Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

9 y.o switching to snowboarding. Need advice

Poster: A snowHead
Oleski wrote:
You'd think it won't happen to you, until it does ...

Oleski Jr has tried out snowboarding this weekend in Hemel and is "almost certainly going to switch", subject to another intensive coaching session.

I know next to nothing about the sport, but I have always been under an impression that boarders almost invariably own their boards. Is there a good reason (customisation, poor rental equipment quality) or is it just a cool thing to do? In other words do I need to rush with buying a board for him or rental is fine for the first season? What about boots, do they need to be fitted in the same way skiing boots do, or do I just nip into a store with him and get anything off the shelf that fits?

I am definitely not buying "snowboarding" clothes just yet as his skiing stuff is one season old, but do I need any additional accessories? Something to protect the precious backside may be?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good instructor in Val Thorens? I know it's not an ideal resort for snowboarding, but I am not going to change the holiday plans now.

I'd just stop him doing it ...... sorry but with the attitude you're displaying it sounds like he's gonna get his ear chewed off and ruin everybody's holiday ...... so I'd simply keep him on skis and have done ........ rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Langerzug, @cameronphillips2000, don't be silly

@BCjohnny, I don't get it, what attitude is that and why do you think I will chew his ear off?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 15-10-19 11:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Do everything you can to help him hosepipe his radish. Nothing say snowboard cool like cashewing a reverse houseplant.

Is this some snowboarding slang? Google was no help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oleski wrote:
@BCjohnny, I don't get it, what attitude is that and why do you think I will chew his ear off?

Apologies if I've read it wrong but your OP suggests you're not overly excited about the whole deal .......

If so I'd just stop him doing it ....... but we all know how that turns out ....... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BCjohnny, The opening remark was just a tongue in cheek "light side vs dark side" joke. I am not religious about it - if he wants to switch, or do both, I am absolutely fine with it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oleski, read again. I’m very serious.
If topresorts like Val Thorens, or e.g. St.Anton are not good for snowboarding, what is snowboarding good for?
You are aware snowboarding is seriously in decline, with sportshops offering fewer choice year after year?
Snowboarding is a dead end road, and your son is about to go there. Such a -costly- shame.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
Snowboarding is a dead end road, and your son is about to go there. Such a -costly- shame.

Yeah .... that's the spirit .....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
why to have two skis, two poles and two casts, that you call boots, when you can only have one plank and comfortable boots? Hands free to show middle finger to all old farts on skis when you pass or spray them Very Happy

on a more serious note, travelling is easier with snowboards than skis. They are shorter, never had to use roof rack even when 8 persons in MB V class extra long base, all with own gear. In one travelling bag you can fit more sets of snowboards than skis.

Fatality rate ant serious injury rate is smaller, simply because slower speed. Knees are also healthier, feet are fixed, more things has to go sideways to get some tendons/meniscus/ACL teared.

Since you go sideways, even smaller speeds are thrilling. It's not a race, it's about having fun. And 40-50 mph on a board is plenty for heart rate to go up.

Safer for everyone around, you rarely can see a noob on a snowboard bombing down the hill at full speed with very little control. Very common to see first year skier straightbombing and praying for the best.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps inevitably this thread has turned into a boarders v skiers spat.

We were in Les Menuires in April and my son spent probably as much time on his board as he has anywhere. No idea where people get the idea the valley is no good for boarders.

The only real pain I recall was taking the track down from Mont Vallon to Mottaret. But that was a bad call on our part and like most things avoidable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, I didn't say it was no good, just not ideal due several notoriously long flats - Mottarret link you already mentioned, home run in VT, magic carpet area next to Peclet, Caron - Les Menuires run, etc. Most are avoidable of course, but still not ideal for a beginner boarder no matter how athletic.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Oleski, I feel you're right in your assessment of getting a raw beginner around the mileage you want to do. Guess it's not a massive consideration if you take his skis too for at least the option to run those. It's just the pressure to progress would be unwelcome at this early stage.

I think it will hugely enhance his balance and appreciation of what he can do with it in both disciplines so only see it ultimately as a positive.

Also found from my having a good teacher initially to go from ski to board that as kosmoz says, the conversion is fairly logical.
A plus of that Ive found, is that I can teach my kids to ride a long board back here with exactly the same instructions, so it can give him far more summer practice to refine without needing snow. We just use very smooth and gently sloping carparks here to bring techniques on.

And a catch all phrase to get him out of trouble, this from a lifelong snowboarder and Chamonix resident Very Happy "hang like a monkey and point where you want to go" it really does work. Puts your legs to flex properly, and orientates your shoulders to align with the board. It'll get him out of all types of wrong stance and easy to remember. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
only some flat greens in Courchevel area were troublemakers for my slow'ish girlfriend and still they were short, maybe 50meters walk unstrapped. VT is ideal. Were living in Les Menuires last time, in Orelle 5 years ago. Home run to the base of Les Menuires could have been a problem, but wasn't for the most part except one time. There is a possible of 200 meters walk waiting for anyone, who doesn't carry enough speed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oleski wrote:
@Layne, I didn't say it was no good, just not ideal due several notoriously long flats - Mottarret link you already mentioned, home run in VT, magic carpet area next to Peclet, Caron - Les Menuires run, etc. Most are avoidable of course, but still not ideal for a beginner boarder no matter how athletic.

Point taken.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mayrhofen is advertised as the best place for snowboarders, maybe they have very good snow park in mind, but I don't remember anywhere else my girlfriend had to walk so much unstrapped because of flat spots Smile some friends also had to walk, because skier mommas were blocking whole width of the piste while pushing themselves with poles and chatting Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosmoz wrote:
only some flat greens in Courchevel area were troublemakers for my slow'ish girlfriend and still they were short, maybe 50meters walk unstrapped. VT is ideal. Were living in Les Menuires last time, in Orelle 5 years ago. Home run to the base of Les Menuires could have been a problem, but wasn't for the most part except one time. There is a possible of 200 meters walk waiting for anyone, who doesn't carry enough speed.

I concur.
My daughter learned to snowboard in Val Thorens at 8 (just) and coudn't have gone better.
No drags, no tricky reds to get to easy blues, no real flats to speak off (can only remember a bit of uphill coming off Moraine bein a problem). I recommend the blue that runs parallel to the Caron gondola at the bottom of the resort as a nice practice piste.
She had lessons with Newgen and they were very good (6 years ago mind). Whatever you do, dont go with ESF for snowboarding lessosn.
snow conditions
Oleski wrote:
Do everything you can to help him hosepipe his radish. Nothing say snowboard cool like cashewing a reverse houseplant.

Is this some snowboarding slang? Google was no help.

No way you mega-square bellhorn...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1505033&highlight=freestyle+chat#1505033
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@Oleski, read again. I’m very serious.
If topresorts like Val Thorens, or e.g. St.Anton are not good for snowboarding, what is snowboarding good for?
You are aware snowboarding is seriously in decline, with sportshops offering fewer choice year after year?

Documentary filmed last spring featuring Langerzug

http://youtube.com/v/XPZDEWBzneY

It's fair to say boarding has its demographic challenges not least that many of its practioners are still clinging on to yoof in their 50s and 60s and aspiring to do something your grandad or grandma does is just not that cool to a teenager. But like all forms of snow sliding if you know you know. VT and the 3V as stated is largely absolutely dandy on a board (ok I had a bad day on those ice rills on the Peclet only EOSB day) except for the flattish bit back to town when starting from the Knife & Fork.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 15-10-19 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
Oleski wrote:
I know it's not an ideal resort for snowboarding.

Just think a little bit longer about how silly this remark his, talking about one of the greatest (and purpose-built) skiresorts of the world.
It is the other way around: Snowboarding is not ideal for Val Thorens. Or actually any skiresort. (Since you can hear that nonsense in about any great resort)
The problem is with snowboarding, not the other way around. And it all boils down to the silly idea of strapping your both legs together on a board.
Mother Nature gave us -landcreatures- two legs. It might be a sound idea to mimic a mermaid when surfing the waves, it is a very silly idea in the mountains.
And yes, we need poles too.
Your son is 9. He needs his father to make good decisions...And it is an important decision!

And should we get a man with a red flag to walk in front of him too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

While you're at it Langerzug, you could ban aeroplanes too, man was never intended to fly Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
[

snow shops is not everything, better look what manufacturers do. Nitro has 25 boards for men, burton has 30 models, ride has 14, Capita has 19 etc. people buying more online, shops are in decline.

even if it was in decline, who cares? If skiing was in decline, would you drop it? Gays are on a rise, will you follow the trend and kindly open your crack for Robert or Jake?

Competetive snowboarding, since it was taken over by skiing federation, started to fade. Take a guess, is it about snowboarding, or a federation that runs it?
snow report
wow, this is getting ugly.

@mods I found the answers I was looking for, time to close the thread. Thanks to all who contributed.
ski holidays
If you’re footing the bill for the holiday - you decide whether he’ll board.
I let my 11 year old son have a day here and there on a board after getting a solid grounding on skis between the ages of 3 and 10. He had one first day lesson but after just four days total on a board he can now travel the whole mountain with us - even ungroomed black slopes.
They pick things up very easily at that age.
We just hire gear for him.
He wears his ski clothes. They keep him warm.
snow report
@Oleski, Sorry don't mistake fooling around as ugly from us all.
snow conditions
I have skied, badly (thanks ESF) and boarded, fairly well (thanks Canada). I have never bought anything other than clothes; still rent boots etc. Have done maybe 8,9 weeks boarding in my ski clothes. Went back to skiing when my children started.

Got my children to ski, maybe 7-8 weeks by now, all rented gear. If they want to start boarding now they have a good grounding in skiing, they can. They will do it in ski clothes and rented boards and boots.

I think the radish is one of the more sensible posts on this thread and I’m still giggling about it now Smile
snow report
At the end of the day, if he sticks with snowboarding, he will get hotter girlfriends when he is older.
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
At the end of the day, if he sticks with snowboarding, he will get hotter girlfriends when he is older.

and if he's really lucky they'll have a job and a house and batroom where he can condition his dreadlocks wink
latest report
hang11 wrote:

and if he's really lucky they'll have a job and a house and batroom where he can condition his dreadlocks wink

If the house has a bathroom, it's probably better used to get a decent hydroponics setup going.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
If you’re footing the bill for the holiday - you decide whether he’ll board.

THIS is why you’re a skier, you’re pathetic Wink
ski holidays
Nothing like the internet to determine those with a sense of humour and those who don't.
I ski with boarders and it's great. I sometimes envy them - on the powder but I glad for my poles on the flat bits and at lifts.
Snowboarding grew massively in the 80s and nineties because it was cool and a very the working class kids could access the mountain as it was easier to learn and turn, particularly off piste. Some resorts embraced it and got rid of drags, has grunge bands playing on the mountain whilst other bands banned it.
Carver skis, Fat skis and skis that gave backwards meant skiing was suddenly easier and cheaper (you didn't need 5 weeks on snow under your belt to be doing decent parallels.

My son doesn't like skiing (I can finally say it after years of counselling) but he has expressed an interest in boarding . I hope it's a way he can go out enjoyed the mountains. As long as he doesn't bang on about being 'stoked' I'll be happy for him.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think most have a sense of humour about this, it's just the same ole same ole ...... bit of banter never goes amiss ....... although not all obviously .......

Anyway, this always comes up because everyone knows 'boarding is way cooler than skiing, that's why most skiers have a chip on their shoulder and just can't stop rising to the bait ....... driven by the fact a fair few have even tried to 'board but can't coz it's not as 'easy' as everyone else said it was ........ wink rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
I tried skiing once and it was amazing how different it made me feel. I went from being a snowboarding rad dad to putting on skis and almost immediately feeling like a slightly overweight miserable middle aged loser. It almost started feeling like it would be ok to wear sunnies with a helmet!

Just bizarre. Strapped on a board and felt completely normal again.

Won’t be trying skiing again.
latest report
@BCjohnny, I don't mind a bit of banter until it gets ugly as in tovarishch kosmoz's post
latest report
hang11 ...... I tried skis very briefly a few months back, as a 'favour' to someone ....... likewise, Bambi on ice, absolutely deadly contraptions .....
latest report
Interesting and candid article (unlike the ‘in denial’ in this forum...)
https://www.snowmagazine.com/features/1246-focus-on/is-snowboarding-dead

Especially the last paragraph:
“But what about this 45-year-old snowboarder? Am I ski curious? Would I switch to skis? Yes but no; the old adage ‘you can’t teach an old dog new tricks’ prevails for me. But would I snowboard if I was starting out on the snow now – or even if today’s skis had been available when I switched all those years ago? Probably not…”

@Oleski, Maybe this would help to convince your son? You don’t want him to say (or -seeing this thread- more likely: silently think) the same when he is 45, do you?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 16-10-19 10:36; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Oleski ...... certainly, like I said 'not all' ....... not making excuses but maybe it's lost in translation?

A lot of stuff gets said TIC, it's often not easy to to determine what's what unless you can see the persons face ...... all those evolutionary behavioural mannerisms wink

But seriously ....... if your lad wants a crack at it give it a go.

Don't spend a fortune on stuff, no need for new clobber and plenty of good used 'hard kit' available, but renting might be good enough for the first couple of weeks ....... you certainly don't need the latest 'trick of the week' five hundred quid fancy bindings and dedicated boots.

One thing that won't happen is your quest for 'mileage' ....... not yet anyway ....... so as said it's either part time 'boarding or separate main slopetime, to prevent fraying everyone's nerves ........ however it goes, genuinely good luck.
ski holidays
Langerzug ........ "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" ........

Granted, in Europe it certainly has dropped off, but not in more 'enlightened' parts of the world ....... wink Confused Very Happy
snow report
@BCjohnny, those are my thoughts as well more or less, the Jr loves making a lot of mileage as well so will probably see sense. Rental it is for now until I see how serious he is, because we have been through this already with football and karate and what not.
ski holidays
both skiing and snowboarding is pretty expensive. Young generations, often living with parents until 30's, can't afford that. Old dads can. One, who wants to start having fun asap will be better of on skis, it's much easier to get going. This is why snowboarding will never be as massive as skiing is.

Even if I was the only boarder on earth, I couldn't care less. It will still slide downhill, all infrastructure is good enough to get up in chairlifts and drag lifts.

The worst dad can do is not to let his kids be kids, put them in a frame of activities, hobbies, education. It's more often than not is wasted investments, wasted time and ruined relationships.
snow report
@Langerzug, good grief, he just wants to have fun on the slopes, do you seriously expect me to have the "think about your future, son" talk with him?
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
@BCjohnny, those are my thoughts as well more or less, the Jr loves making a lot of mileage as well so will probably see sense. Rental it is for now until I see how serious he is, because we have been through this already with football and karate and what not.

Well I can certainly relate to that. My kids have been through rugby, gymnastics hockey, parkour plus a few other minor flirtations. I keep telling myself it will pay off in the head because they will have a good grounding in lots of different things - and that they can always get back into it early, or indeed late, adulthood.

Ski holidays are an outlier in the sense it ticks a number of boxes - family holiday, different environment/culture, good exercise/fitness, etc. Me and the wife both skied plenty before we had kids. Although neither of us board we don't have a downer on it and so are happy as much as possible to facilitate the learning of both.

It does require a bit of patience in the learning process but as I learned over time skiing mums and dads have to prepared to take a hit on their own fun if they want to ski/board with their kids.
snow report
Quote:

It does require a bit of patience in the learning process but as I learned over time skiing mums and dads have to prepared to take a hit on their own fun if they want to ski/board with their kids.

Same goes for riding with significant other. My mileage per day would easily double the current if I was riding with friends. She knows it and during holiday lets me go with the boys for half a day a few times during the week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy