impact, they have good side protection which also blocks some wind. This also means the lens wraps around to give no restriction of peripheral vision.

Even the clear versions have 99.9% UV protection

They are cheap enough to be regarded as disposable!
ski holidays
@Fridge03, I'm a bit of a stuck record on this subject. I bought a pair of 'padded' sunglasses a few years ago and they are utterly brilliant at minimising the wind and consequent streaming eyes. Just google 'padded sunglasses' on Amazon and take your pick. Pretty much any will do a good job. I also agree with @tangowaggon, that you really don't need to spend a fortune on sunglasses for skiing unless you want the logo. Bear in mind that there are times when you may just want to stuff them in a pocket without a case and the merits of cheap sunglasses are clear. I've also destroyed a pair doing a massive face plantr. Glad I wasn't wearing my best sunglasses for that!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=padded+sunglasses&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies everyone! A decent selection to look through. The reason why I leaning towards the prizms (or similar lens), was that I run with the Torch Iridium in my flight decks which cover most bases for me, apart from real flat light (I have pinks for that) and really sunny days. I love the pop and contrast they provide, which I feel you wouldn't get from perhaps a cheaper pair?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy