Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School Ski Trip - was it worth it ?

Poster: A snowHead
Eldest son returned from his 'first' ski trip with school (he's in year 9). Half term in Austria. Seems to have cost 'the average' based on previous topics on the subject of school ski trips. But, was it worth it ?

He is a competent skier, happy on reds and dipping a toe on the blacks, and he certainly didn't need to go away just for the opportunity to ski this year (we head out at easter for our family trip)

On the down side, he's had two really quite challenging long distance coach/ferry/coach journeys and was delayed 6 hours at Calais on return last night. The first 'text' we got on his first night was that he hated the room he was in and the other kids he was rooming with.

On the plus side, a weeks worth of independence, having to sort his own stuff out for a week and take responsibility for getting ready for a day on the slopes each day... some great skiing and some excited texts home each night about the 'jumps' he'd done, the speed he'd achieved and the number of blacks he'd done...and the kids in his room "weren't that bad, after all"

He got home at about midnight last night proper exhausted after the 30 hour return trip.

Would he go again? Beaming smiles - "Of course", "absolutely", Should we send our second born when the time is right ? "Without doubt"

Was it worth it....? Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I run an annual college ski trip to Austria.

Yes, it's great to introduce the kids to winter sports...its not something they would necessarily have the opportunity to do (or sometimes the desire - I can be very persuasive).

However, the change in personality and or behaviour these young people reveal in one week never ceases to amaze me.

It's a yes from me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting post. My eldest didn’t even tell me about the ski trip when it came up during last school year (for Feb 2021, when she will be in yr 10) first I knew about it was an email saying it was full.

Letter came through just before this half term to say, there were some space now. She is now umming and ahing about does she want to go. The coach transfer is main thing putting her off.

There is a part of me that feels with such limited numbers that the space should go to those who wouldn’t otherwise get to ski, my daughter has gone most years since she was 4 and some years we have managed two trips.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ my daughter Y9 just came back from hers. She had fun but there was a lot less skiing than she is used to with the family - just 4 hours and back in the middle for lunch which was very limiting as she could only get an hour away before having to come back again. Bizarrely their lessons began after 11 and no skiing allowed before (we were told otherwise before she went...)
She is used to going all over the resort with lunch on the mountain. She got a lot out of being/skiing with friends but it took a couple of days to get the groups right and for her to get some interesting skiing (first day or two was all blues and quite slow in a huge group).

Socially she thought it was worth it but from a skiing perspective far better to come on the family holiday. So perhaps consider who else is going (friends or a nice crowd to make new friendships) if she is keen.

A ski trip at Easter (when she didn’t miss the family holiday) in Y6 was much more of a success in terms of skiing and developing personal independence. By Y9/10 I think they are more than capable anyway. I agree the trips are more of a benefit for those who maybe wouldn’t otherwise ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So far 3/4 of mine have been on the school ski trip, and each time have had a brilliant time.

The interesting point from my perspective us that #3 was in the 'top' group on her trip, despite not being a particularly experienced or confident skier. She enjoyed herself and kept explaining that "the Yr8 boys were so annoying they kept falling over." She didn't feel over stretched at any point which probably says something good about their instructor's skill in leading a group of mixed teens.

For the last couple of trips the school has only been able to offer skiing in formal ESF lessons, whereas previously the children had been able to add on a hour of free skiing with their school teachers. Insurance limitations, as far as we can tell.

A teenager who has been skiing most years since they could stand, as some Snowheads children have, might find that a bit frustrating.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I also meant to say they had a bad experience on the coach transfer (taking double the time it should have) and we also felt rather nervous knowing she was flying with an Eastern European airline we had never even heard of before the trip. All fine though rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice post, mine just flew off to Switzerland this morning, also Y9. Still not sure if she will ski (maybe 8 weeks of lessons already) or board (newbie, wanted to for years but no one else signed up for it).
For me it is less the skiing and more the independence. And that includes the bad times. Things don’t always go right in life; deal with it Smile
She spent a week last summer in the Lake District on an Outward Bound course, didn’t know anyone else. Has been asking to go back ever since.
Now her friend is going skiing with her, apparently terrified at being away from home for a week for the first time and really happy my daughter is going too. I’m trusting mine to look after her Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My grandson has just returned from his first school ski trip (Year 9). He thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the long coach journey to Austria. He has been skiing with parents since he was 5 so the main benefits seem to have been making new friends and gaining confidence. The trip was oversubscribed and names drawn out of a hat. I think the school might reasonably have given priority to pupils who had never skied before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My son went on the school trip when he was in year 10, having been skiing with us every year since he was 5. In year 11 our family trip had to be the same week as the school trip, and he chose to go with school with all his mates. Speaks for itself, really!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went on my school ski holiday in 1981. First ski experience ever. For me it was worth it ......it started a lifetime of skiing. Madeye-Smiley

I suppose the difference here is a lot of snowHead offspring have already had the opportunity to ski before the ‘school ski trip’ option come up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The experiences in my life that were worth the most were those that stretched me the most.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marodo2712 wrote:
The experiences in my life that were worth the most were those that stretched me the most.

Learn more useful life lessons when things dont go smoothly.
Kids get too pampered these days a few hours stuck in a coach is nothing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Son went on Feb half term trip to small Austrian resort. About £1k overall cost about 5 years ago. Overall enjoyed it. Skiing less demanding than usual but that wasn’t a priority. Coach all the way, through the night, was the main negative. Social and personal development benefits made it worthwhile I think.

Alternate years his school did a trip to USA. About 5 days skiing plus a day in New York. About £2k and with likely jet lag on return we all agreed no thanks.

The week of the last PSB, mid December, there was a school group, heading to Alpe D’Huez, on my flight to Geneva. Unless they break for Christmas very early, I guess they were allowed a week off school. They got lucky with snow conditions that week and seemed a very happy bunch on the return flight. I imagine cost would be way lower than Feb or Easter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robs1, +1 though long coach journeys boring and difficult to sleep.

Lots of cheaper longer term opportunities for challenges, personal development, eg Duke if Ed Award, Scouts, sports clubs. Participation grown a lot in popularity last decade or so.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yep, without my Dad organising school trips starting in the 50's and 60's I'd never have seen skiing. Took me when I was about 6 first time with a load of secondary school kids from Warrington. Loved it.

Many family trips to school type accommodation thanks to Hourmont etc. Did a proper school trip, where I learned a lot more than skiing.....
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
Son went on Feb half term trip to small Austrian resort. About £1k overall cost about 5 years ago. Overall enjoyed it. Skiing less demanding than usual but that wasn’t a priority. Coach all the way, through the night, was the main negative. Social and personal development benefits made it worthwhile I think.

Alternate years his school did a trip to USA. About 5 days skiing plus a day in New York. About £2k and with likely jet lag on return we all agreed no thanks.

The week of the last PSB, mid December, there was a school group, heading to Alpe D’Huez, on my flight to Geneva. Unless they break for Christmas very early, I guess they were allowed a week off school. They got lucky with snow conditions that week and seemed a very happy bunch on the return flight. I imagine cost would be way lower than Feb or Easter.

Could well have been a private school either earlier holidays or a lot send their ski teams out early December to compete in Independent Schools ski competitions.
snow conditions
All my 3 have been on school trips and me as an accompanying adult as my ex-wife is a head teacher and I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. Seeing the kids grow confidence (not just skiing) is amazing. The skiing is limited compared to family trips as was said above however.
snow conditions
My daughter never went on a school trip or wanted to. We used to go together at half term and Easter and I asked her several times if she wanted to swap one for a school trip. She took the view though that the skiing wouldn't be as good, most of the skiers weren't as good and none of her real friends were likely to go. She skied with the same kids every Easter here from various parts of the country with excellent tuition which was her favourite ski trip. I still see some of them here, now in their early 20s like my daughter.
ski holidays
I went on 2 school trips, one was the first skiing i'd ever done, to Winter Park, CO. We had lessons all day from what I remember, at a guess I would say we started at 9 or 10, and finished at the end of the day, around 3pm over there. I was in Yr 8 at the time.

The second was with a different school after we moved to the west country, and by this time I was in Yr 12, and this time we went to Wagrain. Again skied all day, it was the last week of the season in April, and our instructors last season teaching. I was top group and we had loads of fun. Massive snow storm on night 2 meant off piste all day for our 2nd day of skiing.

100% I would go on school trips again if was still in school, or if I turned the clocks back.

That said, neither of the trips were done by coach, we flew for both of them.
latest report
Both my daughters went on their school ski trips.
There were nerves with roomies, going by coach and getting on with mates while away.
Both loved it.
I never had a school ski trip in the 70s/80s, but was lucky to have countless school rugby tours and trips.
Going away builds character and teaches a bit of independence.
But that opens up a whole big can of economic and social worms
snow report
Going on a school ski trip (which became trips) changed my life for the better, as a child and as an adult. Impossible to overstate how influential it was, and not just in terms of discovering a new hobby (now turned in to a career choice) that otherwise I probably wouldn't have experienced. Looking back I now understand how much of a financial struggle this was for my parents, but they and I have no doubt it was money well spent. I don't think that a theoretical family ski holiday (which was not an option) would have benefitted me anywhere near what I got from the school ski trip.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Going on a school ski trip (which became trips) changed my life for the better, as a child and as an adult. Impossible to overstate how influential it was, and not just in terms of discovering a new hobby (now turned in to a career choice) that otherwise I probably wouldn't have experienced. Looking back I now understand how much of a financial struggle this was for my parents, but they and I have no doubt it was money well spent. I don't think that a theoretical family ski holiday (which was not an option) would have benefitted me anywhere near what I got from the school ski trip.

I did two school ski trips and they were brilliant for me. We never skied as a family. They opened up a sport which I love.
But when I went in the 80s the trips were in term time and so MUCH cheaper. I don't think my parents would have paid the price that the trips cost now.

I have encouraged my kids to go on a school ski trip because I think they would have a fun time with their mates. But both of them independently decided that they would prefer to come skiing with us mainly because they will do more interesting skiing with me (but also partly around which if their mates were and were not going etc). On balance I would have liked them to do a school trip but they had perfectly good reasons for not doing them.
latest report
I'm wondering what are the implications for the future. I'll find out at the end of this week! She won't go skiing with us AND school, too pricey, so will have to choose. I guess it will be "fun with mates" vs "more interesting skiing". In the interests of fairness I already owe the younger one a similar trip when she will be old enough.

All this assumes snow levels will be suitable in future Sad
snow report
For myself personally (and my family) NOT getting a place on the school trip was probably best thing to happen to us and it tipped the balance for Mum and Dad to book a whole family ski holiday for the first time for all of us. We have just got back from a week with 3 generations all skiing together!
snow report
Thanks for all comments. I should add that both my wife and I, when discussing letting him go, valued the experience of the 'trip' more than the 'ski' part of it. But we had two key motivations:

1). independence and social experience (a full week away from us and his two brothers rather than the 3 to 4 days he has experienced on school trips / scout camps to date)
2). Self confidence - he is appalling at any regular school sport (he would happily admit to this - last to be picked in any team game). To have some time when he wasn't physically at the bottom of the pile seemed like a good thing.

Listening to his stories over dinner last night, it certainly seemed to meet those two goals, and he had great skiing to boot!
snow conditions
My daughter is just back from her school ski trip and had an amazing time. Epic coach journey back (due to also getting stuck in delays at Calais) but hotel very good and had hot lunches at mountain restaurant. The skiing was good fun and some of it more adventurous than the skiing we do on family holidays. Had some funny off piste anecdotes. They had a programme of evening activities.

She did not have close friends on the trip and but was not worried about that. I think one of the great things about school trips is moving slightly outside one's comfort zone and gaining increased confidence as a result.
snow report
Only one of ours has been on a school trip - had a great time as a holiday but said amount of time skiing was very limited. 2 hours morning and afternoon. Wasn't interested in going again.

@Richie_S, pretty similar result for him as the 2 points you list
snow report
Richie_S wrote:
Thanks for all comments. I should add that both my wife and I, when discussing letting him go, valued the experience of the 'trip' more than the 'ski' part of it. But we had two key motivations:

1). independence and social experience (a full week away from us and his two brothers rather than the 3 to 4 days he has experienced on school trips / scout camps to date)
2). Self confidence - he is appalling at any regular school sport (he would happily admit to this - last to be picked in any team game). To have some time when he wasn't physically at the bottom of the pile seemed like a good thing.

Listening to his stories over dinner last night, it certainly seemed to meet those two goals, and he had great skiing to boot!

Your 1 and 2 definitely sound like a win!
I'll be waiting to hear if mine gives a review like Boris - I think it's 2.5 hours morning and afternoon but will they do the exciting stuff that Dad lets them do (while Mum isn't looking!) ?
If it's only for the independence, dispassionately the Outward Bound week in the summer seems like better value.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Orange200 wrote:
Richie_S wrote:

Your 1 and 2 definitely sound like a win!
I'll be waiting to hear if mine gives a review like Boris - I think it's 2.5 hours morning and afternoon but will they do the exciting stuff that Dad lets them do (while Mum isn't looking!) ?
If it's only for the independence, dispassionately the Outward Bound week in the summer seems like better value.

I have both my girls booked into PGL for a week in the summer (mainly as I am struggling with getting enough child care that I can book locally to offset difference between school holidays and my leave from work), glad it should have other benefits!
latest report
My (year 9) daughter got back from her school trip at the weekend and she was buzzing for the whole week (via what's app). Despite reservations about going at all, and then which of her friends would/wouldn't go, she had an absolutely fantastic time. Her school seemed to get the balance of skiing / other activities just right.

Despite 27 hours of bus travel each way, her only complaint seemed to be some people in their group that stopped them from skiing more black runs!

On day 2 of her trip she begged to go again this year - which convinced my wife, so family bash, here we come!

She's already talking about the next school ski trip with her friends!
ski holidays
My son is off to France and of March with his school. He is y5 and skis anything and everything as well as race training at local dry slope. It's not just about the skiing. It's that first freedom, independence and get on with it for a week. I have taken ski trips for y4 to y8 and they all had a ball. He has had a couple of wobbles about a whole week away (his birthday is Whilst he is away) but I know he will love it.
latest report
I don't know of a kid that hasn't loved their school ski trip.
ski holidays
We had loss of drinking, fighting and sh@@ging on our school trips.

But I think teachers are better behaved now ?! Very Happy
snow report
Mine have been skiing since they were about 6 and 8 and after equivalent of 4 years of ski school they didn't fancy going with the school and having to do lessons. The cost of the trip for 1 child was the same as I could take the whole family for (I was very good at getting cheap skiing even in half term).

There are lots of trips so they went on language exchanges and historical trips - including son did a week working in a German bank. The school stopped doing ski trips as they were too expensive. They do 3 week "world challenge" trips - but again, my kids looked the price and decided not to bother.

Both kids planned to go on the Uni ski trips, but at University of Birmingham they sell out in minutes, and daughter didn't get a place, and at Aston son didn't get out of bed to try as he was already booked to go at New Year with us and it was "long" rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

I guess it helped that we holidayed several times with my daughers best friend and her family who have a son only 1 year younger than mine and the boys get on famously.
snow report
My year 9 daughter returned at the weekend from her first school ski trip, to Ski Amade in Austria.

She was very apprehensive in the lead up to the trip, she'd never ski'd before. Ski school every day from 9-2, then an hours practice time afterwards.

First 2 days she was a bit frustrated, but made a breakthrough on day three, and was cruising the blue slopes in her group by the end of the week.

Downsides were the coach trip (delays both ways at Dover/Calais due to weather), both directions took nearly 24 hours.

Overall had a great time, and as a result my wife and I have a beginners lesson booked next friday at MK, with a view to booking a family trip for Easter 2021.
ski holidays
And don't forget that it is bl**dy hard work for the teachers! When I used to take school ski trips it was possible to organise them outside of the winter half term. Then that was stopped by DoE. So to take kids skiing a teacher has to loose the half term which is pretty essential for most teachers in getting ready for the exam season, catching up with admin, developing teaching materials dentistry, medical appointments, essential activities that can only be undertaken during the working day, and many more things.

I don't know how teachers manage anything as exhausting as keeping control of 50 plus kids in such a hyper inducing activity as skiing nowadays. I wouldn't be a teacher in today's schools.
snow report
When did the Department for Education stop in term trips???
latest report
NickYoung wrote:

Probably the same time they starting fineing parents for taking kids out of school to give them a better education session than the school could ever give.
ski holidays
Rob_Quads wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

Probably the same time they starting fineing parents for taking kids out of school to give them a better education session than the school could ever give.

Think it was after, as I am sure I saw some mention of term time school trips being complained about in the “taking kids out of school” thread which was on snowheads when the rules first changed
latest report
There's no rule against term time school trips, but heads do open themselves up to complaints.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy