Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refurbishing/renovating Second Hand Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I’ve picked up a neglected pair of skis from Gumtree. Bits of rust here and there - but there doesn’t appear to be much in the way of scratches/dings.

Is there a straightforward protocol for cleaning them up? Are there cleaning products to avoid (I’m eyeing up that bottle of Cillit Bang...), or does it really not matter?

This is the first time I’ve dared buy my own, so please be gentle!

LS
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, WD40 - yay or nay?

LS
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A quick service/edge sharpen should remove the rust. Someone who knows we more than me will be along to tell whether or not WD40 will do damage but it's def not required.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lord_seagrave, WD40 is for preventing the buildup of condensation on ICBMs and nothing else. The rest is beautiful marketing.

What are they?

How dirty can they be?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hang on, will take pics...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are they flat? Check this with a straight edge tool. If yes, then wax them and tune the side edge and then go skiing. If not then get a shop to flatten them and then wax base and tune the edges.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@lord_seagrave, I'd say bin 'em and start looking again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I could be mistaken but it looks like there is damage under the bases from that rust which worries me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be most concerned about the potential oxidation within the bindings. I wouldn't be wanting to ski on them without having them properly checked. Then they'd need a full edge and wax, depends if you have the kit and want to invest the time.

Horrible rainy day here, so I'm off to dig out the service kit and start on my dome skis.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla wrote:
Are they flat? Check this with a straight edge tool. If yes, then wax them and tune the side edge and then go skiing. If not then get a shop to flatten them and then wax base and tune the edges.

This. Then ski em. Unless the base is being popped up by rust mainly cosmetic. Maybe get the shop to check binding release to ensure nothing has seized.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
endoman wrote:
Horrible rainy day here, so I'm off to dig out the service kit and start on my dome skis.

Ditto. Grim weather. Watch the Scotland v Japan game and then wax two pairs of skis ready for the Moguls course on Thursday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, yeah the external state of the bindings suggests not a great deal of care and attention recently, possibly reflecting internal state.

I had the springs on a pair of LOOK RSs shatter on me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Maybe get the shop to check binding release to ensure nothing has seized.

This. The bindings might just need a clean, but I'd be concerned that they won't release properly.
Also, does the second picture show the edge separating from the rest of the ski, on the left hand ski tip? If so, and the damage extends down to where the edge contacts the snow, you may find that the edge pulls out very easily.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Though I’m normally a great advocate of second hand skis, those do look a bit dodgy, Take them into a ski shop and ask for an honest opinion as to their state and whether it’s worth a getting a full service. I hope you didn’t pay too much for them.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
I could be mistaken but it looks like there is damage under the bases from that rust which worries me.

This is the bit that worry’s me, that looks bumpy as if moisture has got into the wood underneath and started expand

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 13-10-19 14:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@NickyJ, +1 they look shot to me, and I wouldn't trust those bindings
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, Thanks for the reminder about the moguls at Chillfactore this week. I was supposed to be away this week, but it is now cancelled so ill pop over some time on Thusday for an hour or two on the lumps.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

This is the bit that worry’s me, that looks bumpy as if moisture has got into the wood underneath and started expand

I don't think that is down to moisture getting into the core. I have skis that look the same, with mine it is caused by the edges getting hot during use.
ski holidays
Maybe worth investing £15 in getting the bindings tested
https://www.rinskis.com/ski-binding-testing
ski holidays
@NickyJ, good catch. Not keen on the look of that.
snow conditions
That ski is the rental version of the Salomon X-Wing Tornado that was only available to the trade so I'm 99.9% sure it's an ex-rental ski. The base structure looks too good for its age so it probably had a grind before being sold off - which means that the bases are probably flat enough as well.

An ex-rental ski often has very thin bases and edges but there's plenty of edge left and the gouges shown are relatively deep but they've still not gone though the base so the base still has good thickness left - so these are not the usual ex-rental crap skis and it's an easy repair to sort those base gouges out. The slightly wavy looking base material near the edge is quite common (see rjs's post) and I wouldn't be concerned about it.

The rust on the base edge angles can be easily removed with an alu-oxide stone and a very light polish with an fine diamond. The rust on the side edges is thick and will take a lot of work to do by hand or a machine tune would quickly make light work of it - but there's enough meat on the edge so that's not an issue.

The binding corrosion is a concern. I've seen that corrosion on bindings a few times and each time it's been accompanied by the heavy rusting on the side edges - and on each occasion the owner has driven back from the alps with the skis tied unprotected on a roof rack. The bindings need stripping down as in the previous cases that I've seen the internal springs had corroded but they were still easily cleaned and re-lubed etc, as were the brake levers etc.
snow report
This is great info guys. Paid £20 for them. I’ve given then a thorough going over with a rag and some WD40, and have set up the bindings for my boots. Having accidentally unscrewed the wrong bit, I can see that, inside, they are thick with clean grease and the springs are unmolested. I can pop the boots out and in with what feels to me like enough resistance.

I’ll take them along to Ellis Brigham MK this week and get them edged - I’m prepared to throw another tenner at these to get them out on the slope. they’ll either work or not, I suppose!

LS
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
That ski is the rental version of the Salomon X-Wing Tornado that was only available to the trade so I'm 99.9% sure it's an ex-rental...

:good:

Thanks @spyderjon very much appreciate that post.

LS
snow report
Result re the springs. Looks like you've got a bargain then. Take a boot with you and get EB's to set the forward pressure and dins for you as well which they'll do for free.
snow conditions
Quick update to say that EB are reassuringly unfazed by these - confident that a few quid on an edge and wax will do the trick.

There’s a fortnight’s wait at the moment in MK, but I’ll get out on the slope as soon as they’re done and take it from there.

LS
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy