Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier Skiing in June 2020?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Better Half is taking a class in Central Italy in mid-June 2020 and after chauffeuring her there I'll have a week to roam, so I reckon I should head for the glaciers while they're still there. The question is: which one(s). I'll have 4 ski days, and it seems those days are short and the areas are small. So it could be that I'll need to go to a couple places to keep it fresh. I'll be 8 hours from Zermatt or Hintertux, 9+ from Val d'Isere, so really anywhere is within range. I've skied the glacier areas at Zermatt, Solden, Val d'Isere, Tignes and Marmolada, but always in March, so I can't be sure that what was open/spinning then will be the case in mid-June. Of those, it seemed like Solden had the best combination of terrain quality, extent, and lifts, but again this is based on observations in March. My research thus far suggests Hintertux should be at or near the top of my short list. It won't be Stelvio Pass; I drove over it in July and it was a freakin zoo up there (and a beautiful but otherwise overrated road as well, imho) and I don't need that. Additionally I'm curious if lodging reservations would be necessary at that time of year. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scooter in Seattle, Hintertux isn't all that small, it should be fine for 4 days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can ski on the Zermatt Glacier from Cervinia in Italy. Accommodation and food will be much cheaper and it should be a shorter drive. I have done the Warren Smith course there the last two summers in August and the skiing has been good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scooter in Seattle, I've had snow in June at Hintertux. There will still be plenty of skiing at that time of year there.
I've always stayed at Badhotel Kirchler and I doubt that you'd need to prebook then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scooter in Seattle, skiing in June @Hintertux should be OK. It might even even be open as far down as the middle station. Not amazing, but ok. After four days you would have seen all of it though!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so far. Yeah, not expecting epic conditions or terrain-- its just great to be out there at all in June, and far better than pacing around Bagnoreggio for a week! I'll have a lot of time, I can see myself going to a couple of places. It does seem like some of them close and re-open late in June (e.g. Solden). Good reminder about the Cervinia approach to Zermatt. Wish it was a little closer to Hintertux, that'd be a good duo.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle, no booking needed anywhere in the Alps in summer. Moreover, June can be (very) rainy in the Alps. And if bad weather hits the Alps, it often lingers for some days. Definitely keep it last minute, Italy has much better weather (and a lot to see....summerskiing is a fun thing to do, but 4 days...) Bagnoregio is amidst a LOT to see and do!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-10-19 15:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hintertux for skiing.

Cervinia for skiing + scenery.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, helpful to know that I can get away with keeping it last minute...and that the weather may dictate my itinerary. And yes, Italy's charms are limitless. But if the forecast provides even odds of visibility, I will be skiing. Siena can wait a few days!

I love the vibe of summer skiing. We have it four hours south of Seattle, at Timberline on Mt Hood. Fairly limited though, lots of race camps. A friend of mine shared a course with Marc Ghirardelli one day!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
About 15 years ago or so I took my Kids out for a bit of summer skiing and did three consecutive days in June at Hintertux, Stubai and Kitzsteinhorn for variety. They are all reasonably close together. The kids spent most of the time in the parks and had a ball!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scooter in Seattle, if you do go to Hintertux I can recommend staying in the nearby village of Lanersbach at the Hotel Jaeger, I've stayed there several times, good food and friendly staff. You'll obviously have a hire car with you, but if you do fancy a few apres ski drinks at Hintertux there are frequent bus services from Lanersbach to Hintertux with the bus stop less than 100 metres from the hotel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy