Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Zorrac wrote:
@Halowa, Links are often closed in the morning if wind is forecast, as they don't want people stuck in other resorts and can't get back, so they have to put on buses.

If it is a warm foehn wind, then you often get very violent sudden gusts, and an otherwise seemingly ok day.

Cham meteo has gale force winds forecast at altitude for today.

This has really bugged me this year.

I'm a Flaine owner, so have visited two or three weeks a year for the last decade.

So far this year, the time lost to lift closures seems well beyond anything I can recall.

Venturing into personal prejudice, rather than anything objective, it seems to me that this year there has been a much more timid attitude to lift opening. What really gets on my goat is when things settle down at around 1.30 p.m., say, and the stance seems to be that it's not worth opening the lifts for rest of day.

Not sure if just coincidence, but I notice in Flaine this year many of the liftie 'regulars' from the past few years have not appeared.

It feels like 20% of ski time has been lost so far. Anyone know what the rules are on pass refunds?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We headed up @1230 today after the girls has done some ice skating....just in time for the drizzle to start!

Still at least that meant the slopes were much quieter than yesterday. Very damp and warm so pistes getting very cut up.

Marvel on way down to Morillon was a cross between, slushy puddle/river and piste! By the time we got in the gondola @430 we were like the proverbial drowned rats, thank God for Gore Tex
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C wrote:
We headed up @1230 today after the girls has done some ice skating....just in time for the drizzle to start!

Still at least that meant the slopes were much quieter than yesterday. Very damp and warm so pistes getting very cut up.

Marvel on way down to Morillon was a cross between, slushy puddle/river and piste! By the time we got in the gondola @430 we were like the proverbial drowned rats, thank God for Gore Tex

Sounds a bit worrying, we arrive this Saturday for a week! What are the runs like down into Les Carroz?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not very good in short! @niveus,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@niveus, we didn’t ski right down to LC today but the home run was just about OK yesterday.

Snow forecast to village level on Wednesday so you should be ok for sat.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Decent bit of snow from about 1400m up last night was still snowing at Samoëns 1600 at 9.30 today. I’d say about 6 maybe 8 cm fresh on cars parked at 1600. We’ve just done tetes down to molliets and then down to La cupesse at carroz. Pistes are so so much better but hard packed and icy in places. It’ll do for today and next couple I guess if it stays cold. Temp around 2°c now
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To add to the comments above there is some nice soft snow to play in of the sides of pistes when high up.

Massive queues this am though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this post is not relevant anymore

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 21-02-20 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ghanny, sorry to hear about the rib. I really wish they would do some work on that top pitch. All Samoens and Morillon folks as well as a good % of Les Carroz skiers have to use it and it gets busy and lumpy, which makes it all worse. Maybe a trip to the spa in LC to sooth the ribs?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Cheesie168, yeah I really don’t like that pitch. It gets so busy. You have loads of beginners on it as it’s a ‘blue’ and if it’s at all bumpy or hard pack which it often is, they are all picking there way down it v slowly.

That’s all ok but then you have idiots thinking they can scream down there at full tilt. It’s dangerous and I really don’t like taking my kids on it. So I don’t really mind missing half term madness.

We home tomorrow in any case. Took the kids sledging at Col de Joux plane yesterday and at sixt today enjoying the sun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Roger C, absolutely some lovely fluffy stuff off the sides, second the queues, very very busy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ghanny, nice glad you’ve had some enjoyment at least. That top pitch is pot luck when busy. I worry about Mrs J and the kids on that even though they are competent
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Light snow started right the way down at valley level about two hours ago. It’s now snowing heavily and forecast locally is this will continue all morning. Everywhere in the village will look beautiful which is great and the snow is hugely welcome for the slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still snowing heavily in Samoens village @ 10.30am, great big fat flakes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great news hopefully it stays cold for awhile.
snow conditions
Has snowed at various rates all day and temps stayed around freezing all the way down to village level. Anything above 1100m got a really good top up of decent snow. Pistes up top will be excellent for next couple of days and there was some decent off piste today in shin and knee deep fresh
snow conditions
A great day, although visibility this afternoon was rather poor!
snow conditions
A small fall of snow overnight in Samoens. All helps!
ski holidays
I am going to be coming out to the Grand Massif on 7 March for a week. Just interested to know if it is still possible to ski all the way down to Sixt. Looks like there might be more snow on the way!

Thanks
latest report
Cascades run from top of Flaine down to Sixt is closed at the moment but very likely to open again if there’s a significant dump down to valley floor and it stays cold enough to protect the snow....
ski holidays
Hi guys does anyone know if you can wear ski boots on the luge in Le Carroz? We want to do it one day this year just wondering do we need to bring alternative footwear?
snow conditions
Yes you can. We did in late Jan, on our last day after dumping the skis.
ski holidays
Great and do you think we’d have time to do it and get back over to Tete de saix before the lifts close. Staying in Vercland. I think it doesn’t start til 3pm right?
snow report
Should comfortably be able to. We never saw a queue for the luge in the week we were there. Dunno about the opening times.
ski holidays
Opening time on website says 3pm but I am sure when we were there a couple of weeks ago it was opening at 1.30pm but it could have been because skiing was limited and they wanted to offer more things to do during the day. Hopefully someone will check at Kedeuse for you tomorrow and let you know.
snow conditions
Charliegolf wrote:
Should comfortably be able to. We never saw a queue for the luge in the week we were there. Dunno about the opening times.
Thanks
ski holidays
skier52 wrote:
Opening time on website says 3pm but I am sure when we were there a couple of weeks ago it was opening at 1.30pm but it could have been because skiing was limited and they wanted to offer more things to do during the day. Hopefully someone will check at Kedeuse for you tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks. It would be great if someone could.
latest report
@snowmam, last time we were there , 2 weeks ago, there was a sign at the bottom of the figaro tapis (moving carpet thing) that said luge 3.00pm to 7.30pm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you that’s what the website says. Anybody there at the moment. Has the forecast snow come?
snow conditions
Snowing all day in Flaine and most of last night too. Today it has varied from v light to v heavy flurries at low level. Sustained moderate to heavy with near 0 visibility above middle lifts. Diamant Noir was open very briefly early afternoon but I wasn't brave enough to head right to the top given the wind and visibility.

Most of the higher lifts closed and the Grands Vans shut all day too so very quiet compared to the last few days.

It was looking pretty bare off piste at town level up until today so very welcome.
snow report
Posting as thread is about to slip off the first page. Webcams look encouraging although 1100 not holding snowfall. Too warm I guess. Hopefully upper slopes hold it better. Let it snow snow snow until Friday then it can just snow at night for the week.
latest report
Powder today in Flaine after overnight snowfall. Started snowing again at 4pm.
snow report
More powder today but only high up. Off-piste heavy lower down.
ski holidays
Saw 80cm reported for top of Flaine. Break out the snorkels?
snow conditions
Can’t see the webcam in the top but it looks 50cm plus all the way down to flaine and some below inc Sixt.

Looks like some people are in for a good few days. Lucky gits......
snow conditions
Fly NEXT Tuesday. Wife telling me to calm my beard...
ski holidays
Arrive on Friday looks like it’s gonna be a great week. As long as it doesn’t forget to stop!! Better get packing.
latest report
Heading to Samoens on Saturday. Meteo Ski keeps saying forecast is rain every day next week Sad . Please tell me not so.
snow report
Just finished 4.5 days in Les Carroz. Great time - arrive Friday morning and got on the slopes by 1:30. Snow in great shape after a recent fall and could ski all the way down Esserts no prob. We are piste skiers with kids (well teens) so not yet looking for off piste.
Saturday also good all through resort but links to Flaine closed due to wind. Snow bit soft even early on below 1500m. Sunday Flaine open and headed there but came back this side by lunchtime as getting windy and we were worried about links closing. Snow great. in the late afternoon started to snow and then rain low down - yuck , last run home not pleasant rained all night low down but snow higher up. Monday headed out and over to Flaine, v v windy but snow good. Lindars and link to Fred run (one of favs from last year ) was never open due to wind. Cam home at 12:30 as started to snow heavily and visibility poor but snow great for the few hours we were out. Snowed all Monday afternoon and night and woke to a winter wonderland this morning. Great days skiing and if you are into powder and off piste most have been one of the best days skiing - also sunny! just fab . Did not go to Flaine as links closed until 12:00 as avalanche blasting but TBH we had great skiing over in Les Carroz, Samoens and Morillon. SomebBusy SLopes very chopped up and lumpy at times but lovely soft snow - if I was a better skier would not have tired me out so much! Teens loved dropping of piste a bit onto soft snow. Fab day - on the mountain 9:00am-5:00pm but did stop for coffee and then a late lunch. Cold all day so anyone coming out in the next few days should have no worries about snow cover even bewo 1500! Enjoy.
snow conditions
All sounds good!

Sadly not back out until 20/3, pls leave some snow for me.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy