Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non political, practical advice for skiers on Brexit.

Poster: A snowHead
I started a thread this morning about how the UK insurance industry has encouraged potential travellers to apply for a green card one month before travelling in case of a no deal Brexit. This will affect Easter ski drivers...

There areany other potential issues with regard to skiing or.workobg in the ski industry in Europe based on the various Brexit scenarios.

Unfortunately the other thread has already got a political - free speech is great. But I thought it might be useful to have a thread where, we don't have to sift through various opinions and can just offer information we find and practical info on how Brexit may affect our skiing and boarding in Europe.

Current thoughts are : Driving, taking pets, insurance and European Health Cards. I'm sure there are many more, not least flying...

No.doubt the loser trolly types will throw in some political stuff to cloud the thread but with many qoing skiing at Easter and most of us regular European snowsports enthusiasts, Snowhead is probably the best place to collect some meaningful advice.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would suggest it is sensible to get an International Driving Permit done now, it is a very simple thing to do at a big Post Office.

If, if(!), we do have a no-deal and they become mandatory there will be a huge rush and it could be a real hassle to get one.

If it is wasted because we have a Deal...well so what really...

N.B. As Frosty pointed out in that other (ranty) thread there actually is no need for a Green Card, your insurance policy stands as proof until it expires at least.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cameronphillips2000, good idea! As a moderator, I'll keep an eye on this for you Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000,

The problem is that nobody knows what will happen. We can all hypothesis to our hearts content, but our polititians don't know, the EU doesn't know and certainly Snowheads don't know how it will all effect us.
Which is why your last thread was doomed and this one will probably go the same way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are planning to drive in both France and Spain after a no deal then you will require both a 1968 IDP and a 1949 IDP in order have you licence accepted. From Feb 1 2019 these are ONLY available over the counter from Post Offices.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rungsp, I dont think this is actually needed as EU countries already recognise licenses from other non-eu countries (eg US) if staying less than 90 days, and also my UK license is recognised all over the world today without the need for an international license. The international license serves as a translation tool and is a relic of the past.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-01-19 10:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The pet passport advice keeps changing. The advice issued on 19th December 2018 was withdrawn on 11 January 2019 - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Latest advice can be found here - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

It is still confusing though as in the new document it says:
- if there’s no deal, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU -
but this is contradicted later by this - There will be no change to the current requirements for pets entering the UK from the EU after 29 March.

Seems with no deal we will need to get and Official Veterinarian (OV), no more than 10 days before travel to get a health certificate and we might need to present all documentation as we arrive and then get another set of documentation before we try to get back into the UK.

This is why we will not be travelling with our dog at Easter or in the summer and will wait till Christmas in the hope that it is all clearer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, good idea! As a moderator, I'll keep an eye on this for you Very Happy

Thanks Ken. I guess we are having to second guess outcomes. There are so many knowledgable peoe.on this forum and it would be good to share what they know.on this subject
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't worry at all about vacationing in Europe, including driving on a UK license. It's not as if only EU residents can do it now.

Though I might leave the dog at home.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I personally do worry that the tunnel (and likely other channel crossing) will get totally gummed up for a couple of weeks after March 31. Although I suspect A 50 will get extended.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:
@rungsp, I dont think this is actually needed as EU countries already recognise licenses from other non-eu countries (eg US) if staying less than 90 days, and also my UK license is recognised all over the world today without the need for an international license. The international license serves as a translation tool and is a relic of the past.

That is not strictly true. In the event of an accident many overseas insurance companies will insist on seeing a valid IDP including the USA and you may find car hire an issue without one in some countries. In addition if you don't have a photo licence then the IDP or a valid picturing containing ID card will be required to support your UK Licence. There is a full list of countries and notes on the AA site here http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, Not Europe, but perhaps instructive of driving in a "foreign" country.

I was in New Zealand recently, and the car hire website had told me to get one of those check codes from DVLA, it takes 10 seconds on the website.

So, I got one and turned up at the hire place in Queenstown - they just had a look at my UK licence, noted the details in the computer and that was it.

I genuinely dont see it changing much after 1 April in Europe, if there is zero grief 13000 miles away.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't see any difference in going over or under the channel to Europe. Ok, so my experience is purely traveling from England to France but there have always been passport checks and checks on animals on leaving the UK and entering the EU zone. These will continue as before. True, it got a bit more strict after the brexit vote, but really, not by much. We never subscribed to the free travel philosophy between EU countries like the rest of the euro zone.
Driving license? I can't see any changes here, it's valid now and will be in the future. I can drive in good old US of A on my license & they are a lot more paranoid than the EU.
Insurance. I hold a UK insurance policy, if that says I can drive in the EU then I can, I may have to carry a translation of some type though.
Health insurance...this is the biggie and is quite worrying for an awful lot of folk. But again I feel this cannot change too much. Why? There are masses of EU folks living over here and masses of UK folk living over there. All the UK pensioners living abroad can't afford to suddenly start paying for a separate health policy.
Pets. Am I being stupid here? The checks on my cats going abroad have always been to ensure that they can come back with the least amount of hassle. Taking pets abroad is not the problem, it's been bringing them back that's the hassle. It's the UK that sets the entry requirements, not the EU here, so I can't see any changes at all on this one.

Or maybe I'm an ostrich with my head in the sand (or up my bum!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gixxerniknik,

I think the risk is tailbacks of trucks due to increased inspections - I agree that it won't make that much difference to passenger car controls except that the roads will be screwed.
Of course the planning for this may be so brilliant that I don't need to worry.
Hmmm....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The big one for me would be the travel insurance. It is already difficult enough to get travel insurance that will cover anything at all (especially if you don't wear a helmet when skiing!) without paying a fortune. Some policies at present state you need to carry your EHIC with you which I assume will be invalid if we "hard brexit". I wonder if annual European policies will be made invalid by the insurance company? I can only assume they have some sort of small print to keep your money but not stick to their side of the bargain!
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, British expats in the EU already need to pay for health insurance same as any other EU residents. We are not entitled to a UK EHIC card.
latest report
@gixxerniknik, under the current scheme pets do not get checked as they leave the UK. You have your documentation in place as it is the return to the UK that has been the check in the past. So the new advice is another layer...if it is to be believed.
snow conditions
PaddyM wrote:
The big one for me would be the travel insurance. It is already difficult enough to get travel insurance that will cover anything at all (especially if you don't wear a helmet when skiing!) without paying a fortune. Some policies at present state you need to carry your EHIC with you which I assume will be invalid if we "hard brexit". I wonder if annual European policies will be made invalid by the insurance company? I can only assume they have some sort of small print to keep your money but not stick to their side of the bargain!

European travel insurance covers you for countries that are not in the EU.
Its all down to the wording as every insurance company is different. A lot of policies include Israel for European cover for example.
As for the EHIC part - then that is to limit the expense they have to pay out. Even UK Health Cover/Insurance has an NHS option to lower your premiums as it reduces the risk of costs to the insurance company.
As travel insurance is annual, I would assume anything leaving the EU would already be written into the policy. If not, then they cant change your T&Cs without informing you or giving you the right to cancel.
So worth checking your policy - especially if using the same company year on year & assuming nothing has changed.
snow conditions
FWIW, current advice is get an IDP:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit
ski holidays
Amunah wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Oh, and after 31st Jan, they’ll be charging £5.50 for them!!!
latest report
PaddyM wrote:
The big one for me would be the travel insurance. Some policies at present state you need to carry your EHIC with you which I assume will be invalid if we "hard brexit". I wonder if annual European policies will be made invalid by the insurance company? I can only assume they have some sort of small print to keep your money but not stick to their side of the bargain!

Whilst the insurance companies may save some money via EHIC cards, there are many times when there is no EHIC card accepted in a European resport, as many clinics and doctors are 'private'. Insurance companies still pay up if you use one of these, if they are your only available or closest option. (State hospitals may be different, although also there are still some charges which some people have to pay in some countries, which the insurance still refunds.)
I don't think that existing policies will be changed by any hard exit, if it negates the EHIC mechanism (again, an 'if'). However, I do think that travel insurance costs would undoubtably increase if EHIC or a replacement mechanism no longer existed.

My concerns at present would be more about delays, extra passport and immigration checks, maybe international air flight issues and land/sea travel delays. All are supposedly agreeable as not to cause problems, but... Puzzled

Sadly, as I write, it's all unknowns. You either don't plan to go to Europe until we know more (and indeed if it is 29/3 or a later date or at all) or you book and plan and ensure that you are able to respond flexibly to whatever transpires.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
@gixxerniknik,

I think the risk is tailbacks of trucks due to increased inspections - I agree that it won't make that much difference to passenger car controls except that the roads will be screwed.
Of course the planning for this may be so brilliant that I don't need to worry.
Hmmm....
Inspections won't necessarily increase, it will be the actual process of clearing the each and every consignments through Customs that will cause the issues e.g. Customs delay from consignment clearance going from Poland into Belarus/Ukraine (the route for UK-Russia) can often be measured in days, not hours. Some trucks will have multiple consignments on board - Truck drivers will get so desperate, stuck in some huge random wasteland without any nearby services, that they will blockade the ports. Same will happen in France, but much sooner.

Nobody cares a toss about truck drivers; nobody wants truck, nobody likes truck, driver welfare provisions in this country are 3rd world.....and yet everyone needs trucks. It will be horrendous.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, Thanks for persevering with the thread. if at first you don't succeed etc.

I'm vaguely thinking of heading off on the 30th March, but a package instead of DIY. If I book through a reputable travel agent, does the TO take all the risk on the chin, or am I being complacent?
snow report
@Penry, I would imagine that any extra costs as a result of whatever happens will be passed on to you.
ski holidays
Amunah wrote:
Amunah wrote:

Oh, and after 31st Jan, they’ll be charging £5.50 for them!!!

The AA and RAC won't issue them for travel after 31st Jan and the Post Office are charging for them already https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit
ski holidays
Quote:

Really? I've just renewed our annual European family policy. 4 of us in which we have some disclosed medical conditions. Full winter sports cover including touring/mountaineering up to 4000m with a guide came in at £80.
Doesn't seem expensive to me
snow report
@queenie pretty please,
I didn't know that...I thought the EHIC covered you for the same level as here. Both of us have certainly been treated in France and had to pay nothing due to having an EHIC, although I had to pay for most of the treatment I had in Germany in the mid 90's.

@Frosty the Snowman,
Do the freight consignments not have to be cleared now then?

@Cheesie168,
My cats always got checked leaving the UK to ensure that they had the correct passports and vaccines to enable them to re enter. Granted, the French authorities didn't check on entering France though.
snow conditions
I cross travelled to Europe 12 times in the last three months with my business. Sometimes with car, sometimes with the van.
I.dont think there will be too much difference with the car other than possible road issues but I'm a re the lorries will be stacked up.
Ferries and the tunnel have different check in, customs and security for freight and this is where things may clog up. To be fair though every van and lorry gets a pretty good going over by border control at the moment so if customs paperwork can somehow be done at the same time, or online then delays may not be too bad.
I'm still.waiting to decide whether or.bot to run my business after March as we tried to trade in Switzerland last year and the admin and VAT upfront was to much. The Swiss border does have freight customs checks and paperwork and it does take time and money if course.

The best advice I can offer to anyone travelling is hedge your bets on currerencies. The pound will tank on no deal and will rise on a soft Brexit/possible customs union. The markets are slightly leaning towards a deal or staying in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gixxerniknik wrote:

@Frosty the Snowman,
Do the freight consignments not have to be cleared now then?

If destined for an EU country then no customs clearance takes place. One has to carry certain documents and paperwork that can be inspected by Police or Border Force if you are stopped on the road or at a random check.
snow report
@gixxerniknik, it does if you are on holiday in the EU at present. But if you live in the EU you are treated the same as any other resident.
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
@queenie pretty please,
I didn't know that...I thought the EHIC covered you for the same level as here. Both of us have certainly been treated in France and had to pay nothing due to having an EHIC

I'm surprised as the EHIC covers you to the same extent as the local "state" healthcare provision. In France I never have any treatment where I don't hand over my credit card or cash, some of which I can claim back against my private health insurance.

You don't have to be in the EU to be a part of the EHIC scheme. Is there any evidence that EHIC will end on the 29th March or that suddenly no-one from the UK will be able to drive in France legally or is it all scare mongering?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-01-19 14:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@jedster, that is a very reasonable price - would you mind sharing the insurers name?
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:
Driving license? I can't see any changes here, it's valid now and will be in the future. I can drive in good old US of A on my license & they are a lot more paranoid than the EU.

We have negotiated various trade deals with countries like New Zealand and the USA. If we literally leave with No Deal then we won't have any such agreements, so the comparison isn't really valid. We also wouldn't have any rules governing things like flying between the UK and EU (or even flying within the UK on an EU-registered airline).

I can't believe that when people say "No Deal" that's really what they mean. They mean a minimal deal, that will cover things like aviation and driving across the border. The question then becomes what is covered by that minimal deal? And is it covered on 30th March, or will it be frantically thrown together at the last minute and only come into force in early April? If there is a gap, will the official regulations be enforced during that period, or will people turn a blind eye until the politicians have worked out what they are doing?

If we do leave with No Deal, then 5 years from now we may have a similar relationship to the one we currently have with the USA, but we can't assume that will be the case on 30th March.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Really? I've just renewed our annual European family policy. 4 of us in which we have some disclosed medical conditions. Full winter sports cover including touring/mountaineering up to 4000m with a guide came in at £80.
Doesn't seem expensive to me

As a matter of interest does it include off piste skiing without a guide?
I pay about twice that at the moment and haven't found anything much cheaper but probably haven't looked carefully enough.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:
@queenie pretty please,
I didn't know that...I thought the EHIC covered you for the same level as here. Both of us have certainly been treated in France and had to pay nothing due to having an EHIC

I'm surprised as the EHIC covers you to the same extent as the local "state" healthcare provision. In France I never have any treatment where I don't hand over my credit card or cash, some of which I can claim back against my private health insurance.

You don't have to be in the EU to be a part of the EHIC scheme. Is there any evidence that EHIC will end on the 29th March or that suddenly no-one from the UK will be able to drive in France legally or is it all scare mongering?

Me too, as we have experience of using French healthcare. We paid a fee at the GP surgery, used EHIC at 1st hospital (billed later for part of it, 20% of cost of MRI possibly? ), used EHIC at 2nd hospital (emergency operation at CHU Grenoble, so treatment free of charge but paid a daily fee for hospital).

Cost of that without EHIC would have been in 10s of thousands, so I can't see how insurance premiums will stay the same.
latest report
Where's the snow?

Book flight.

Arrive at destination airport.

Smile.

Say I'm really looking forward to visiting your country and skiing resort X

Welcome to 'Insert Country Here'

As it has always been.
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, that is a very reasonable price - would you mind sharing the insurers name?

Quote:

As a matter of interest does it include off piste skiing without a guide?

I used JustTravel who are a broker. Been with them for three years and have been happy so far (no claims though!).

T Bar - it covers off piste skiing without a guide provided you are not on glaciers. I think the risk category was "hazardous sports category B"
I actually ended up spending more (£120) to get cover for category C because I am doing some (guided) mountaineering this summer which will take me above 4000m (which is the altitude limit for cat B). They found a different insurer who would go up to 6000m but it put the cost up. I might have been better to insure my week of mountaineering separately but couldn't be bothered to find out.
snow report
Quote:

It is already difficult enough to get travel insurance that will cover anything at all (especially if you don't wear a helmet when skiing!) without paying a fortune.

Has anyone else heard of a restriction on wearing a helmet while skiing. I certainly haven't
latest report
@johnE, only for children. When I made a claim with Lloyds last year they asked if MrHL was wearing a helmet (head injury) but the policy doesn't say he has to
snow report
@jedster,
Cheers I will look at them when I renew.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy