Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any plans for the summer and next season?

Poster: A snowHead
I know that the season isn't quite over yet, but it is for me. Sad Despite my best efforts, there isn't any room in my schedule for another weeks skiing. Crying or Very sad

So to cheer myself up Very Happy I'm thinking about my plans for the summer, and next season. So far I'm planning on chartering a yacht to go up the Croatian coast for a week, and then the usual week in Ibiza for the closing parties. So far the only thing that I've got planned for next season is a trip to Whistler.

Have any other snowHead s made their plans yet?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to Ireland in June, with my brother, for the next instalment of our circumnavigation by bike. In Counties Sligo, Donegal and possibly Londonderry this time. For the rest of the summer, we're hosting various American friends and relatives (having billeted ourselves on them last summer). Already booked for Megève for Feb 2006, and doubtless will squeeze in another couple of trips next season - probably New Year and Easter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Next year I plan to take the children skiing for the 1st time, A solo trip to Canada probably Banff again and I already planning a trip to Chile in 2007.

Kramer, Love the idea of chartering a yacht but I would need to charter a full crew as well having never sailed before. Going sailing on a proper yacht is on my list of things to do before I become senile.

No plans for the summer other than fitting a new central heating system, kitchen and bathroom
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, Make sure you post before you arrive. You will have a snowHeads welcome here (Although I won't have any snow on my head) If you need a place to stay for a night or two - Falcarragh Co Donegal, or Omagh, Co Tyrone, or even somewhere to do your laundry! Smile snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russell, you don't need a full crew, just a skipper. The rest you do yourself. Chartering a yacht and skipper in Croatia is quite reasonable (much cheaper than a full on week in Ibiza!) especially if you get a reasonable sized group of people.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, do you have any contacts or info you could post I would like to research this a bit. I always thought you would needs bottomless buckets of cash.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bernard Condon, thanks for that: it would be great to meet up. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, Like you the sun has set on my ski season, but plans are afoot for a stupendous 2005/2006 season. Detailed plans are being made in the mind as we type. With a cunning, Baldrick-like plan, accommodation has been rented with some friends, for the whole season, in Bourg St. Maurice, home of PG and gateway to the Tarentaise, etc, etc. The cumulative brain of snowHeads will have to be interrogated though, as I have only detailed knowledge of Espace Killy. The other delights await.....

To quote the venerable Saikee;

"BSM is perfect for Paradiski. For Tignes (18 miles from Bourg) a daily drive of 25 to 30 minutes is needed. However, BSM is closer to La Rosiere/la Thuile, 3 Vallees and Valmorel. You can cover all the Tarentaise resorts' 1600 km within a radius of 30 miles from there. The further most resort is Val Thoren at 34 miles from Bourg but it can be skied from a nearer resort at St Martin De Belleville".

Formidable!!!

Initially, I must obtain piste maps for all these areas and then ponder over them like C. Columbus, etc. Then the hard work of trolling through the archives of snowHeads who have gone before and then......savour the anticipation!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Russell, a friend is organising it. He seems to think that it will come in around £500 a head between six of us for a week. I'll try and get some firmer details off him. Obviously it's not going to be a big yacht, but it should be good fun, and the Croatian coast is meant to be fantastic.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

but plans are afoot for a stupendous 2005/2006 season. Detailed plans are being made in the mind as we type. With a cunning, Baldrick-like plan

Bernard Condon, A quick tip. If it doesn't work because it's not cunning enough, I suggest pencils in the nose and underware on the head to get through customs Smile

Quote:

PG and gateway

I'm sure he's feeling the same way wink

Russell, & Kramer, I have been offered the chance to 'crew' as well over the summer. Never done it before,but it's mostly a hydraulic boat and will be going from Denia in Spain up to see the Valencia trials for the Americas cup and back again. It's all about sensibility on the boat and a great party at every stop. Very much looking forward to it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got the EOSB at PGs to come, Corfu in August, probably two trips next winter - one week reserved at PGs.

Russell, enjoy B&Q !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hilton Head for golf in May, not sure about the summer.

Winter: Engelberg is a must, then maybe Annivers. Then might drive around Switzerland looking for day tours or the like.
Probably not France or Italy, the resorts tend to be a bit samey
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SteveG, Can one get on board an aircraft with said pencils in place? Or will they be considered dangerous weapons? Don't answer that! I know that if my nose was thus attired, I would be Sectioned under The Mental Health Act, shortly after check-in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some Xscape Castleford practice sessions with some 'beginning skier' friends is all that's left for Deb & myself Crying or Very sad

Have a week in Rojales, Spain in September staying with my Mum who's been out there since 1991.

And then it's winter again Very Happy Already booked for Christmas in Kitzbuhl and have just registered for the 4 day Epicski Academy in Snowbird for end Jan/early Feb and will then stay on for another week.

Writing this I'm thinking of the great time we had in Saas Fee last July - damn it's tempting!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:

Writing this I'm thinking of the great time we had in Saas Fee last July - damn it's tempting!
spyderjon,

I am thinking of doing the Warren Smith course in July,can you let me know what it was like(course and craic).Thanks.
ski holidays
A week in Ireland with the family in June , havent seen the Irish side of the family for ages so that should be fun (!?)

Couple of trips to Javea, Spain to stay with my grandparents, couple of trips down to Murcia to see my Dad his bird and my sister

Been invited to a house party in France, but doubt i'll have time/money left as ive promised to go to Ibiza for the closing parties with friends and id rather go back there.

Next season? I think i'll go out and work there, France or Andorra snowHead snowHead
latest report
Quote:

my Dad his bird and my sister

Budgerigar, parrot, sparrow, or vulture?
latest report
Knee Deep, it was great, on both counts.

The Park Hotel were everyone stays is v.good & the food from Patrick the owner/chef is excellent.

The skiing on the glacier is of course limited however there's still enough variety to work on all the elements of your technique. The Skier-X course & the fun park more than makes up for the lack of kms. I found that it took me a day to get used to the 3600m altitude and at that height you'll need factor 50 sun cream.

Warren's course is very good (I did a second one in Verbier in December so you could say that I'm a fan) and Jamie & Phil, his other instructors are also really good. The course has approx 14/16 pupils with the three instructors. It's very much a kind of skiing 'clinic' with a lot of emphasis on specific training drills to develop technique, often done in groups of two/three pupils all giving feedback to each other. The instructors tend to work their way around the groups giving individual attention.

As it's summer the skiing is from about 8.30am to 1.30pm each day, with the conditions changing throughout the morning as it warms up so that's also good for your technique. You'll need a backpack to take up some lunch (from the breakfast table) & a fleece etc. The conditions can be very changeable so you could be skiing in a fleece and then need your jacket an hour later. Everyone leaves their bags at the bottom of one of the runs adjacent to the lift (they're 100% safe) and you have a short lunch break at about 11.30. You also need a good supply of water as Warren works you pretty hard and the weather can be very warm. A 'camel pack' is a pretty good idea.

In the afternoon there's loads to do in and around the village: golf, tennis, basketball, mountain biking, walking, swimming/sauna, luge run (which is pretty scary when done blind folded!), crazy golf, shopping and of course the best activity, just drinking and chilling out! It's quieter in the village at night in the summer than in the winter but there's a couple of good bars that stay open late - Deb and a few others didn't get in until 4am one morning!

I think that you should go for it, you'll have a great time. Let me know if you want any info re likely costs etc.
snow report
Russell, You could try these sites. I have been with all three of them in the past and can recomend them all. Setsail was set up after the war in Yugoslavia by ex yugotours sailing staff, so if you are going to croatia they should have plenty of local knowledge.Setsail,Sunsail,Sailing holidays
snow conditions
Thanks Spyderjon,sounds like just the ticket.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Have you any web links to the Saas Fee courses?
snow report
Funny, isn't it? how many (aparently) keen skiers head for sand and sun in the summer. It's warm in the Alps in summer - come here!!!!! Lots to do all the time - but that doesn't preclude sunbathing or just chilling of course. If you've never tried it - go on - summer ski-ing's great. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, I'll see you at the closing parties then! I'll be the middle aged loon dancing badly on a podium whilst reading the Guardian. wink
snow conditions
Kramer, easy to spot then! Ive just booked ours up today! should be a laugh!
latest report
Which dates are you going for?
snow conditions
We've not yet decided between either the 10th to the 17th or the 17th to the 24th.
ski holidays
easiski, two words - topless ladies. wink
ski holidays
Were going 14th -21st, flying from Gatwick, we managed to get an amazing deal including a hire car for £250 each which is pretty ace! My brothers stayed at the apartments before so i know theyre ok - loud but thats what we like!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, are you staying in San An then?

£250 each with car hire is a great deal! Make sure you take some time out to go to some of the harder to reach beaches on the Island. Salines is very glamourous but watch out for the naked Germans. Benhiras is quite nice to go to to watch the sunset in a chilled fashion. If you're feeling very energetic, Atlantis is always quite fun to try to find.
snow conditions
San An bay Kramer, need to be near the beach- you get a better tan! A hire car was my demand- we hired one for a couple of days in Zante last year and it was so good to get away from the hustle during the day!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, don't be too disappointed when you see the beach at San An bay. It probably is a good job that you've got a hire car then.

We probably will end up being out at a similar time to you, but will be on the other side of the island, either Ibiza Town, or in a villa in the hills if there is enough of us. Probably not much danger of us bumping into each other, you'll be relieved to hear!
snow report
Kramer, its ok I'll get my beach fix when im over at my grandmas in Javea, San An cant be as bad a Laganas beach - they went on and on about the turtles using it etc etc but then used it as a car park at night and drove the transfer coaches along it!! The car will come in handy as we like to explore, by explore i mean drive to a beach and lay on it all day reading and then drive back so not really "discovering" the Island

We're cheesing it up in the tacky bit - we want full english and The Sun sold in every shop! Ibiza town is a bit cosmo for what we want, I bet they sell the Guardian there though NehNeh
snow conditions
Cheer up its only 8 months to the start of next season, Already i have plans for Tignes at Christmas and possibly Valmorel at the end of Jan 2006.

Summer brings at weekend flyer in Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland in the form of the 6 Peaks Challange. Several trips to Glen Coe are already Finalised along with another long weekend in the lake District before the final finarly of a two week break at our friends house in Tenerife in Sept / Oct. ( I will be the one sun bathing by the pool with all the winter ski magazines and books ).

And would you believe it after that it will only be 10 weeks before the skis are waxed and ready to go.

Oh by the way plenty of practice at Xscape Castleford when time permits.

Have a great Summer every one.
snow conditions
Kramer, We get the odd streaker - but they're usually male and not worth a second glance!! What about bottomless men though???? Why don't we see any of them? Sad
ski holidays
Nothing yet planned, apart from Xmas and New Year in our new apartment in Serre Che (providing it's finished).
ski holidays
Quote:

Funny, isn't it? how many (aparently) keen skiers head for sand and sun in the summer

I saw quite a bit of sun and sand this March in Serre Chevalier! Crying or Very sad
But plans for this summer? Tour de France, Bastille day in Briancon, may be on the agenda. Sailing in the Skiathos area too.
ski holidays
Well end of a another saeson Sad

But had a good one this time round with a definite feeling of moving off a plateau, had a some decent instruction for a few days early this season which paid of in big way on the later trips so I'm up for something similar again next season the only difference is I'm going to plan the season better not just let it all happen .Probably a weeks off piste/backcountry course in December or early January with a week touring in March or April, in between pack in as many long weekends as the bank account can stand.

As for this summer I'll be doing a Russell, remodelling the kitchen but autumn is looking good for a visit to family in Zimbabwe/Mozambique.

Anyone summer skiing in Chile, post a report, bit out of my league but would love to hear about it
latest report
easiski, the cold is not flattering to the male of the species.

Nadenoodlee, San An bay is just a small strip of sand that they dump at the beginning of the season. A sunbed = 1 euro A parasol = 1 euro Breathing = 1 euro Sun tan lotion = 1 euro!

Go for the full English challenge - A full english for every meal whilst you're out there. For a bit of a change go and find the Kumharas bar, and lie and chill in their hammocks. It's an oasis of calm in a mad resort.

If you manage to find your way to the VIP sections at Pacha and El Divinio then I'll see you there!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 3-04-05 16:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Would like to do another mountain bike transalp. Oberstdorf-Riva (Lago di Garda). But I will have to lose about five kilos first. I don't think I'd make it up the first hill right now! Or I suppose I could go out and buy a bike that weighs five kilos less that the curent one? A bike like that shouldn't cost more than about 10000 Euros. Worth every penny!
Anyone else into this peculiar form of masochism?
snow report
Mike Lawrie, I do a bit of MTB but here it's pretty flat for the most part. However biking on the desert tracks or even virgin crust is at least twice as much work as riding on tarmac so it's good exercise. And if you hit patches of soft sand, it's really difficult to keep going and upright. The sand seems to take over the steering - grabs the front wheel and throws you all over the place. Still as long as you hang onto the bars it's a nice soft landing when you do come off. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy