Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burton Imperial Vs Ion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody have experience with one or both of these boots? Looking at them for instructing and hard-charging riding.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had two different seasons of ions and they're really, really stiff. Ridden slx, malamute, synapse... Both the ions were way stiffer and I ended up selling them.

Never tried imperials.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve tried the Ions, Ruler, Imperial.....as above, found the Ions way to stiff.

Ruler and Imperial trashed my feet - so cant really comment on whether they would suit.

Ended up trying on 18 different boots at TSA. Only one that felt right was a ThirtyTwo. Been like wearing slippers since.

My only suggestion.....look at all the medium flex boots and work out which ones are the comfiest.....if instructing - will be stood around a lot and wearing all day long......without the option to go rest your feet. So I would have thought comfort is primary goal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Imperials all day long. I've been riding in them for the last 10 years and when I did want a change I ended up with a new pair after trying on 20 other boots.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trying to ask about boot fit is like asking someone what diopter lenses their reading glasses have and if they like them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would agree with other people above, you really need to try different boots on to see what works for you. I'm the same as @Drew Carey, in that I struggled with many makes until I tried ThirtyTwo boots, which suit my feet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've tried Salomon Synapse, Burton Ruler, Burton Driver then about 7 or 8 years ago tried the Burton Ion. Just away to buy my 4th pair of Ion's in the next couple of weeks. I think it's a great boot if you like things at the stiffer end of the scale. I find them really comfortable.

Another option for You could be the Burton DriverX if you're looking for a hard charging boot.

Notice Burton are doing the Ion with the choice of speed zone or boa lacing systems now if You have a preference for one lacing system over the other.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a pair of Special edition Ions, made from Redwing leather. These are very slightly softer than the standard Ions and are like new after around 100 days use (3 years). They are super comfy and look the nuts. I treat them regularly with Redwing leather food but have been amazed at how they are lasting. I suspect they are made with much more care than the standard Chinese made 'black' boots.

https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/mens-red-wing-x-ion-leather-snowboard-boot/W18-150851.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looks sick ^
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been riding in my Ions for 2 years and love them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For hard all mountain riding Ions are the best boot I've worn ...... they're 'stiff' for a reason.

You have to 'work' them so have to be a decent rider otherwise they make no sense ........ your technique has to be fairly well dialed in.

For daft stuff, like 'domes, I run a softer boot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone whos replied above saying they've used the ions, how much have they packed out over use? Ill be putting around 100 days on them, picked up a pair of 10s the other day and they're a little snug on the toes but thinking they'll break-in
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't really say how long they'll take to pack out, I've broad feet and have to pre-stretch any new boot rather than let it happen naturally, and Burtons are considered one of the wider boots to begin with.

They don't seem to give as much as some other models.

I modified a shop bought stretcher and that works pretty good, otherwise new boot time would be an absolute nightmare.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hazzacook20 wrote:
Anyone whos replied above saying they've used the ions, how much have they packed out over use? Ill be putting around 100 days on them, picked up a pair of 10s the other day and they're a little snug on the toes but thinking they'll break-in

I always buy boots with the end of my toes snug to the liner. Once I've used them for a few days they're fine. Don't think you'll have any problems putting 100 days on them. Did you treat yourself, and your feet, to a set of custom footbeds/insoles?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hazzacook20 wrote:

I don't think they have really packed much at all (usage as above). When mine do feel packed, I will try to buy a set of new liners as the shells are still mint.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy