Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for ski partner

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I'm a fairly advanced skier, grew up in Calgary so spent a lot of time skiing in Banff and the Rockies. Moved to UK this September for university. Looking for my first experience of European skiing this winter. Am fairly flexible with dates, and have no idea about resorts here! Ideally would like to go somewhere with plenty of skiing (nowhere too small), and with possibility of some off-piste. Interested in doing a day or two with a guide but fairly flexible, have all my backcountry gear with me. Send me a private message if you are interested and we can make some plans
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Link to last year's, this year's isn't up yet:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3329865
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Canadianskigirl, have a look at snowEvents. The Birthday Bash would fit.snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The coming dates are:

Quote:
Winter
Sat 7th - 14th Dec 2019 :: PSB2019
Pre Season Bash 2019, Tignes le Lac Buttons!

Sat 25th Jan - 1st Feb 2020 :: PreBBWUW8
8th Pre Birthday Bash Warm Up Week, Alleghe, the Dolomites Buttons!
Lovely, friendly little resort in the Italian Dolomites at a very friendly price - with reasonable access to the mighty Sela Ronda. As if that wasn't enough, it's even better value when doing the double with the Birthday Bash.

Sat 1st - 8th Feb 2020 :: S16BB
snowHeads 16th Birthday Bash, Arabba, Italian Dolomites Buttons!
Celebrate snowHeads becoming al,pst nearly grown-up in Arabba, right on the legendary Sela Ronda circuit, connecting so many stunning destinations, a week simply isn't enough to do it justice.

Sat 29th Feb - 7th Mar 2020 :: GnarliBuG
Gnarly But Gnice, Gressoney, Monterosa
NOTE: Link is to last year's event for info :: Buttons nearer the time.
while there's epic off piste available, there's no need to be skiing off piste to enjoy this week. For all the epic Gnarliness The Monterosa area offers access to, there's just as much Gniceness too. Great food, Italian hospitality, beautiful scenery. To get the most from this week you should be happy with red runs rather than 'suffering' them but, that guidance in mind, it's open to all.

Sat 7th - 14th Mar 2020 :: SOPiB2020
Spring Off Piste Bash 2020, Serre Chevalier/La Grave Buttons!
To come on this, you need to be happy with anything a black run throws at you. However you don't need previous off-piste experience as we will have a number of groups covering the whole spectrum of off piste skiing, from nurturing noobies off the edge of the piste to (potentially) hanging around on ropes on the way into couloirs.

Sat 11th - 18th Apr 2020 :: SFaB2020
Spring Families Bash, Val Thorens
I've been offered a deal on the H'ashmir again. Basically the same as last year although no 6 bed aparts yet; 4bed only but some 6's may come later. Lift pass is more pricey though so that's pushing the overall cost up a little this year.

Sat 18th - 25th Apr 2020 :: EoSB2020
End of Season Bash, Val Thorens

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks I will look into them. I tend to prefer small groups though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Groups on bashes are ad hoc and as small or large as you want them. EOSB probably fits well with Uni vac. Otherwise your uni ski club probably has a trip at Xmas but no one can vouch for the colossal amount of drinking your fellow students will do and whether they'll be fit to ski.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes that's why I'm not considering the uni ski trip. I like a few drinks but I want to maximize ski time, not just drink.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Canadianskigirl wrote:
Yes that's why I'm not considering the uni ski trip. I like a few drinks but I want to maximize ski time, not just drink.

Smart thinking, and as has been said if you go on a snowheads bash there are often small groups of just 3 or 4 people going off for the day to a particular location or for a particular skiing experience - gentle and mellow or fast and gnarly! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Canadianskigirl, I can recommend UCPA: their UK agent is Action Outdoors (no affilitation) although you can book direct, which is sometimes cheaper / more choice.

They offer discounts for under 25s (here) and / or off piste (here) amongst others

In my experience, very social and welcoming, even if you're travelling alone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CanadianSkiGirl If you're at a collegiate University then as well as your college ski society, there may be a university-wide one as well. For example, in London that would be ULU (University of London Union) at Senate House. There may also be inter-collegiate groups. I recall at London there were some Imperial-Chelsea joint societies as the two were geographically near and joining-up boosted membership. Sometimes college clubs will accept members from other colleges or associated educational institutions not in the University itself and vice-versa (e.g. a separate teacher training institute happy to take members from the University).

I'd recommend finding out your vacation dates etc. and if these are close to, or in school holidays, consider booking some flights to/from Geneva now. This may seem a bit of a risk, but your vacation dates won't change so you might as well commit to some cheap flights and at worst, you'll end up not using them. Off-peak London-Geneva returns at unsociable times might be £100, perhaps nearer £150 for more sociable flight times once you've paid taxes and gone for advance seat selection. easyJet and BA are the main carriers to Geneva (GVA) from Heathrow (LHR) and Gatwick (LGW). Stanstead is also an option if you're in central London, but it's further out. Swiss fly form London City and Heathrow, but they're rarely cheap. If your university isn't London then obviously, you'll need to take a look at a more local airport.

You can get to the Alps by train from central London, but in my experience, the cost is usually much higher than a 'plane, unless you are adept and can catch the initial release of discounted fares, which are quickly snapped-up by the rail cognoscenti.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LaForet, she specifically said she wanted to avoid the binge drinking uni trips.

I second a Bash as a good option, most the time I'll ski in a group of 3-6 people and even when you find yourself in a big group it never takes long to splinter into smaller groups as people decide to ski at a different pace or have a break etc. Easier to find someone who skis similarly to you.

Not done UCPA/Action Outdoors but everyone I know who has been always have positive things to say.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m not sure why group size, or for that matter, whether the rest if the group likes to drink matter at all.

Once at the resort, everyone is free to do what they like and ski as much or as little as they like.

There’re bound to be other in the group who actually skis!

Seems to me, nailing down dates and destination are the only thing that matters.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@abc, because part of the fun of skiing with someone is that you actually ski with them rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I understand that you can ski in smaller groups, I don't have an issue with that. Its more in the evening times I've had issues before in big groups. Plus I get a bit tired of making the same small talk and having to do introductions all the time. I'm not saying this would definitely be the case on the bashes, but in my previous experiences smaller groups have always worked out better for me.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, that's only true if you already know those "someone" you're skiing with.
snow report
Truth being, while the bashes are great fun (it was for me), the average "bashers" are quite a bit older than 25. I'm not sure how that translate to the evening time.

And if I'm not mistaken, the average snowheads on here are also quite a bit over 25. Some are working on their memory on what they like when they were 25...
ski holidays
UCPA all the way.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@LaForet, she specifically said she wanted to avoid the binge drinking uni trips. .

I think my post is still relevant. First, because a student ski trip isn't necessarily going to be a drug-induced, alcohol-filled orgy. When I was a student I certainly hoped my trips would turn out that way Very Happy but I was generally disappointed Confused . Any younger group you join equally might or might not be a party-animal fest. I thought the point about Uni-wide groups or inter-college groups might be something @CanadianSkiGirl hadn't considered. Second, any group is likely to include postgrads, who have 'been there, done that' in terms of undergraduate excess, so again, more interested in skiing than binging (bingeing? perhaps binging is something not discussed in public? I'm a bit out of touch with current student patois).
latest report
Stop dithering.

Book and go.

Verbier, Chamonix, St Anton, Engelberg, Gressoney, and La Grave are where you need to head.

Uni trip for young and drunk.

SH Bash for old and bold.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
Don't discount Scotland as a ski resort. One year the predictions of the worst winter for 30 years will be correct. When there is lots of snow here for a long time in cold weather, all of the resorts can have spectacular skiing (provided the lifts don't keep breaking down). For an advanced skier you would probably appreciate Glencoe and Nevis Range the most in a weekend, or a few weekdays of good weather and snow.

Depending on your university location, you might find that minibus ski trips to Scotland are organised.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

SH Bash for old and bold.

Enjoy.

Old and bold! That's quite a strong endorsement coming from Whitegold Very Happy
ski holidays
Join our lovely group for 11th Jan, we only drink a bit Very Happy Puzzled and tend to hit first lift and get the last lift down. Pm me if interested
snow report
As said above UCPA is the obvious choice. I’d pick Chamonix or Val D’Isere/Tignes as your first European ski experience.
latest report
@Bigtipper, I would discount Scotland. Weather and snow unpredictable. Not a patch on the dolomites or Alps. I love Glencoe and I'm about to get my season pass but for someone coming from Canada, Scotland is going to be poor.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, not at all. She is staying in the UK, albeit possibly choosing an inferior English university or college over the high quality Scottish universities some of which are fairly close to ski resorts for day trips. If I were her, I would consider transferring university if she was too far from Scotland.

Dundee, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Edinburgh probably mostly go to Glenshee with their ski club minibus trips but they will also go for the West coast when the snow is better and for a change. Glasgow and Stirling university will predominately ski in Glencoe.

The benefit of being an advanced skier is you can take up opportunities when the snow falls

http://wintersun.me.uk/scottish-ski-touring/

The nearest (to Glasgow) according to the above map of ski touring opportunities when the snow level is low enough for long enough, would be Campsie fells. Sometimes there are great opportunities.

March 2018 Ben Ledi

December 2017 Ben Ledi

snow report
@Canadianskigirl, which uni are you at?

I went on a uni trip in 2010 (didn't realise it was so long ago!) and it was good. We went to Val Thorens, and although we had about c.100 people, we ended up splitting in to small groups. Some people stayed up drinking all night, others didn't. There'll be something for you within the uni group.
snow report
I'm at Birmingham. My brother was at st Andrews's the last 3 years but back in Canada now. He went skiing a few times in Scotland during his time there, but was not impressed so I had not planned on going.

"Weather and snow unpredictable. Not a patch on the dolomites or Alps. I love Glencoe and I'm about to get my season pass but for someone coming from Canada, Scotland is going to be poor."

That sums up my brother's experience.
latest report
Very accurate
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
* Scotland = weekend
* Alps = week

Nevis and Glencoe have some good steeps.

Hucking off the back of Nevis in spring is A+.

Book Fri.
Slide Sat.

Norway, Iceland, Sicily, Corsica, and Cyprus also good for a weekender.
snow report
I would probably get a cheap flight from Birmingham International if I lived next door to it, and not go to Scotland. Geneva would be top on the list. From there it would be straight on a bus, lots of choice, depending on how big your purse is.

UCPA would be my choice as a student, especially for an advanced skier wanting cheap guided off piste activity in Europe. Its all inclusive packages beats almost everything in the market, but you need to share rooms etc.

I would also consider HI hostels in some Swiss resorts, and DIY.

However, book well in advance for both UCPA and HI hostels. (i.e. now or before now)

I do not remember having much in the way of spare cash as a student for ski holidays, even the cheap deals done by Universities. Nor did I have a lot of time for it (I could not ski then). I think I was a member of the parachute club, and did one static line jump over a weekend. I also was a member of BUNAC, and spent a summer in USA working to fund my lifestyle by the beach in California.

Laughing
latest report
I've done a couple of trips in Europe at hotels, and just skied with people I've met in the hotel, on lifts (surprising how many people are open to this), or just skied on my own for a bit. Its actually quite relaxing, you feel very free, no pressure or comitments, just ski what you want.
Or try with one of the companies which does'nt penalise for single accomodation.

Fire and ice certain chalet dates for sigle occupancy http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/

Singlesport offer specifically single ski holidays https://www.singlesport.com/

look out for peak period price hikes across Europe weeks 2/3/4 in feb are ridiculously over prived, and some ski areas can get just too busy, so best avoided if you can.
ski holidays
I have read the BUNAC website, and it appears that it does working ski holidays for students. I am not sure when you would do this when you are supposed to be at university studying, however it is offered which includes a working visa in Canada. (looks like you do it as a gap year at some point)

https://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/working-holiday-packages/work-canada
snow report
Canadianskigirl, coming from Canada it's maybe not just terrain you might consider ......

Things such as lift queue etiquette might come as a bit of surprise ....... so somewhere like an expansive but quieter Italian area rather than a French 'ski factory' might be a better choice.
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
Canadianskigirl, coming from Canada it's maybe not just terrain you might consider ......

Things such as lift queue etiquette might come as a bit of surprise ....... so somewhere like an expansive but quieter Italian area rather than a French 'ski factory' might be a better choice.

Agreed - though from BHX its easy to fly to Geneva / Grenoble, I prefer Italian skiing nowadays - cheaper, better views, shorter queues for chairlift, better coffee and food, less drunk people on slopes. Just booked a trip to Italian side of South Tyrol, flying BHX to Verona then sub-3 hour drive to somewhere close to Stelvio pass - almost guaranteed snow in December as its above 3000m. Flights only cost me £40 return.
snow conditions
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/winter/find-your-holiday/holiday-types/students/student-deals?utm_source=Action+Outdoors+List&utm_campaign=49b4980696-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_10_10_07_54&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0d13214ebb-49b4980696-25303369

Just had an email from UCPA asking me to post a link to student rates this season!
snow conditions
Yipster ...... must be a 'local' thing, lol ........ I normally go out of BHX, or MAN as there's usually a better choice, the former only half hour away, the latter a full hour, so it's no biggie for either.

I've little fascination in the 'must go to France' thinking some seem to have ...... but equally it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing ......
ski holidays
@Canadianskigirl, Hi there...are you still looking for a ski buddy? I'm very flexible with the dates...please let me know.
ski holidays
Canadianskigirl wrote:
Hi. I'm a fairly advanced skier, grew up in Calgary so spent a lot of time skiing in Banff and the Rockies. Moved to UK this September for university. Looking for my first experience of European skiing this winter. Am fairly flexible with dates, and have no idea about resorts here! Ideally would like to go somewhere with plenty of skiing (nowhere too small), and with possibility of some off-piste. Interested in doing a day or two with a guide but fairly flexible, have all my backcountry gear with me. Send me a private message if you are interested and we can make some plans

Hi,
Not sure if you have sorted your ski holidays already.
I leave in Newark UK and will drive to Alpe D'Huez on the 29th of February for a week. It is all paid, Eurotunnel, accommodation for 4, and I have also a week's ski pass to give away. Not sure if interested. I will also get this in a separate topic.
Aris
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy