Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire Verona airport - winter tyres Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
I need to hire a car at Verona airport in Dec and will be driving to Innsbruck via Madonna di Campiglio where I need to pick up my son. The only company I have found so far that will let me do this is Sixt, but they don’t seem to offer winter tyres from Verona. I will have chains but I am concerned that on the Austrian side I may be breaking the law if I don’t have winter tyres. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I may end up making the whole journey by train but this looks a faff and will take considerably longer.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-10-19 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bennyboy1, you will be breaking the law
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I only ever use sixt..
You can specify winter tyres as an extra, they are about 12 euro a day I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my experience of italian car hire is they have zero winterization and its nye on impossible to get winter tyres - you can but it is very very rare and i know plenty of instances of people ordering them to find themselves tosses a set of chains.

we've had some luck with hertz, but that seemed to very much be from a special offer. and NEVER NEVER use a comparason site to book your car always go direct
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HugoC, this is what I am worried about. I may call Sixt directly.

@holidayloverxx, thanks for confirming.

May have to be the train plus taxi.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HugoC wrote:
my experience of italian car hire is they have zero winterization and its nye on impossible to get winter tyres - you can but it is very very rare and i know plenty of instances of people ordering them to find themselves tosses a set of chains.

we've had some luck with hertz, but that seemed to very much be from a special offer. and NEVER NEVER use a comparason site to book your car always go direct

This has also been my experience.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a pain!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:

You will be breaking the law if there are wintry conditions.

When there is snow, slush or ice on the roads, private cars and goods vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes must be equipped for winter driving conditions with winter tyres fitted on all four wheels. Be aware that as the temperature falls, a road surface that is simply wet can turn into black ice, in which case the winter tyres requirement applies.

If conditions are not wintry, winter tyres are not required by law, but I wouldn’t recommend taking the risk.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, yes, not being able to get winter tyres has been one of the main drawbacks of our DIY trips to Italy. It's made us quite picky about choosing low resorts with easy access roads. We've been lucky so far (two trips) but no doubt it will cause issues at some point in the future. Fingers crossed for our next trip!

Snow chains do at least seem to be supplied free of charge by most companies. Obviously not an substitute for winter tyres by any means, but better than nothing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Austrian Seagull wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

You will be breaking the law if there are wintry conditions.

When there is snow, slush or ice on the roads, private cars and goods vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes must be equipped for winter driving conditions with winter tyres fitted on all four wheels. Be aware that as the temperature falls, a road surface that is simply wet can turn into black ice, in which case the winter tyres requirement applies.

If conditions are not wintry, winter tyres are not required by law, but I wouldn’t recommend taking the risk.

And who decides what is wintery? I always take the law to mean have the winter tyres. The weather could easily change mid journey
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely, you wouldn’t want to risk it. I was just trying to correct an earlier post. Many people in some parts of Austria don’t bother with winter tyres. The wintry conditions caveat being pertinent.

Ice, snow or slush on the road is a matter of fact and doesn’t require someone to decide.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hire in veneto.
Venice or Treviso. It's law there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It's law there

What is?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds unlikely that winter tyres are compulsory in Venice when they're not compulsory into the resorts from Torino.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They are its veneto law
latest report
I'm not sure about the other areas. They will still try and charge you in veneto but if you refuse, they will be in the boot of the car. Believe me, I've looked in to it and hired there many times
snow report
Quote:

they will be in the boot of the car

what will? A set of chains, presumably - not winter tyres? It's law on the autostrada north from Torino to have special equipment, but chains will do. But they won't in Austria.
ski holidays
Quote:

they will be in the boot of the car

what will? A set of chains, presumably - not winter tyres? It's law on the autostrada north from Torino to have special equipment, but chains will do. But they won't in Austria.
latest report
This interests me too, as I might rent a car to drive from Venice to Alleghe for the pre-Birthday Bash. I'd be OK to just have chains, but obviously would much prefer winter tyres.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, I think you mean chains - the OP was asking about winter tyres.

We've hired from Bergamo, Treviso and (for 2020) Verona. All three have had snow chains included at no extra cost, but no winter tyres.
snow report
https://www.hertz.it/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=CHAINS&EOAG=FCO

Just.dont pay rental for snow.chains. they have to provide them by law. But some.keep.this quite and try and charge

https://www.hertz.it/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=CHAINS&EOAG=FCO
snow report
I have no problem with chains, though I would always try them for size before leaving the rental car park!
snow conditions
I think this clears it up.
Send this link to any car hire agency that refuses to give you chains.

https://www.quattroruote.it/news/rent_a_car/2014/09/04/catene_da_neve_saranno_gratis_per_chi_noleggia.html
ski holidays
But that's no help to the OP driving to Austria, @cameronphillips2000!
latest report
pam w wrote:
But that's no help to the OP driving to Austria, @cameronphillips2000!

I can't really see how it can be of more help. Hire a car in one of those regions in Italy and, by law, the have to provide winter tyres and snow chains at no extra cost.

Am I not reading something correctly?
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000, I thought the law dictated snow tyres OR chains. Which basically means you get chains, because they cost the company less...

Edit: your link only refers to chains but doesn't mention winter tyres at all.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 12-10-19 19:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
No, it's both. You need bothe legally in these regions so the authorities have ensured those.who hire a car are corrected equipped. Check out the link I posted above.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, I can't see any reference to winter tyres?

And certainly from past experience we've never been able to book winter tyres in Italy, but snow chains have always been included free of charge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You get winter tyres where they are a legal requirement in the region.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, it is NOT a legal requirement to have winter tyres. Your link doesn't suggest it is. I have driven along that road north from Torino several times, I can speak a bit of Italian and the signs, as @denfinella says make it clear that chains OR winter tyres are needed between specified dates.
ski holidays
No. Winter tyres are compulsory in certain months . It is legal to carry chains.
ski holidays
Actually, I could be wrong I assumed they had to be winter tyres legally.
Anyway. The the car you hire will be legal for where you drive it. I know chains are a legal requirement in most alpinectegions on Italy.
latest report
Thank you for all the advice. I don’t want to risk the drive at all given lack of winter tyres so have decided to fly to INN and then will drive through the Brenner into Italy and return same day. Weather depending I guess.

Does anyone have a view on how often the Brenner pass gets closed throughout the season? I would assume not too often given it’s a main route for cargo and lorries.
snow conditions
I also saved 400 pounds hiring at INN rather than Verona with Sixt. Very Happy

Why so expensive in Italy?!
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, It would be rare for the Brenner to get blocked, not saying it couldnt happen but very unlikely. I know the Tirol would prefer if they could simply close the road permanently but it is the major north south link between Germany and Italy. There are various roadworks on the northern side and there are often queues at the tolls in Sterzing. Summer holiday weekends the traffic can be very bad but unlikely to be an issue this time of year. You can pay for the Austrian toll at most places where you buy your vignette but probably not worth the faff outside of peak times (oddly you do not need a vignette for the Brenner autobahn itself but there is the toll). It should be a straightforward drive.
snow report
@munich_irish, thanks that’s good to know.
ski holidays
it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres in Austria between 01/11 and 15/04. these will be included FOC with any rental firm in Austria. Hiring in Italy and driving to Austria is different. Sixt in Italy do allow you to request winter tyres but only from mainland locations and cost around £70 a week. Snow chains are required by law in the northern cities (Milan, Turin etc between 15/10 and 15/04) and as such should be provided FOC, hope this helps.
snow report
Quote:

Snow chains are required by law in the northern cities (Milan, Turin etc between 15/10 and 15/04)

and more widely - e.g. signs over the motorway north from Turin airport. IIRC the signs say that winter tyres or chains are required at all times across the region.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy