Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-fit for fatties

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
SirCharles wrote:
I know a lot of posters are recommending intermittent fasting diets like the 5:2 or eating only between certain hours. However I would caution against them. They are not for everyone. Not because they don’t work for weight loss - they do. However they can stress out already stressed adrenals and trigger or flare ups that could be avoided by a different approach.
People with autoimmune disease, or a genetic predisposition to AI disease, should not do IF diets without significant support for their adrenals. People with metabolic disorders are also likely to already have stressed adrenals.
If you are already overweight, parenting teens and toddlers AND coping with a child with higher needs AND work night shifts I would also hazard a guess that your adrenals are already stressed. Therefore AVOID IF diets for now.
Add the possibility of being pre insulin resistant and a better approach might be to go low carb, eat regular meals and continue with the cycling.

I have been recommended the Michael Mosely 8 week blood sugar diet. Online ive seen it have a great impact on weight and sense of well-being (via various health FB groups). In real life a relative, plus a couple
Of friends, all with late onset diabetes, have done it and are maintaining on it. I’ve never seen any of them so slim. They each followed the diet for the initial 8 weeks, then continued low carb. 2 years later they are all
Really slim and happy. It is a diet they can do in real life.
Another friend and her parents have done the dukan diet. They all look amazing and have lost a substantial amount of weight. She is a mother and a nurse on shift work and has dropped 3 dress sizes and maintained for ages now. Again a diet for real life albeit takes a bit of prep. She says she gets up 30 mins earlier to prep a lunchbox for work and ensure she starts the day off with the right breakfast.

I shall make a start on the Michael Mosely 8 week blood sugar diet this week! Am looking forward to the challenge.

Best of luck to you.

Best of luck to you to @SirCharles

Having just chatted what I ate, and made certain that I work out each day (thanks for the great app suggestions up post Very Happy ), I’ve now dropped 10kg / 2 sizes since posting.
Next weeks plan is to root around in the attack for some old ski gear, as the ski pants I’ve worn the last 2 years won’t stay up Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tazz2bme, Congrats, good stuff

I have a tendency to get into very bad eating habits, and the weight, especially as I've got older, tends to go on easier and come off harder, but at the end of the day, for most people, it's a case of ensuring calories in is less than calories burned. I know people have different metabolic rates, and a small minority have medical issues that can seriously affect weight gain, but I've always felt it's completely my own fault whenever I've put on weight. Generally we all know what we should eat more of, and what we should eat less of, but it's the motivation to make the changes, and the willpower to stick to them, that's usually the problem. Well done on finding the balance that's working for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tazz2bme, that's great news. The annual Christmas tyre is now present and despite avoiding the chocolates etc I've still managed to add a few kilos to my weight. That said I'm certain some has gone on my shoulders and upper body as I've been in the gym and swimming more than I have previously.

As for diets, I'm a bit fed up with this fad diet - that fad diet but... But I say this with baited breath, have you watched Gamechangers on Netflix? Now I'm not saying I'm going vedgie but the science behind it and the evidence in the factual documentary, combined with the sporting achievements is making me think.

Going back to swimming, as I'm training for a 70.3 I'm putting in 2-3 sessions a week in the pool but cannot manage more than two lengths of front crawl before needing to rest as my heart is beating out of my chest.

I had one single meat free day and in the pool the following morning my Garmin recorded my fastest 100m, 400m, 750m and 100m. Just saying.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
endoman wrote:
I'll join in. Previously a 70kg racing cyclist. Got fed up with that and did nothing for 3 years, got to about 108kg!

Now about a month into zero alcohol, couch to 5K and eating nothing but home prepped sensible food. 103kg this morning so around a kilo a week, and feel a lot better. If I can get into the 80's for ski trip in March then all will be good. Once the running gets longer ( very soon) then that will help, I used to run 30 years ago, so am used to the sensation, and of course cycle training got me conditioned very well aerobically.

I'm tracking everything as well. Probably join a gym for the last 2 months before skiing, but happy just doing enough to keep me interested and not get disheartened at the moment.

Update with 2 weeks before my first trip. Down from 108 kg in Sept to 86 this morning, would have been less but work trips to Singapore and Dubai meant less time for exercise and careful diet.

Now able to do the full set of 5 blasters without too much bother, and will finally get to cut the tags off the blue ski trousers I bought 3 years ago for the trip. Hoping it makes a difference on the slopes, taking a lot of clothes to charity shop today so I'm not tempted back to full fatness!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sadly a very brief report. Down to 84kg, fitted fine in my medium Arcteryx trousers after cutting tags off in apartment car park. Skied Face de Bellevarde today top to bottom without stopping and legs were fine. Those blasters and the cycling worked a treat. Sadly it looks like that's it, about 3 hours skiing this year. So disappointed, but will keep the fitness going. Going to be a huge mental battle to get through another 9 -12 months without skiing, but seeing my wife ski really well today on only her second week ever will help me . Not looking forward to the battles with the insurance companies etc as it was a DIY holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
endoman wrote:
sadly a very brief report. Down to 84kg, fitted fine in my medium Arcteryx trousers after cutting tags off in apartment car park. Skied Face de Bellevarde today top to bottom without stopping and legs were fine. Those blasters and the cycling worked a treat. Sadly it looks like that's it, about 3 hours skiing this year. So disappointed, but will keep the fitness going. Going to be a huge mental battle to get through another 9 -12 months without skiing, but seeing my wife ski really well today on only her second week ever will help me . Not looking forward to the battles with the insurance companies etc as it was a DIY holiday.

That was a good effort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reading back this thread a year on and was surprised to realize I never posted in it...

All being well the various snowHead have survived lockdown without bouncing weight back up and are ready for next season Smile

Started around this time a year ago at 101kg, got down to 90-92ish for the PSB and was 90 for 14th March (n.b. Pre/BB in Italy... Not going back up to 110 with hotel + refugio food was clearly an epic success Laughing ), before trip cancellation (though was sunday to sunday so didn't have the fun of flying out to turn around).

Then put weight back on at the start of lockdown (back up to 95 in June) before finally sorting my self out to cook more healthily etc...

Now down to ~85kg just in time to start the weight loss for next ski season...

(*grumble* despite efforts to keep diet, I am the same weight I was this time in August, though my waist is at least 2cm narrower and I have knocked over a minute off my 5k time (and can now actually jog 5k, complete a (flattish) century on the bike etc compared to before I started where the suggestion of either would have had me collapsing of exhaustion...)

5-6kg more and I will have a healthy BMI (for the first time in at least 15 years Shocked probably also the fittest I have ever been by quite a long way )

Hopefully posting here will help motivate me to get the last bit off (and get over the current plateau) before this season fully starts, and keep it off (particularly if skiing is restricted removing that motivation...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two good threads to go through:

Gym fitness for skiing
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139748#3457608

Ski fitness or exercise program
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138408#3292105

and if someone hasn't mentioned it already the leg blaster
https://sawback.com/articles/leg-blasters/
https://www.outsideonline.com/2127936/7-moves-will-get-you-ready-ski-season#:~:text=Leg%20Blasters,your%20muscles%20through%20negative%20contractions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
endoman wrote:

That was a good effort.

Let it slip a bit but only 92kg at moment . Been back on the bike for 4 weeks and blasters started again 2 days ago in case we are allowed to go for the replacement trip end of March. ( insurance paid up zilch, so all we got was same apartment again) Shouldn't be too hard to get down to low 80's by then. I lost motivation after a bit I have to admit, but did keep a bit going so didn't get to the daft weights of the 100's like previously!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm stuck at home in self isolation trying to think of different ways to exercise every day so reading this has been very useful. I made a cirucut training course in the garden yesterday, zoom pilates, zoom zumba, 15 min HIT workouts but it's a challenge getting enough variety to make it interesting. Some good links here.

I know we can't ski at the moment, but skiing is the thing that that motivates us to work on our fitness all year. Sitting at a computer at home for hours on end does not facilitate fitness training, but it's pushed me on a bit to read of everyone's experience last year. FWIW, I started swimming seriously about 2 years ago and it had the most beneficial effect on my cardio when at altitude than anything I have done before (including running 5K). When I say seriously I mean 750 to 1000 meters a couple of times a week in front crawl, not olympic training! (I'm 64).

I can't swim until next week, but the links here will help to get me through the next 7 days without losing motivation. Hope everyone finds what they need to keep going until we can get out skiing again!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy