Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walking on the snowy mountains above Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
I'm going with most of my family to Zell in February but my dear misses is not going to bother skiing any more.
But she wants to do some walking.

We've been to Zell a couple of times before and we have done some walking around ...
We did a small walk around reservoir near the Enzalift.

I notice that there are some walks marked on The 2020 piste map.
https://d18z89ggtjsooz.cloudfront.net/cache-buster-1569918704/media/presse/karten/regionspanorama2019-20.pdf

I'm not sure if they are really usable for walkers in the ski season.. does anyone have any experience of doing these walks?
Are there any guided walks such as we have here in the UK with the Rambling fraternity?

I cant find any reference to lift passes for "non skiers" ... I wonder if they have such a thing or a points card.

Will she be able to use the chair lifts without skis or is that verboten?

I was wondering about a particularly good lunch spot ... The Maiskogel Ranch ... And I've just spotted that there is a new lift to the Maiskogel from the base of the Kaprun glacier lifts, so that looks quite interesting.

Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowshoes might be handy for the walking. It's hard work sinking knee deep with every step.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There’s a fair amount of information here https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/activities/winter/winter-hiking-and-snow-shoeing

The new lift on the Maiskogel opened last year and would take you to within about 300m laterally of the Maiskogel Ranch, which personally I wouldn’t go out of my way to visit. On a bluebird day your wife might get more enjoyment catching the four lifts up to the top of the Kitzsteinhorn, from Kaprun, with various stops en route. It also offers walking/shoeing possibilities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know that area, but would just say, from experience of snow-shoeing elsewhere, that you do need to be careful - organised groups might be a good way to go. And use long (like cross-country) poles. Super way of seeing something of the mountains in winter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gruss Gott @Austrian Seagull!
Thanks for the link, that seems like a great way to start.
In fact it is exactly what we need.

I didn't find any proper info on winter hiking till you sent me that link, big thanks.
I'll report back on how good the guided walks were once she has had a go.

We would like to go to the Ranch again as we'll have my seven year old granddaughter with us and I know she will get a great buzz out of the calves and piggies up there.
Plus I may be able to keep up with her on that fabulously easy piste back down from there.

My only concern is that now they have put that new lift in place it will transform the Maiskogel from its very quite sleepy nature.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DrLawn wrote:
Gruss Gott @Austrian Seagull!
My only concern is that now they have put that new lift in place it will transform the Maiskogel from its very quite sleepy nature.

Unfortunately I think that is inevitable. The number of Summer visitor numbers on the Maiskogel has trebled since the new lift opened. The bars and restaurants on the slopes are gearing up for an increase in Winter numbers. The Eisbar, for example, is just finishing off the construction of a large extension and there is talk of a new restaurant being built on the mountain. However, the old guy who owns the Maiskogel Ranch has no plans to expand!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/events/event-calendar?from=&to=&category=&town=&keyword=snowshoe
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers @Austrian Seagull,
Things do move on over time ... I'm sure you know a kiosk right in the middle of Kaprun.
I went there in 1993, October probably, this was before the horrendous catastrophe on the funicular.

That bar/kiosk was tiny then, could not have been more than 5 metre diameter.
It was THE only place open in town and humming. I don't know how they did it, but pizzas and pints were flying about the kitchen was minuscule and about 40 customers enjoying their drinks and smoking like troopers.
I visited the same place a couple of years ago and it had grown with loads of space outside to smoke those cigarettes.

@DB thanks for putting me on the right track a couple of years ago with DB Bahn. I'm looking forward to booking with them again as soon as the 2020 timetable is released,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kitzsteinhorn EXPLORER TOUR as of winter 2019/20: Tour for nature explorers led by a National Park Ranger through 4 climate zones, from 768 m to the TOP OF SALZBURG at 3029 m. There's also good walking routes above Zell am See on the horseshoe ridge and around some or the reservoirs lower down. The tourist office can help...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy