Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
sj1608 wrote:
Just a reminder that TODAY is the last day to buy a season pass at the 50% off rate of €489.

renewed ours for the 3d year in a row...

surely this must be the best deal anywhere in the Alps when you factor in the quality of the skiing, the visitor days in other resorts, the discounts with partners and the summer option vs the cost???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same here. Great deal for the kids as well at 289 euro. For a family of four, 1556 euro. Amazing value.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the season pass, 16 and 17 year olds are kids, whereas on the standard pass they are adults............
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine actually ARRIVED today, yay! Very Happy

I was surprised the pic wasn't actually on them, I assume it flashes up for the lifties when we swipe through? Our awaydays vouchers are self explanatory, but what's the Decathlon offer?

Edit: I can, apparently, have a whole body wax- who knew! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I keep caressing my first ever season pass - looking forward to using it this weekend (and trying to use power of positive thought against the “mixed” forecast)!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Zorrac, that's an interesting anomaly that's definitely worth knowing about!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski3 wrote:
ssspeedy wrote:
Freestyle wrote:
@ssspeedy, if you dm me your babysitting dates, times and requirements, I can ask on the Samoens Fb group for you?

Thank you, we'll be arriving the 26th January and would like to find cover for at least a few mornings, Monday 28th - Wednesday 30th. Going to call the Samoens tourist office today as there is a creche opening this year. Any suggestions are welcome!

http://www.ot-morillon.co.uk/move/village-des-enfants-day-care-centre-167248/

As sj1608 suggested, we've used the above for our two children (now older) it's located right in the centre of nursery piste at Morillon 1100 so you can drop off and then ski straight from there with piste access back to collect too.

Some good places for lunch in that village to help you mix and match ski / family time, also with tobogganing next to it. You'll need a car to get there from Samöens for convenience but can, I believe also connect on ski bus via Morillon base station if needed.

This sounds like your best option for maximising ski time and swapping over and having a few extra cheeky runs down Sairon!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Opening day today and..........it’s raining. Also all links closed and Chariande express closed as well due to wind at the top.

Went up in any case as wanted to pick my season pass up and whilst there may as well have a look. Skied around 1600 for a bit then gave up in the end. Snow v wet and claggy.

Will try again tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We gave up on Samoens and headed up from Morillon instead.

Sairon chair only Open initially then eventually links to Les Carroz opened before lunch.

Various precipitation throughout the day: rain, frozen rain and snow.

Funnily enough very quiet on the slopes but we had a good fun first day!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Day two of our four day season opener here in Flaine.

More fun had today without the rain and sleet of yesterday. The sun came out and the wind dropped - enough that we were able to toddle of towards Les Carroz before heading back, tails between legs because we somehow didn't buy domain passes today. D'oh!

Snow firm but grippy up top, spring like further down. All in all pretty good. Fingers crossed for more of the same tomorrow; the grand massif app is forecasting similar lift/piste opening, the weather forecast would suggest the wind might put the mockers on that. We'll see.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I has a good day today. After seeing Chariande express closed in Samoens car park I headed over to morillon.

Was good fun. Snow was as Ukulele Dave says. Very patchy last pitch down on Sairon though.

Went up to tete Des saix once from Carroz. All the snow has been blown off and the first pitch down was wind scoured boiler plate.

Stayed around Gron and les moilliets lifts after that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Windy in the GM today with links from the Villages to Flaine closed all day.

Probably the quietest day I’ve ever seen on the slopes in 20 years of skiing in various resorts.

We had excellent fun lapping Tete des Saix initially then Moillets and Gron once TDS closed late morning.

Snow cover generally good with just a few bare bits towards lower end of Morillon home run.

On the way home now but looking forward to being back en famille on Boxing Day....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HWS wrote:
... Le White pub may have closed down for good, does anyone know if this is the case?

Their facebook page has event listings for this season, in case anyone was still sweating...

https://www.facebook.com/flainelewhite/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's very much open. Under new management though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
UkuleleDave wrote:
It's very much open. Under new management though.

I wonder if that Aussie guy will still be behind the bar... he's been there all the time I've been going to Flaine
snow report
Good fun today, with the kids for the first time this season. Chariande express finally open but it’s not great up there. Thin hard snow cover. Fairly grim.

Shifted over to Carroz and Morillon and snow much nicer , soft and springy.

Sairon really suffering now though and not sure how much longer they will be able to keep it open. Lots of muddy patches from piste marker 12 down and the last pitch down to the lift is pretty bad.

Looks like snow coming from Friday? It badly needs it.

Still was a great morning and absolutely empty. Quite often we were the only people on the piste.

Anyone any reports from Flaine?
ski holidays
Yep... Snow holding up really well this side. Pretty quiet too.
snow report
Great what’s the snow quality like higher up? Is it boiler plate or good?
ski holidays
This morning it was rock hard, softened a little by close of play though - perfectly skiable, though my friend who's legs had given up by 2pm might not agree with that.
latest report
Not weather related so apologies if it's wrong thread. Arriving on January 18th, has anyone idea where I could look for one or two private ski lessons for an hour two each time? Any idea of costs etc would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance
latest report
ZigZags - Louise Vallier
snow report
@tman80, which resort are you staying in?
snow report
Thanks stefoy4me.
@sj1608, flaine forum
ski holidays
In that case I'd recommend Lynne Stainbrook. He (not she!) is an American who has taught in Flaine for many years and focuses on technique.
snow report
@sj1608, Thank you
latest report
@tman80 Lynne Stainebrook is good but VERY focussed on technique - just be aware - see his website http://www.flaineskiclinic.com/ for his approach - it doesn't suit everybody but he does get excellent results
latest report
mikeycharlton wrote:
polo wrote:
Flaine this morning, outside a friends apt....I'll be based there over the next few weeks to do some work / snowboarding

unnamed

is that around the back of the Eos?

I enjoyed a nice barbequed marshmallow on those benches a couple of years ago.

Yes. My apartment has top balcony on left.
snow report
whole area closed today due to wind.......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any more snow? Or all blown away?
I'm specifically interested in the piste down to Morillon 1100 as that's where we're staying at New Year.
snow report
Skied les carroz today, it was a bit damp after midday! after 2 .30pm it was sodden!

Timalets and lower combe closed, everywhere its a bit brown in places and very wet snow. so downloaded down gondola at the end.

Plein soleil chair not running, assume not enough snow down to it, just the drag going.

Down to les molliets was ok, pitch before bridge is a bit narrow.

Skiing down to gron is fine, with less duff patches, but just before lift is very brown, and only combe and zorta open.

Could not get to morillon as closed or anywhere else for that matter as Tete des saix closed

Snow will be even more battered now as it hammered down with rain after we got back. Sad Sad
ski holidays
Rained all morning in the valley but as predicted sun came out at around midday. Went up to Samoens and had an excellent day. Blue skies and fresh snow. Still a little hard under the fresh on some pistes but generally excellent.

Snow line looked to be to about 1300 / 1400 metres and we just lapped from tete de saix in samoens all afternoon.

Fantastic. Nice to ski cold snow for a change.

Lots more rain / snow on the way. So just all depends where the snowline is.

Pitch down to Sairon is more or less green / brown. Not sure if it opened at all today - app was showing it closed this morning. Hopefully all the precipitation to come will be snow there.
snow report
@Ghanny, Morillon seems to be closed, we skied from the top of molliets chair, but everything was then shut around top of the sairon chair, so we had to go down the link back to les carroz.
latest report
Arriving today in Morillon (Les Esserts), looks like the pistes there are in no state...

Have a car though so not the end of the worl, but it's my first season in the Grand Massif, just wondering if there's any hot tips on the best place to park/start from.

Current plan is to try the car park at Samoëns les Saix first.
latest report
thomas_ wrote:
Arriving today in Morillon (Les Esserts), looks like the pistes there are in no state...
Have a car though so not the end of the worl, but it's my first season in the Grand Massif, just wondering if there's any hot tips on the best place to park/start from.
Current plan is to try the car park at Samoëns les Saix first.

Watching this with interest as we arrive in Les Esserts next week. Obviously I hope you get some snow in Morillon (and it's still there when we arrive) but very interested in contingency. We will have one car between 7 of us so I prefer not to have to drive anywhere (two trips each way).
ski holidays
@Higs, there is a regular bus from Morillon village to the Grand Massif Express lift out of Samoens
snow conditions
Bit tired, so short report

Lots of snow, but not really to low levels, ie. only a very tiny bit in the village, very windy high up, morillon still closed. Enjoyed the slightly heavy powder. There seems to be a brief lull at the moment, 3.00pm. Hopefully the freezing level will drop a bit.
ski holidays
@Zorrac, agreed keeping my fingers well and truly crossed for a drop in FL before we arrive on 26/12 as kids always happier to see some snow in the village!
latest report
Morillon 1100 open today by the looks. Snow level must have been pretty low last night - sleeting in the valley this morning.
ski holidays
Went out first lift this morning, and was really worth it, loads of rather pleasant powder, so just played around gron, some of the time visibility was a bit duff, eventually the legs got tired and the bounce went, so came home. Les Carroz now looks rather white, with snow down to the bottom of the moving carpet. Still have to download down the gondola.

hopefully the forecast rain tomorrow will be snow..................perhaps
snow report
Went out this afternoon to Samoens. Light and visibility was crap but snow was lovely. Fairly tough conditions off the top of tete des saix but nicer further down. Loads and loads of snow up there.

Did a couple of runs then switched to Chariande 2 which, whilst slower, missed the carnage off the top.

Legs are tired now, let’s see what tomorrow brings. Forecast sunny for Xmas morning which should be v good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy