Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Season Resort (Tignes / Les Arcs / Saas Fee)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Need your collective expertise!

I'm trying to figure out which one of the below resorts to go to late March / early April 2020?

Tignes
Les Arcs
Saas Fee

We'll be a group of both beginners and intermediates and obviously the priority is good snow conditions! (Ruled out Zermatt because of beginners.)

Let me know how you've found the above resorts in previous years and your top choices!

Thank you verrry much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Agevi, welcome to snowHeads.

The end of March/early April isn't really late season. All of those resorts open until at least the last weekend of April, and in a typical season will have the majority of their pistes open until the resort closes. Obviously there's no guarantee that snow conditions will be what you're looking for, as a very unseasonably warm spell will make it difficult to manage the pistes to keep them in good shape, but the last week of March/first week of April it shouldn't be a problem.

In terms of choosing between those, or other fairly high altitude resorts, maybe decide on ski school recommendations, location and cost of accommodation, etc?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Agevi, I agree with @rob@rar, Late March/early April is not what I would consider late season. The resorts you mention will porbably have their largest snow depths at this time of year. Ive been to both Les Arcs and Tignes at this time of year and of course towards the end of April and the skiing has usually been fine. I've even gone to Tignes to ski over the May day weekend. Iv'e never been to Saas Fee.

Sorry I cannot give you a reccomendation such as goto x. There are far too many other factors to consider such as where you stay in the resort. For example IMHO Vallandry has the best beginner slopes in Les Arcs and Arc 1600 the worst.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs 1800.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that my order would be, given you have Beginners:

1. Saas Fee

2. Les Arcs

3. Tignes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno about the others...but Tignes has 3 (very snowsure) free beginners lifts at village level (including 2 chairs). Very useful - free is always good wink - & nice runs to learn on.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice, thanks guys! Happy to have learned that our trip time isn't actually classified as late season! Very Happy

Appreciate the inputs and will continue my research!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agevi wrote:
Nice, thanks guys! Happy to have learned that our trip time isn't actually classified as late season! Very Happy

Appreciate the inputs and will continue my research!

I have to say I would agree with your first thought that end march early april is late season .
It's all a bit of semantics and for many resorts it's not end of season.
The importance isn't in its classification though it's in what the snow conditions are likely to be, Generally at this time of year lower slopes will get very soft as the day progresses and depending on cloud cover at night may or may not refreeze. South facing slopes will also, depending on weather and altitude usually go through freeze thaw cycles where the conditions are icy at first and slushy later with sometimes a very pleasant sweet spot in the middle.
I think if you are booking in advance it is useful to have access to reasonably high slopes and importantly north facing slopes, the resorts you have chosen all fit this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As mentioned above, late March/early April is not late season as far as Saas Fee is concerned.

The third week of March (my favourite ski week of the season) saw superb conditions.

I was there in the last week of April this year. Skiing from top to bottom. No discernible change in snow conditions during the day. One day of heavy snow - a bit of rain in town.

On a couple of windy days, even when the higher lifts were closed, the beginners runs were still open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy