Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring set up for shorties

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been trying (for over a year!) to find a seemingly impossible set up.

Can anyone give me recommendations of some touring ski’s that are pretty light but can handle the cruddy down/fairly forgiving for the upper intermediate skier? The issue- must come in a 153cm! Or smaller...

Intended use- light enough for fairly long ski tours and descents in the alps(eg. Mt buet in Chamonix, Gran Paradiso) stable enough for the crud there and classic Scottish ski descents, approaches to rock and mixed climbs up high. Will be paired with light pin bindings.

Context- I’m just about 5ft and 45kg, so not exactly charging... (steeps... I’m working on it, tho easier Scottish gulleys are fine) the only ones I seem to find short enough are some skimo models eg. Dynafit tour, Scott superguides which at my skill level I’ve found harder to keep control/an edge in challenging conditions. So many brands don’t even go that small- black crow etc.

Aware this might be a fairly big ask and that solution could be get stronger/better but any recommendations would be very useful!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could get some approach skis, such as those made by Hagan (Off Limits). They would be ideal for Scotland. Skins will be cheap too Happy - a couple of meters off the roll and you are sorted.

I've no idea what 5ft is and I notice you mix metric and imperial which seems strange. But 5' sounds fairly short to me.

I've skied some very steep and gnarly couloirs on approach skis, but it is nearly cheating as they turn so easily. You'll make all the dudes on big mountain skis hate you like Greta.

I've also skied deep powder fields with them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi and welcome snowHead

My initial reaction is to skill up if you're struggling with the skis you've tried. You'll be able to go a little bigger then too, which will increase your options, as well as it being safer for you if you've got a wider pool of skills to pull from when you get off the beaten track and into trickier terrain.

Which size Superguides did you try? I'm a little bigger than you at 5'4" and 53kg, but ski 168 and 171 size skis off piste. You could probably get up to 160 or so with a rockered ski and not find it too big. The Scott Scrapper comes in a wide range of lengths, too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, 5' is about 152.5cm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5ft is 152cm. Mixing metric and imperial is something I do as I was brought up with both in the 70's. My height is something I know as an imperial measurement and would have to convert to metric as I just don't know it.
As to the original question I have no idea I'm afraid
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pieman666 wrote:
5ft is 152cm. Mixing metric and imperial is something I do as I was brought up with both in the 70's. My height is something I know as an imperial measurement and would have to convert to metric as I just don't know it.
As to the original question I have no idea I'm afraid

Ok thanks.

As an adide I think metric has been standard in British schools since the late 1960s... the op is Scottish based.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Torridon>Tigne, the Scott Superguide 88W in 154cm & 1150g per ski would be good for you. Their rockered tip means you should ski them long but their almost flat tail means the tail length isn't so long as to cause difficulties when kick turning etc.

If you want something a bit heavier for better crud busting then go for the Scott Scrapper 90 in 152cm & 1420g per ski. There's some rocker in the tail of the Scrapper so the mount point will be a bit further forward compared to the above Superguide so the tail length would be a bit longer but it still won't be too long to cause a problem. The Scrapper 90 is specifically designed for smaller adult skiers but it still has a proper construction as opposed to that found in many 'junior' skis of this length. Plus it's inexpensive with a list price of only £290 in the flat and Scott do a skin for it. Plus a well known Scott dealer ( wink )would probably give you a nice discount off that if you were buying ski, binding, skin & crampon package Toofy Grin.
https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-scrapper-90?article=2717909992172
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mrs A loves her Movement Feathers - 159cm, 1.0kg per ski.

Sadly, these are no longer available but Movement still make women-specific (and even junior) touring skis in some very short lengths:

https://www.movementskis.com/technical-overview-skis.html

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2487193
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="davidof"]
pieman666 wrote:

As an adide I think metric has been standard in British schools since the late 1960s... the op is Scottish based.

That's true - but we are a strange bunch. I think the majority of us still talk of height in feet and inches and bodyweight in stones; and talk of mpg despite buying fuel in litres; and distances are still measured in miles. Though of course we are all metric when it comes to ski lengths. rolling eyes

Mind, we no longer speak of shillings! wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a bit bigger than you -- 5'6" and 58kg. I have K2 Wayback 88. 174cms with Dynafit somethings. Don't use them much as these days I mostly tele -- but they are very light, adaptable to pretty much anything other than rock hard piste. They have a small rocker so they ski shorter than you would expect. I think the 160cm would suit you down to the ground.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233387583186
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of these two would be ideal (lighter won't help with crud, and these are light enough if you're reasonably fit):

https://www.sport-conrad.com/produkte/salomon/qst-lumen-99-sc.html

https://www.sport-conrad.com/produkte/salomon/qst-lux-92.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy