Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

9 y.o switching to snowboarding. Need advice

Poster: A snowHead
You'd think it won't happen to you, until it does ...

Oleski Jr has tried out snowboarding this weekend in Hemel and is "almost certainly going to switch", subject to another intensive coaching session.

I know next to nothing about the sport, but I have always been under an impression that boarders almost invariably own their boards. Is there a good reason (customisation, poor rental equipment quality) or is it just a cool thing to do? In other words do I need to rush with buying a board for him or rental is fine for the first season? What about boots, do they need to be fitted in the same way skiing boots do, or do I just nip into a store with him and get anything off the shelf that fits?

I am definitely not buying "snowboarding" clothes just yet as his skiing stuff is one season old, but do I need any additional accessories? Something to protect the precious backside may be?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good instructor in Val Thorens? I know it's not an ideal resort for snowboarding, but I am not going to change the holiday plans now.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rental snowboard gear is often lamentable, with worn bindings and heavy plates, so it's often a good idea to buy your own gear. That said second hand kit is a good plan for kids gear - I picked up a board, boots and bindings cheaply on SH last season when eldest wanted to cross over to my side for a while.

Don't fret too much about armouring Jnr up. They'll take a lump or two but they rarely get more than bruises, it's the older, fartier, community who snap more easily.

We went with Evo2 in Val Thorens, very happy with the progress both kids made and at 9yo you won't have any issues with age restrictions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would only make 2 comments:

- Make sure that your Son is definitely going to go to The Dark Side, before shelling out too much money. My Son briefly dabbled with Snowboarding, before going back to skiing.

- Every time I have used Evo2 (Espace Killy), they have been great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boots is a must have. Same story as with ski boots, need a pair that fits, some customisation migh be needed at bootfitter if funky shaped feet.

nothing wrong with renting, but at rentplace you will get some generic, beat up board with rental bindings, and in many places it's forbidden to ride park on rental boards.

Get some good wristguards for your kiddo. And a helmet. Crash pants, elbows, knees are not so much needed, unless riding a lot in a park. But wristguards is a must have.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My lad started snowboarding when he was 8 by doing a bit on the home slope after lift closing (hired gear).

I then got a board and some boots off of ebay for the next season. He then did two or three afternoons an has gradually built up from there. He is now 14. Neither me or the wife are boarders. He hasn't had any lessons. In the last couple of years he would do approx 65/35 split skiing/boarding although on the last trip he was keener to do consecutive days of each rather than one day on, one day off. If we are going to do something gnarly, like a ridge traverse, we plan it and let him know so he can be on skis. Although in April he was happily skiing off piste at Mont Vallon for example. He's now on his third set of boots/board - all purchased second hand.

He doesn't wear any extra protection and wears the same clothes for skiing or boarding.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can definitely recommend a pair of crash shorts and knee pads, Jr will be spending a lot of time getting to know the snow at ground level Smile

There's some debate around wrist guards, some swear by them and some don't.

You shouldn't necessarily need any new clothing, as long as Jr can bend and squat in the kit. they'll be fine.

Once you get past the beginner's stage, the quality of rental boards available in most resorts becomes very patchy, hence board ownership.

And finally, you now have the added entertainment of watching them fall over.... remember, if you're not falling, you're not trying! Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 14-10-19 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Oleski, If this were my child and the rest of the family were confident skiers, I would do all I could to encourage them to keep skiing whilst I was paying for the holidays! Maybe treat them to a snowboard lesson on a couple of afternoons.

My teenage daughter is going on the school ski trip this year and there is no snowboarding option. Therefore I am glad she has got to ESF gold level with skiing and will be able to enjoy the more challenging runs and be assessed on her skiing for PE GCSE.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there are religious groups in the deep south of America that do correction courses. I think it's a sixth month residential.
I believe it's expensive but if you love your kid, not to mention the potential shame and embarrassment for your family.

God made Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Brad with long hair and baggy trousers....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Narrow pants, narrow minds...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
old farts, why so jealous for someone trying to have fun on the hill? After a few seasons on skis you get to a level, where it's only sightseeing using skis as a transport method or getting gnarly AF, risking your health, because anything slower than 60mph just doesn't cut it. Get over it, skiing is a great sport, but boring way to spend time on a hill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kosmoz wrote:
old farts, why so jealous for someone trying to have fun on the hill? After a few seasons on skis you get to a level, where it's only sightseeing using skis as a transport method or getting gnarly AF, risking your health, because anything slower than 60mph just doesn't cut it. Get over it, skiing is a great sport, but boring way to spend time on a hill.

That was not how my suggestions were meant to be interpreted.

I'm not in the slightest bit Jealous of anyone having fun on the hill. My suggestions were made in good faith and based on my personal experience, with a Son who briefly took up Snowboarding around the same age.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m a BOF and think snowboarding is a great idea. I’d have hoped he’d wait another couple of years for a bit more upper body strength but expect he’ll be fine.

Decent quality helmet. Definitely wristguards. Good instruction until competent on narrower blue pistes at least.

Expect much frustration and possibly a few tears in early stages.
snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Old Fartbag, your nickname is just a coincidence, didn't have particularly you in mind. Laughing had general skier portrait in my mind Wink

your son is exception from the "rule", that once someone try sideways - never goes back on skis. I have 5 friends, that tried boarding and only one returned back to skis, other 4 stayed "sideways".

@PeakyB, upper body strength has nothing to do with snowboarding. Turning is made with feet, not by rotating torso Wink Torso strength is needed once you start spinning in the air, not while you ride on the snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosmoz wrote:
@Old Fartbag, your nickname is just a coincidence, didn't have particularly you in mind. Laughing had general skier portrait in my mind Wink

your son is exception from the "rule", that once someone try sideways - never goes back on skis. I have 5 friends, that tried boarding and only one returned back to skis, other 4 stayed "sideways".

That's fair enough.

I'm just glad I didn't fully kit him out for what turned out to be 6 days Snowboarding. If he took to it, that would have been totally different. Kids can be fickle.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Boots is a must have. Same story as with ski boots, need a pair that fits, some customisation migh be needed at bootfitter if funky shaped feet.

Personally I'd disagree. I agree that rental boots are probably going to be on the lower end for performance, although generally they will be comfortable enough and perform ok for a beginner. I don't know any snowboarder with customised boots, at most it's heat moulded liners and insoles. A lot (me included) just ride them straight out the box. Not comparable to skiing where boots often need a lot of molding, blowing out and work to make comfortable from what I've seen.

Not sure how effective wrist guards actually are. Best thing is to learn how to fall correctly and not put wrists out - perhaps harder than it sounds as a little counterintuitive. Most people I know didn't really wear much padding when learning, yes the first few days will be a little painful but not that bad especially at 9.

I agree I wouldn't invest so much in equipment yet. Indoors is one thing, but resort is another. As a beginner snowboarder he may get frustrated very quick getting stuck on flats and not being able to keep up with skiers and want to switch back. Rental equipments in resorts is not as bad as it once was, in fact if you search around can often find something good. Even the not so good stuff is likely to be adequate for a beginner.

Quote:

not buying "snowboarding" clothes just yet as his skiing stuff is one season old

There is a difference? Or are we still using the stereotypical snowboarders all wear baggy clothes? Toofy Grin
snow report
Jus to note while I went to solutions4feet and the full 9 yards when buying ski boots for myself my kids have made do with second hand and therefore not customised ski boots.

Snowboards I would argue are even more forgiving.
ski holidays
Thank you everyone, good advice.

Sounds like the best strategy will be to get him a couple of days worth of board rental and lessons to see how it goes. Or may be just board and let him mess around on the nursery slopes after the main lifts are closed. Or a mix of both.

Especially since we will want to cover a lot of km across all 3 valleys and doing it with a beginner snowboarder will be tedious.
snow report
My son skis and boards (he is 9) He had K2 boots before and has gone to Burton boots and keeps saying they aren't stiff enough. Def look at getting him his own boots. There is quite a lot out there on ebay. My son probably splits about 70/30 ski to board but prefers his board in softer spring snow (not surprising I know).

I think it's great when they do both.
snow report
If you really want to buy the kid some gear then decathlon stuff will be fine

But given how kids grow there's a lot of good 2nd hand stuff around on gumtree and ebay

As has been said on here I take my own gear because boards are often an after thought at rental shops. Some of the stuff I've seen has been pretty shoddy
snow conditions
Quote:

keeps saying they aren't stiff enough

Yes but as a beginner OPs son is going to want something more flexible. It's another reason not to buy, the real beginner stuff is going to get grown out of fast once ability increases.
ski holidays
We kitted out my son at 9 years old, boots board etc - within a year he had grown out of the lot. I'd hire or buy second hand 100%

This was after spending £££ on ski lessons down at Tamworth Laughing
latest report
You need to enroll him on a correction course. The baggy trousers. long hair and drugs is only the start. You only have to read above to see the sense of humour soon fades too. Smile

If it looks like it's genetic and beyond personality modification then there are things precautions you can take.

Avoid VW festivals or they'll just get a camper and start surfing too.
Get voice recognition software attached to a groin mounted TASER and get it to activate on detecting the word 'stoked'
Cut their hair in the night whilst they're unaware
Take family holidays in resorts full of drag lifts just to wee wee them off
choose pistes with lots of flat bits
latest report
Pfft... Groady rolling eyes you, sir, are sans steez
ski holidays
Could you just not sell him and get another son?
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:

I think the value falls to zero.as soon as they venture down the dark side. Once your parents pit.it on the net, there's no chance of selling.
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
T Bar wrote:

I think the value falls to zero.as soon as they venture down the dark side. Once your parents pit.it on the net, there's no chance of selling.

I'm sure he could be trained to sweep chimneys.
snow conditions
@Oleski, great to see a young person interested in boarding.
ski holidays
@Oleski, ...at age 11 ValaisGrom decided that he wanted to snowboard. I inwardly groaned since the injury profile for boarders makes pretty grim reading compared with skiing. But I went with it. Back protector, helmet, gore tex mittens with wristgaurds.

Roll forward four weeks of boarding and he started carving on his board all over the mountain. He was asked '...how many years have you been boarding?...' by one park rat, who thought that four weeks was a complete wind-up. Three years on, I now trust ValaisGrom on his board. How did this all happen? Alaine. That's how. For skiing, it was Carole - brilliant teacher who got the Grom up to competition level in about three seasons. For boarding it was Alaine. A sports psychologist working for Yves Caillet's brilliant battalion of coaches in Crans Montana, he gave ValaisGrom mornings-only 1:1 lessons, where he learned the very best technique from day one, along with a brilliant mental attitude to building skills slowly. It's true that the Grom is slightly different from some youngsters since he listens carefully to coaches, respects them, and implements everything they say to the letter. He spends a lot of time with elite athletes and knows what's needed to get to their elevated level - attention, dedication and huge effort. But 1:1 is just SO good. In the afternoons ValaisGrom was wasted, and basically collapsed over lunch and then went out for a couple of circuits before a sleep. Boy did this approach pay off. We hired a board and boots for the first few days. Then the next trip I bought boa boots and a top Rome youth board. Worth every penny. Got 50% back on resale, overall cost less than hiring.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must admit I have the odd pang of jealousy seeing my son ripping down the slopes on a board aswell as on ski's.

There... I said it!
snow report
Do everything you can to help him hosepipe his radish. Nothing say snowboard cool like cashewing a reverse houseplant.

Athletic kids will take to it super quickly. It's just like skiing but with more admin/ less crap.
snow report
my daughters started at 2 or 3 years old, and been doing minimum 30 days a season since - 20 and 18 now. Both strong snowboarders.

I'm really glad that they took to snowboarding (like their old man) and that I've never had to buy them tight pants, jackets with contrasty zips that match the tight pants, helmets with a gap on the forehead, a BMW to get them up the hill or had to hang out with all the pageant mums at competitions.

If I could give any advice, after waaaayyy too many evenings hanging out in the fracture clinic, get some wrist guards for the first few weeks.

Wouldnt worry too much about the board and bindings, they don't need to be anything special, but good fitting boots are a must.
snow report
Quote:

boa boots

Quite a decisive topic among snowboarders. Some like them some dont. A lot more hassle to replace than regular laces if they snap.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

boa boots

Quite a decisive topic among snowboarders. Some like them some dont. A lot more hassle to replace than regular laces if they snap.

Pain in the rear IMO with kids. They destroy them. Speed laces all the way, nice and easy to fix on the hill if needed.
ski holidays
Send him here...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148976&highlight=

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@kosmoz, thank you, I know that upper body strength has nothing to do with turning a snowboard.

It is useful in the early stages of learning, to push yourself back up after falling over. Maybe I fell over more than most people, but even on the flats, I was able to push back upright again.

Should not be a problem for a fit and active 9 year old.
snowHead
ski holidays
Disagree about the Boa. Ime they are fine for kids. Never had an issue with them, and never had one snap in dealing with them for nigh on 15 years
snow conditions
it's easier for someone, who already skied, to start snowboarding, because the mechanics of how snowboard and skis turn is pretty much the same, one need to use sidecut. I remember my brother after two seasons on skis jumped on an snowboard and it just clicked, no private lessons, nothing, just told him what to do, what not to do, stood up and rode, rode switch after two hours in a snowdome. I was simply amazed. Myself needed to bust up my ass big time before being confident on a board. Then bought impact shorts. And knee pads, but simple ones, from volleyball, just to have more comfort while on my knees waiting for slower comrades. And wrist guards came after i broke my wrist and thorn some tendons (wrist). It wasn't usual fall on the but, it was to much confidence in the park on kickers, impact with a torque on a wrist.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
I know it's not an ideal resort for snowboarding.

Just think a little bit longer about how silly this remark his, talking about one of the greatest (and purpose-built) skiresorts of the world.
It is the other way around: Snowboarding is not ideal for Val Thorens. Or actually any skiresort. (Since you can hear that nonsense in about any great resort)
The problem is with snowboarding, not the other way around. And it all boils down to the silly idea of strapping your both legs together on a board.
Mother Nature gave us -landcreatures- two legs. It might be a sound idea to mimic a mermaid when surfing the waves, it is a very silly idea in the mountains.
And yes, we need poles too.
Your son is 9. He needs his father to make good decisions...And it is an important decision!
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
Oleski wrote:
I know it's not an ideal resort for snowboarding.

Just think a little bit longer about how silly this remark his, talking about one of the greatest (and purpose-built) skiresorts of the world.
It is the other way around: Snowboarding is not ideal for Val Thorens. Or actually any skiresort. (Since you can hear that nonsense in about any great resort)
The problem is with snowboarding, not the other way around. And it all boils down to the silly idea of strapping your both legs together on a board.
Mother Nature gave us -landcreatures- two legs. It might be a sound idea to mimic a mermaid when surfing the waves, it is a very silly idea in the mountains.
And yes, we need poles too.
Your son is 9. He needs his father to make good decisions...And it is an important decision!

Just think a little bit longer about how silly this remark is.
latest report
Maybe try and inspire him to continue to ski...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148976#3458503
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy