Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola cabin falls off cable in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
See this report
The cabin fell 60 feet to the ground and was badly damaged, but fortunately it was unoccupied.
People in other gondolas cabins were safety downloaded.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worst nightmare Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wonder when the last instance was of something like this with a Gondola?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nasty! Very lucky no one was in it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twoodwar wrote:

It happened in 1989 during the testing of the Vaujany cable car, very different machinery but 8 technicians died. Some of the management of the companies involved were charged with manslaughter, do not know the result of that.

I believe it happened in Scotland when an operator over rode (?) the safety controls and a passenger was seriously injured in that.

I am sure there must be more.

Without it being blase about it, I guess it is bound to happen at some point, some where, there are just so many of them.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondola_lift

scroll down

and more here https://alp-age.com/en/articles/51/326/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Honestly, I hate gondolas - scared of heights (literally tremble from fear in gondolas.. have been known to scream when they suddenly stop and swing.. bit embarrasing). This is always running through my head when I'm on them.

Chairlifts are almost as bad, but for whatever reason I feel a bit more safe - probably because of the GI Joe moment where I'd jump out of the chair, kick my skis off, grab onto the cable above and shimmy along to the towel to climb down the ladder. Or something like that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
twoodwar wrote:

The last one I can think of was the Aup de Veran at Flaine in 2011.
It caused considerable damage to one of the pylons as it fell.
I think one of the cabins slid down the wire leading to more being knocked off.
Don't think there were any injuries but the lift was out for the whole season and completely replaced.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marksymoo wrote:
Honestly, I hate gondolas - scared of heights (literally tremble from fear in gondolas.. have been known to scream when they suddenly stop and swing.. bit embarrasing). This is always running through my head when I'm on them.

Chairlifts are almost as bad, but for whatever reason I feel a bit more safe - probably because of the GI Joe moment where I'd jump out of the chair, kick my skis off, grab onto the cable above and shimmy along to the towel to climb down the ladder. Or something like that.

"The National Ski Areas Association reports 0.138 fatalities per 100 million miles transported compared to 1.23 for cars".

http://www.nsaa.org/media/214677/Lift_Safety_Fact_Sheet_10_31_14.pdf

So you should be more scared on the transfer to the resort or driving there. But you are only human, so you are forgiven snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Try this for size... Skullie (Kaltenbach Dec 2018)

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

I'm glad we went the year before now!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At least they're all still attached to the cable. Hard to believe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

That's a very untidy way to store them, especially for those super tidy Austrians Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would be nice to think that the design Engineers allowed for a gondola getting stuck on a pylon, and set the gripping force on the cable clamps so that would never allow slippage under normal loading, but did when faced with a potential pile up like this. Far better to have this pile up than to fall off the cable.

The type of failure where a gondola separates has much more serious implications, as does a pylon/tower failure, such as the one in Whistler in 2008, where ice buildup inside the tower broke the tower, dropping the cable.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a3902/4296470/

Much of engineering design, isn’t making something work, it’s thinking of ways it can fail, and how to prevent those failures.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember one incident in the late 70s, when some guy bit through a cable.
snow report
So do I scared the life out of me.
snow conditions
@Orange200, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
I remember one incident in the late 70s, when some guy bit through a cable.

You've watched too many James bond films.
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
too many James bond films.

Sorry... I don't understand. Too many?

Nope. I don't get it.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/cVCL-0SoIgA
ski holidays
This is from last Summer ..dont know if it has been posted here already

Canada Gondola Sabotage

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-to-sky-gondola-in-squamish-closed-after-cable-snaps-1.5242787

Video

https://m.facebook.com/SeaToSkyGondola/videos/433801410596205/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php&_rdr

When it was working

https://liftblog.com/sea-to-sky-gondola-squamish-bc/
snow conditions
marksymoo wrote:
Honestly, I hate gondolas - scared of heights (literally tremble from fear in gondolas.. have been known to scream when they suddenly stop and swing.. bit embarrasing).

Lol.

Similar happened in one of the cr*ppy old cabins above Les Menuires (France) last Dec 2018.

The cabin slammed to an emergency halt in a nanosecond at the highest part of the ride and swung wildly in the gales, like a spider on the end of its string.

One screamed, and two dived to the floor, because they couldn't bear to look out the window Laughing
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

You wait ages for one then.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy