Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather at Christmas (at Puy st Vincent)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We’ve done March elsewhere in the alps a few times and now are having Xmas in Puy st Vincent this year with snowbizz

My husband is starting to get cold feet that the weather at the end of dec is going to be all blizzards and frostbite, as we have been spoiled with glorious sunny spring skiing up till now.

The children wear just a thermal underwear top with a ski jacket straight on top at Easter. For Xmas will they need fleece as well and then ski jacket?

Does anyone have any experience of sunshine at Xmas
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunshine, cold, warm, dry, wet, I've had it all and that's only in 4 Christmas/New Year trips. Predicting the weather this far out is the same as predicting what it'll be like in the UK.

I'd say it's more likely to be colder than Easter but can also be dry and warm. However as I spent last Easter freezing my nanas off in VT, I wouldn't really pack any different to any other ski trip. Pack layers and decent gloves regardless of what time of year. One thing to say is that it does get colder after the sun drops though (understandably), which will obviously be a bit earlier than in April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sun will drop a LOT earlier in April - that's the main difference. As @SnoodlesMcFlude says you could have any sort of weather. In 15 Christmases in the Alps I've had the lot, including rather dull, cloudy, mild, slightly drizzly sort of weather (rather like Christmas in the UK in fact). Yes, I'd say kids will need to have mid layer fleeces - though they might not need them every day. It's wind, as much as anything, which creates the need to pile on the layers. Christmas is a super time to go skiing, because it's so much better to spend the time out on the slopes (whatever the weather) than sitting in front of the telly eating and drinking too much, which is what Christmas mainly seems to consist of in the UK these days! Christmas day is an entirely normal day on the slopes in a French ski resort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Stinkpickle

You've been lucky. I normally ski at the start of March and have had:

Heat stroke (almost) - as 8Deg C in village and I had a black jacket which just absorbed the heat
Blizzards - very common
Rain - Very unpleasant and fortunately only for one afternoon
Blue skies
Blue skies and -28Deg C!

I always take for all conditions and if I come back with unused fleeces then that's a Brucie bonus

The same could apply in December
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On average (so not necessarily) you would have better snow depth in March than at Easter. But if you ski on piste only the top few inches really matter!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stinkpickle, PSV is in mainly in the trees, so you will be more protected from wind and blizzards than higher resorts. We've skied at Christmas in all sorts of weather, it is early season , so can be quite varied. An extra layer might be needed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant replies thank you. As long as everyone isn't piling on saying there is zero chance of good weather I'll take that! As we keep saying, a bad weather day on the slopes has to be better than another miserable, rainy, 23rd December in a soft play hell hole!

We are all piste skiers, blues and reds with the kids with lots of hot choc breaks. Will pack for everything and cross my fingers. Thanks all!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You’ll have a good indication of the weather just before you leave. Forecasts are now very accurate out to five days and beyond that the trend should be apparent ie. wet, dry, cold, mild, windy, calm etc. Will help you to pack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always used to go first week of jan, much cheaper, very quiet on the snow and have had weather that has allowed walking round in the evening without coat or gloves, been in march and its been freezing, and when the sun comes out it can turn the snow to slush at lower altitudes, as you say any day in a ski resort is a good day
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like others I'd say pack for cold, wind and wet and then anything else is a bonus. Had some of my best days skiing at Christmas. Can't say worst as if it is really pants we just do a bit and then pack it in and chillax as it is Christmas afterall! Need to add amid layer and a neck thingy, maybe some wrist liners or silk liners, then they can cope with most things. Find mine always ran hotter than me, as they ski a lot lot quicker.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
think i'd be more concerned at the potential of lack of snow rather than blizzards.

To be fair neither are ideal, but at least you can still ski (sort of) in a blizzard.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They've got snow cannons for if the snow is that lacking! But I was checking historical data and they don't seem to have struggled for snow that week before
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stinkpickle wrote:
They've got snow cannons for if the snow is that lacking! But I was checking historical data and they don't seem to have struggled for snow that week before

That's fine providing it's cold enough to use them. Not always a given.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Stinkpickle, We have skied in France the last three years at Christmas and I recall that 2 out of 3 were sunny and not that cold and I would have preferred to have had blizzards! I would pack another layer eg. fleece for Christmas but you will not necessarily need it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy