Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
polo wrote:
Flaine this morning, outside a friends apt....I'll be based there over the next few weeks to do some work / snowboarding

unnamed

is that around the back of the Eos?

I enjoyed a nice barbequed marshmallow on those benches a couple of years ago.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got very excited when I saw the above photo from @polo, and then found this link:

https://www.lemessager.fr/1485/article/2019-11-08/les-carroz-d-araches-des-travaux-dantesques-pour-elargir-la-piste-perce-neige

That should make a huge difference, as it can be quite a tricky one for beginners. Calling @Zorrac, do you know if they have also widened and taken some of the camber off the top as it comes off the Tete? I can't see in the pictures for sure and think it is maybe wishful thinking!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mikeycharlton, it's the lower of the Pierre et Vacances buildings, although still an impressive 1750m alt.

First time being in one of those complexes, nice to have use of bar, restaurant, swimming pool, sauna, gym, underground parking and so on. Only the parking is open in November, but fully ski in / ski out to the door

Here's the view from the office today

IMG-8046
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@polo, yeah that's the Eos.

Nice place.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied GM many times over the years but always early or peak season. I know every year differs and generally it’s hard to say what any given time is like for snow but can those who are in the know give me an idea of average snow conditions to be expected end of March first week of April please. We would look to base ourselves at Samoens or Les Carroz. Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Usually at that time of year, pistes are quiet and conditions still quite good. Albeit, pistes start the day hard and soften at different times of the day, often each slope has a great 1 - 2 hour window when snow is just right. Looking at my photos taken around that time in each of the last 3 years :-
2017 - conditions below 1400m very poor and broken as very little snow fell after mid February.
2018 & 2019 - runs still wide and open down to Les Carroz 1200, with a few fresh falls from mid March to mid April. We always stay until mid April and have had many great late season days.
As I am sure you are aware, the Samoens slopes are north-facing and so hold their snow well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Let's revive this thread from the lower leagues of Page 2 Very Happy

Had an eventful drive up on tuesday night, with thick fog between Les Carroz and Flaine, when a fully grown deer jumped out in front of me....missed it by a foot thanks to my new Nokian winter tyres snowHead and brake pads.

Took a few trips around the tree lined pistes. Amazing how tracked out the place is (compared to my local anyway), seems really popular for french ski tourers, car park was full outside Le Bissac.
Loads of snow-moving and all day piste bashing on the run under the Veran lift so didn't get to try that one. Other runs are in good nick, with plenty of snow at 2000m. But at the base around 1700m it's mostly been compacted down to about 10cm.

IMG-8119
IMG-8099
Screenshot-2019-11-22-at-09-03-29
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo, car park outside Le Bissac? It’s in the middle of the piste!

Anyway, thanks for the shots. Snow is looking nice. It’s whetting the appetite for my next visit in a couple of months.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ingemar_Skidmark, just below Le Bissac is used as a car park this time of year....only enough for 10-15 cars, most people were skiing all the way to their cars, but I walked from Le Bissac with the new board still scratch free
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo, Thanks for the reports -- looks like a good start to the Season Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just under 3 weeks to lift opening I hope - plan to start my season by skiing on opening day in the GM
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo,
❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️Things are looking good! ❄️ ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could be fresh 50cm+ by the weekend, am up there again midweek...might get a slide in on thursday if there's any viz / break
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, pls keep the pics coming for those of us stuck in a dreary UK!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never made it up the hill, viz was non existant today and had to finish a job.....but conditions are really good, lot's of piste work going on every day. Snowed pretty much all day wednesday and thursday, with plenty more to come. Was surprised at how green and clear (blue skies) it was on the drive down thru les Carroz. Snowline 1500m and falling.

Here's a few pics from today where I was staying, but I probably won't be back until the lifts open.

IMG-8142

IMG-8141
snow report
Webcams looking good for Samoens 1600 and above this morning. Still green at Morillon 1100 though. I'm put on the 13th till new years eve. Hoping this snow is enough base and the forecast sun doesn't do too much damage. And of course another big dump on the 12th or something.
snow report
40% off lift pass deal on buyclub.ch might be useful for anyone planning a weekend in GM - max 2 per user

ski holidays
Thanks for the heads up on the lift passes, just bought my 2 for the February trip.
snow conditions
Does the BuyClub deal exclude anyone not a Swiss resident?
ski holidays
It didn't ask me when I went through it all.
snow report
Is BuyClub reliable? I will have a season pass anyway, so do not need but might work well for my ladies ski trip in January. But don't want to recommend it if it is not reliable. Anyone used it before? thanks/
snow report
stuartknight1 wrote:
It didn't ask me when I went through it all.

Yes, I have registered and nothing there says you have to be CH resident. And it reads like you get sent a code via email which is to be used when loading your GM card online - so again, nothing I would have thought that can stop you if you are not CH resident.
snow report
I have used these last two years. You get emailed a code so no requirement to be resident in Switzerland. You need to have a ski pass and can only load one code into a card at a time so a bit of admin required to add another code at night before skiing again but it’s very easy to do and worth it!
snow conditions
Had an email today confirming my season passes have been despatched! Very Happy Permission to become obsessive please?
snow conditions
Granted. Vouchers arrived in post last week, a few days after season pass purchase, they were a free wax at Decathlon and three free days at local resorts.
snow report
 ssspeedy
ssspeedy

Last edited by ssspeedy on Mon 23-11-20 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ssspeedy, We had a ten day trip there for Christmas and new year a few years back. We decided to have one day out from skiing and drove over to Annecy where we often spend summer holidays. Doesn’t take long to get there and it’s such a beautiful place even in winter for a walk out, nice lunch and drive around the lake. They might enjoy that.
Morillon can be walked around in ten minutes so it’s not necessarily a day out for non skiers. Pretty sure they still have an evening market in winter too which is nice.
Samoens has more to see and is a beautiful authentic town with lovely deli’s and restaurants.
And of course Geneva is only 45 mins or so away which is worth a visit.
ski holidays
Was up in Flaine this morning, beautiful conditions to open the lifts. Slopes didn't seem that busy.There must have been some ski touring club outing at Les Carroz 1500, as there were about 20 people sklnning up there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polo, sounds good!

Can’t wait for first lift out of Samoens next Saturday morning Very Happy
snow report
@Roger C, you seen the forecast though? Snowing heavily until Friday....then it all goes horribly wrong. Les Gets opens same day, kids excitement may have to be put on hold....still a little time for something colder to develop, but odds against at the moment
latest report
 ssspeedy
ssspeedy

Last edited by ssspeedy on Mon 23-11-20 20:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Could be interesting driving in on Friday evening from Geneva.
snow conditions
@ssspeedy, if you dm me your babysitting dates, times and requirements, I can ask on the Samoens Fb group for you?
latest report
 ssspeedy
ssspeedy

Last edited by ssspeedy on Mon 23-11-20 20:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@ssspeedy, if you will have a car it might be worth investigating the options at Morillon, which is just down the road and has a nursery.
snow report
@ssspeedy, I expect you’re aware, but if you are going to use a nursery, you’ll need to produce your ‘red book’ or vaccination record.
ski holidays
ssspeedy wrote:
Freestyle wrote:
@ssspeedy, if you dm me your babysitting dates, times and requirements, I can ask on the Samoens Fb group for you?

Thank you, we'll be arriving the 26th January and would like to find cover for at least a few mornings, Monday 28th - Wednesday 30th. Going to call the Samoens tourist office today as there is a creche opening this year. Any suggestions are welcome!

http://www.ot-morillon.co.uk/move/village-des-enfants-day-care-centre-167248/

As sj1608 suggested, we've used the above for our two children (now older) it's located right in the centre of nursery piste at Morillon 1100 so you can drop off and then ski straight from there with piste access back to collect too.

Some good places for lunch in that village to help you mix and match ski / family time, also with tobogganing next to it. You'll need a car to get there from Samöens for convenience but can, I believe also connect on ski bus via Morillon base station if needed.
ski holidays
 ssspeedy
ssspeedy

Last edited by ssspeedy on Mon 23-11-20 20:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Another pass discount:

Buy your 6 days Grand Massif pass 60 days in advance and get it at the 5 days Grand Massif pass price:

https://www.skipass-grand-massif.com/en/nos-tarifs?_ga=2.187106797.436451908.1575971736-1263346466.1573573737
ski holidays
Just a reminder that TODAY is the last day to buy a season pass at the 50% off rate of €489.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy