Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend in Verbier or Chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Deb & I are looking to get in an end of season long weekend (Thurs 20th - Sun 23rd April) but work committments mean we can't make the official end of season bash.

For ease of flights (Easyjet: Luton to Geneva) & short transfers we've narrowed it down to either Verbier or Chamonix which means we can probably ski a couple of hours on the Thurs pm, all day Fri & Sat, plus Sun am.

We've been to Verbier before but the snow was crap but I'm keen to return - & also ski a few runs with rockyrobin.

Never been to Chamonix before but heard that you need to book in the right 'town' to get the best access to the slopes? Five ski areas according to the web site so which are best to ski end of season? Can't do anything too adventurous as Deb's compression fracture in her back will only be freshly healed.

Snow appears to be pretty good at present in both resorts. Cost between the two is pretty similar but as I've skied three weeks this season without Deb there's no way I can use cost as a selection criteria.

Any advice gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stay in the middle of Chamonix. If you're hiring a car or are willing to use the bus, then Chamonix's no problem. Nice easy skiing at Le Tour which is only about 10-15 minutes in the car - or catch a train to Vallorcine then the gondola up to la Tete de Balme. Alternatively, the gondola up to Le Brevent is only about a 5-10 minute walk from the centre of Chamonix. You can access La Flegere from Brevent via a cable car link. Why not try a different area each day, then you feel as though you've been skiing in a few resorts? - it's not too much of a problem.

The scenery around Chamonix is superb and if you get the Chamski lift pass, you could go up to Aiguille du Midi one afernoon for a breathtaking panorama snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, At the end of April-go to Argentiere- don't stay in Chamonix.

By the end of April it is unlikely that the skiing at Chamonix- or le Tour or Vallorcine will be open.

Argentiere- great lift accessed off piste- and plenty on piste for a weekend. Base 1250m, mid station 1970m top 3275m- so great skiing even if not down to the village. The top lifts at Argentiere are fab. Grands Montets-even with a few euros extra is amazing -Point de Vue and Pylones- both unpisted blacks are the only pistes down- and are unforgetable. Stunning scenery, good snow, steep, never busy......long (about 4km each with 1200m vertical).

Bochard gondola- serves 2 pistes- bochard (red) and combes (black) both long and both with lots of near off piste- try turning right under the gondola ........

Good food on the mountain- but the mid station restaurant might be half closed(which would be a pity- does great pizza- but even better restaurant food) -try the Chalet le refuge or the cremerie des glaciers- neither too clear on the lift map- cremerie not at all- be very careful if going to chalet le refuge- as you may end up skiing down the (often closed) variante hotel (a fiendishly difficult unpisted red- full of monster moguls, trees, rocks amd other nastiness).

If the Mrs needs looking after- Hotel Les Grands Montets is in the cable car car park- is very comfy and full of Alpine charm. Views of Mont Blanc, but no restaurant. Not cheap approx 120 euros but worth it. Our favourite hotel anywhere. Just right. www.hotel-grands-montets.com has all you need.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
edsilva,
Chamonix website has Le Tour and Brevent-Flegere open until April 23rd - obviously subject to snow and weather conditions snowHead snowHead snowHead There's loads more to see and do in the middle of Chamonix and a 10 minutre drive to Argentiere is no problem Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hywel, even if they are- I'd still go to Argentiere- what does SZC think?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon,

I agree with edsilva, stay in Agentierre and if you ski pretty hard all you will need is the 'Office'. If you want to ski the VB then you will have to get to Swede city -Cham Sud- but thats downtown anyway...You might as well make the bus trip there the once...otherwise the GM is where you will ski. Don't know about holiday times but the GM will be crowded at hol times, I reckon.... maybe the animal man will have a better perspective crowd-wise...

Or meet us at the eosb, you know you want to...go part time..!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that should be SZK
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT wrote:
spyderjon Or meet us at the EOSB, you know you want to...go part time..!!

Up until yesterday we were hoping to do a few days the following week at the EOSB. Unfortunately work has conspired against me.

Thanks for the info guys re Chamonix. Your favourite hotel looks great Ed. i've emailed them for availability.

Any votes for Verbier?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Not trying to get away again !
Just booked for another trip, going back to VC on the 14th

Have PM'd some details for Chamonix area
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm in Verbier, that weekend, this one, next one and the one after that! For late season I think Verbier is pretty unbeatable. Above 2,000m there's tons of fantastic skiing some of it not that obvious from the marked iteneries and pistes, but plenty to keep you well amused for the weekend. Add to that sat at places like the Cabane de Mont Fort for a quick spot of lunch, no one around and an amazing view of the Mt Blanc massif, and a very efficient lift system these days.

Also if you want a bit of apres I think it presents more straightforward options than Cham. Having said all of that spyderjon, you can't get it wrong in choosing between the two. Enjoy.... the conditions are fantastic
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, I'd vote Verbier over Chamonix, I hate the fact you have to bus it or drive to the ski area, park up and ski!!

How about Portes Du Soleil or Flaine? Closer to Geneva, quieter and not "world renowned" for powder so more chance of some fresh tracks!

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon,

Either would be great for a late weekend. If you pick Verbier though, don't bank on getting much sliding done with rockyrobin - he is possibly the most accident prone person I have ever met!! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
spyderjon, Either would be great for a late weekend. If you pick Verbier though, don't bank on getting much sliding done with rockyrobin - he is possibly the most accident prone person I have ever met!! wink

Me too Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy