Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America West Coast Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Another foot plus over night in the Southern Cascades. Temps in the single digits. Will be a blower pow fest for those that can get up there. Sadly work is calling, and my knee still needs a few more days to heal up. 5 feet reported over the last 3 days.

Mammoth Mtn, in California also reporting about a foot of snow, and over 3 feet the past 3 days.

Very cold temps in the West from the Arctic air flowing down from the Gulf of Alaska. Temps will continue to stay very unseasonably cold through the week.

Whistler -18 to -24C this morning. About 80cm over the past week.

Forecast calling for clearing and cold temps with potential for more snow toward the end of the week in the PNW and interior Mountain West. It's looking like a banner holiday snowfest for the major ski resorts in Tahoe, Colorado and Utah. Not to mention Jackson Hole.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 weeks until I go to Tahoe. And to think, 3 weeks (or so) ago, I was worried about the lack of snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaddyLouLou wrote:
3 weeks until I go to Tahoe. And to think, 3 weeks (or so) ago, I was worried about the lack of snow.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to snow conditions. It's been a solid storm session in California the past 10 days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now I'm more worried about too much snow - especially on the drive from SFO.

But there's plenty of time for things to change.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DaddyLouLou, the cross-Sierra roads in question (I-80 and US 50) are primary arteries kept open if at all possible but its 4 hrs on a good day. If its dumping and slow or closed you could take a commuter flight over the Sierras to Reno. Might be faster and rental cars used to be cheaper there though my info is stale on that. At the risk of stating the obvious: get AWD. Thus far, it has been needed: Mammoth has had 12' at its base and 20' at the summit, its snowiest December in ten years. Your timing is just fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaddyLouLou wrote:
Now I'm more worried about too much snow - especially on the drive from SFO.

But there's plenty of time for things to change.

Yes, too much snow might be a valid concern.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lake-tahoe-shatters-50-december-120923865.html

Quote:
LAKE TAHOE, Nev. —With four days left to go in the month, Lake Tahoe has already broken the record for December snowfall set 50 years ago.

On Monday, December snow totals at the UC Berkeley Central Sierra Snow Lab reached 193.7 inches, blowing a 1970 record of 179 inches out of the water.

The lab, located at Donner Pass, has received roughly 39 inches of snow in the past 24 hours and could break the 200-inch mark today.

The lab was built in 1946 by the U.S. Weather Bureau and Army Corps of Engineers and maintains one of the longest-running manual snow depth records in the world, dating back to 1879.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was not expecting to walk out the door this morning to snow. I have lost track of how many days it has snowed here in Central Oregon. I think we are on day 9. And we should hit day 10 with continued snow forecast into Thursday before we see a break on Saturday. It will finally warm up to above 32F after a week of very unseasonably cold temps.

Looking out to 7 days, it looks like the possibility for more snow on Tuesday/Wednesday next week as well.

It goes without saying that there's a plethora of fantastic snow conditions from Mammoth to Whistler, and out into the interior BC/Alberta Canada. The interior Mountain West ski resorts from Big Sky, to the Colorado ski resorts all are shaping up nicely for a solid end to 2021.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stormy on the mountain this morning with winds gusting to the high 50's. Most lifts closed. Should be interesting tomorrow. Forecast calling for 7"-12" of accumulation if it doesn't all blow away!

Jackson Hole also storming and blowing with about 7" new reported overnight.

Out into the start of 2022 there's some potential for additional storminess Jan. 4/5/6 for the West Coast.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very cold single digits to start the morning. Snowing moderately with 7" reported on the stake. Was very dry and light powder. Perfect way to end 2021.

Warm up for tomorrow and some blue skies to ring in the new year.

Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sad news at Mt Bachelor.

https://ktvz.com/news/accidents-crashes/2021/12/31/mt-bachelor-skier-found-unresponsive-in-tree-well-rushed-to-hospital/

Quote:

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) – A 28-year-old male skier at Mt. Bachelor was found unresponsive in a tree well Friday afternoon and rushed to St. Charles Bend, a resort spokeswoman said.

Mt. Bachelor Ski Patrol members responded around 1:30 p.m. to a Deschutes County 911 call of a guest in a tree well who was unresponsive, resort Brand and Marketing Director Leigh Capozzi said.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tough post to follow. Classic tree well conditions right now.

But we move on.

In other bad news, Crystal has re-implemented reservations for skiing effective Jan 8, for all skiers regardless of pass, even founders.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Tough post to follow. Classic tree well conditions right now.

But we move on.

In other bad news, Crystal has re-implemented reservations for skiing effective Jan 8, for all skiers regardless of pass, even founders.

Wow, due to crowding issues? That's really inconvenient.

In other news, there's more snow coming for Monday through Tuesday to the Cascades. Possibly up to 2'+. Good start to 2022!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another storm front out of the Gulf of Alaska is on the march across the Western parts of North America to start the new year week. From Whistler on down to Souther Oregon and a bit of Northern Calif. should be in the mix. Although the main energy will be focused around the Mt Hood region of Northern Oregon. Could see over 3" of snow from Sunday night into Tuesday morning.

Whistler and Interior BC will have colder temps with potential for a few feet of snow over a 36 hour time frame. (Sunday night into Tuesday morning)

That storm will work its way into Northern Idaho and Montana and drop down into Wyoming and Northern Colorado. Maybe a foot or so?

Then on the tails of that storm comes a 2nd one that has more of a Southerly flow based on GFS models, but should provide another round of snow Thursday/Friday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The technical weather report from Whistler was:
my truck turned into a powder dome and took some serious excavation this morning! snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Full on blizzard here in town. Storm came in earlier than forecast. I would not be at all surprised if the 30" snowstake at Mt Bachelor almost disappears by the time they clear it at 4pm today. Whole West side of the mountain is shut down.

Looks like most of Mt Hood Meadows is closed due to winds and heavy snow.

Meanwhile up at Crystal, WA....

Batten down the hatches, this storm is going to be a doozy!
snow report
So just a quick update on conditions. There's lots and lots of snow in the Cascades. So much so, that all the Mt Hood ski areas are closed as crews try to clear Hwy 26 so people can actually get up there. I have heard reports of people that were up there yesterday skiing that just got home this morning due to road closures. Similar stories up in Washington State as well.

Also, due to the 30"-40" that have fallen in the past 24 hours, combined with fairly strong winds, there is a high avalanche danger out there. Add to that temps will be increasing over the next few days, and that too can add to the avalanche risks.

When Bachelor cleared the snow stake at 4pm yesterday, it was reading 18". At 9pm last night when I took a peak it was close to 11", so 2"+ per hour snow fall. There's so much snow that needs to be cleared and due to high tree well immersion risk, they are only opening Sunshine base and 3 lifts as they work to clear things out.

As always, stay safe out there!
snow report
FYI Crystal has shelved their lift ticket reservation plan in favor of a parking reservation plan. Sigh, whatever.

Have they fixed Sky yet?
ski holidays
FYI Crystal has shelved their lift ticket reservation plan in favor of a parking reservation plan. Sigh, whatever.

Have they fixed Sky yet?

Too much demand, not enough supply of lift served! Not sure what the answer is to Crystal's issues. It's a little bit of the King/Pierce County love affair with that ski hill. Maybe one day they can put in a few more lifts at a few more acres of parking.

Skyliner is not getting fixed this week. Maybe by end of next week. Would be nice. It would take a lot of pressure off of Pine. And of course if conditions ever get to a point that they can get NWX and Summit running, well then, it's game on! Very Happy

I hopefully will be up on Saturday. Might be milder conditions and some sun.
snow conditions
A bit of a warm up last night. Bachelor reporting 15" overnight, however there might have been a bit of mixed/rain for an hour or so last night. Mt Hood had freezing rain, and they are trying to break free the lifts. Parking lots and roads are a complete mess. Lots of delayed openings.

WA ski areas fared better with colder temps. and a few inches of fresh snow.

Jackson Hole and Traghee should get about a foot of snow today from the storm that passed through the Cascades. Sun Valley might eek out a few inches on the edges of the storm too.

Utah should also be getting hit on Wednesday as well with a foot or more.

Looking out a week or so appears to be a high pressure ridge developing off the Pacific, which will equate to slightly warmer temps and dry.
snow report
High Avy danger in the Cascades with all the recent snow fall and change in temps. Be careful out there!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYfDCS2PJxx/
ski holidays
Storm track is moving North of the border this week. Will be mostly dry and moderate in the PNW and Interior Mountain West as a ridge of HP makes camp for the next week or so. Some wigglies out in the FI territory suggest things might change toward the end of next week with the ridge breaking down and getting pushed to the East. For now it's sun and groomers.
snow report
Has anyone travelled recently from UK - USA West Coast ? We've got family out there and thinking an Easter trip might be good fun, they have a house near Northstar so we'd ski there and Sugarbowl & Squaw as well. Entry requirements look OK.
latest report
All being well, flying out to San Francisco on Sunday.

If it goes well, I'll post on here when I get back in a couple of weeks. If not, I'll post something on Monday at the latest.
snow report
Eh oh!
ski holidays
orange wrote:
Has anyone travelled recently from UK - USA West Coast ? We've got family out there and thinking an Easter trip might be good fun, they have a house near Northstar so we'd ski there and Sugarbowl & Squaw as well. Entry requirements look OK.

Tahoe Epic resorts: Northstar, Heavenly, Kirkwood like all Epic resorts are short staffed and record number of season passes were sold after aggressively discounting last year. Weekdays are better than weekends for lift lines.

Palisades (previously Squaw Alpine) is part of Ikon and didn’t discount so lines are a little better. Next year the Alpine to Squaw gondola will we ready which will great but Highway 89 from Truckee to Palisades is only 2 lane so avoid weekend mornings after 8am.

Sugarbowl is still independent and has the nicest staff in Tahoe but still some very slow lifts and they have raised their prices ($150 on weekends) like everyone else.

Skiing was exceptionally good for the last 3 weeks but has warmed up a lot this week (60 degrees in some places) and will be dry at least until the end of January.
snow report
Spring like conditions in the PNW. Good for doing some exercise and carving drills.

snow report
Heading out to Seattle in two weeks and driving down to Mt Hood for a week. From watching online it looks like barely any snowfall since January, any locals on the ground for a report? I’m guessing spring like conditions all round. Hopeful for a return to winter going in to March.
snow report
Been in Whistler just over a week and there had been nothing but a single wet flurry until last night / today. It does look like a decent amount is forecast from this weekend though. No idea if that will also make its way to Mt Hood Puzzled

However, the report implies there may be as much as 3" overnight / this morning. Assuming that to be the case, anywhere in particular prior would suggest to head? Staying on Blackcomb so presumably makes sense to stay here so I'm guessing Seventh Heaven?!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bigtuboflard, the entire West was basically 0-for January and February in terms of new snow, so everywhere is hard. Not really springlike....it has mostly stayed cold. I know this having just returned from five areas in five states (TR coming soon). If you haven't been, Meadows is the best Hood area; Timberline is pretty tame. Since you're coming to Seattle, consider Crystal Mtn, the best in the NW. But none are putting their best feet forward with low coverage.

@jebroni3_16, The fct around here calls for some snow today ending tomorrow, and not enough for a "reset". But any refresher is welcome. If you are already at Whistler, it makes no sense to leave in search of a little more new snow. Be prepared to move around the area to find visibility which may not be SH in a storm.
snow report
Thanks @Scooter in Seattle, Timberline looks pretty mellow from the trail map but my other half is also a pretty timid skier so will suit us well to start there I think. I’ve not been on snow for 3 years either now so will be rusty on the first day. Depending on how we get on then a day or two at Meadows looks like a nice idea. What’s the best plan for lift passes?

We also looked at Crystal but the plan is to do the week in Oregon and then do a city break in Seattle for 4 days without any skiing as it’s also the first decent holiday we’ve had in 3 years so need time to relax. Any recommendations on things to do and places to eat and drink much appreciated!
snow report
@bigtuboflard, good to know your skill levels and yes T-Line will be fine for you, including the historic lodge where The Shining was filmed. As for lift tix there: they aren't part of the Ikon/Epic ecosystem so you'll have to grab your ankles.....

Meadows has some nice groomers on the Cascade chair.

Geez, not to diss your itinerary, but have you considered a drive down to Mt. Bachelor? Way better/more skiing for both of you. Two hours south of Mt Hood.

In Seattle you should see Pike Place Market in downtown. Maybe PM me with some things you like to do and I can respond with a little more accuracy.
latest report
Thanks again @Scooter in Seattle, in hindsight we probably should have planned somewhere like Bachelor instead of Mt Hood, but then I didn’t fancy the longer drive to get there (I know, only a couple more hours but then I’ll be doing all the driving). We’ve already booked accommodation in Rhododendron so can’t really change now. Might do most of our time at Meadows though and maybe just a day at Timberline?

The holiday is as much about resting up than the skiing (I’ve had the busiest two years of my working life non stop since Covid hit) so need time to just take it easy, drink beer and eat lots of seafood. Seattle seems pretty well placed for that! We’re stopping in downtown so will definitely PM you thank you when we’re there, stopping at the Hotel Theodore.
latest report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Been in Whistler just over a week and there had been nothing but a single wet flurry until last night / today. It does look like a decent amount is forecast from this weekend though. No idea if that will also make its way to Mt Hood Puzzled

However, the report implies there may be as much as 3" overnight / this morning. Assuming that to be the case, anywhere in particular prior would suggest to head? Staying on Blackcomb so presumably makes sense to stay here so I'm guessing Seventh Heaven?!

How's it actually skiing? Deathpack off the groomer or still ok? Beginning to get a bit concerned about prolonged western drought.
snow report
@jebroni3_16, The fct around here calls for some snow today ending tomorrow, and not enough for a "reset". But any refresher is welcome. If you are already at Whistler, it makes no sense to leave in search of a little more new snow. Be prepared to move around the area to find visibility which may not be SH in a storm.

Thanks. I didn't actually mean leaving Whistler - Blackcomb though, more a case of Whistler vs Blackcomb.

In the end, I started the day with a couple of runs from the top of Blackcomb Gondola to mid-station, which were great fun and reasonable visibility whilst it was still snowing lightly.

Moved to Whistler, and again, between top of that gondola and mid-station seemed to be best balance of visibility and what new snow there was.

Run down into Creekside was strange as I totally missed warning of icy section which then turned slushy at the bottom and this was long before lunch.

Made mistake of heading back to Blackcomb after lunch and was nothing like first thing, and lower section was the only fun bit for this boarder.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:

How's it actually skiing? Deathpack off the groomer or still ok? Beginning to get a bit concerned about prolonged western drought.

Skiing seems ok from what others have said. Boarding hasn't been too much fun but that's purely my personal opinion.

Forecast looks ok for this weekend and next week with some much needed snow finally heading in, but not experienced or clever enough to know whether this will just bring other risks with it.

If you like moguls though, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, your concern is well founded; with basically nothing since December and more of the same fct for the next seven days, I'd say we're already there. To be fair, January is typically the driest winter month around here. But this is exceptional. At the five areas I was at last week, off piste was skiable but only with an agenda, and on piste was still pretty decent as it has mostly remained cold during the drought so not as icy as we might expect.
snow conditions
@Scooter in Seattle,

Strange... January is normally one of the wetter/snowier months just up the road here, with February the dry month. Madeye-Smiley

This year has sucked since the new year mega snow week. However it will probably snow now due to me breaking myself! Madeye-Smiley
The interior resorts have also been a bit lacking. KH was pretty decent if uncharacteristically warm (ie just cold, not really really cold!), but I went there fairly early January. Just back from Red which definitely needs some snow, but is a bit colder so conditions weren't that bad.
I've not actually managed to ski Whistler since the new year somehow, but from what I've heard it is at best described as spring-like!
snow report
@stuarth, hopefully you are not broken severely!
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle,

Calf tear from a comedy backwards fall, so that will keep me from experiencing the great(?) conditions for a while.
snow report
bigtuboflard wrote:
Thanks again @Scooter in Seattle, in hindsight we probably should have planned somewhere like Bachelor instead of Mt Hood, but then I didn’t fancy the longer drive to get there (I know, only a couple more hours but then I’ll be doing all the driving). We’ve already booked accommodation in Rhododendron so can’t really change now. Might do most of our time at Meadows though and maybe just a day at Timberline?

The holiday is as much about resting up than the skiing (I’ve had the busiest two years of my working life non stop since Covid hit) so need time to just take it easy, drink beer and eat lots of seafood. Seattle seems pretty well placed for that! We’re stopping in downtown so will definitely PM you thank you when we’re there, stopping at the Hotel Theodore.

Forecasts are shaping up a bit better here going into the latter half of February. Cold temps returning, and the blocking high off the Pacific is/has broken down and moving out, allowing for some troughs of moisture to make its way onshore.

If you can shorten your accommodations w/o penalty, Bachelor is worth it when the conditions are right. Plus the town of Bend is great for a beer pub crawl for the local brews if you are into that sort of thing. However, it does look like Mt. Hood is positioned well for the President's Day weekend storm that is coming in as I type.

And as Scooter mentioned up thread, a day at Crystal on a sunny day is worth it just for the views. Hit it mid-week though. Weekends and Ikon passes make it tough to get tickets and parking.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy