Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the feedback. Will check Gomassif and Action Transfers out.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
all very nice and fluffy was today, if a bit busy at times, however les carroz seemed quieter than anywhere else, so we did laps of plein soleil timalets and then go up gondola for most of lunch time. There did seem to be race courses everywhere, which cut down the options a bit. Off piste was not very deep, but good fun what we did of it, bit rough underneath however.

Overall new snow has made everything look very nice for the moment

Action transfers picked us up on time and was all smooth.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Zorrac, Thanks for the reports -- good to hear...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got back on Saturday, from a good week away. Yes, we'd have liked more snow, but I was impressed with the condition of the pistes. We had bright sunshine for 5 days, so can't really complain. It snowed a fair amount on Friday, as people have already said, so hopefully that will have helped.

Back out again in a couple of weeks, so hoping there's a good dump before then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back yesterday after a good few days . Friday was a fab day. I was really impressed with how well the snow had held up, the Les Carroz team must have been really hard at work over the last few weeks as it was a lot better than late Dec. We were able to lap Moilliets, Raccord Gron, Coombe, upper part of Sairon, Marmotte, Plein Soliel, Cupoire very happily until the snow really started and we headed down. Opted for Flaine on Saturday - which everyone else seemed to do as well. I think @Zorrac, had the right idea to stay in Les Carroz, as it was mobbed getting over there. Never seen such queues in mid-Jan. While the weather was fab, it was hard going as they hadn't pisted and some of the moguls ended up nearly as big as me! The less experienced skier (of our group of 4) was all for throwing the towel in and getting a cab back to LC, but I convinced her to ski back. Opted for Grenat rather than Dolomie (as it looked like a battlefield) not a great idea as I came a cropper, worrying so much about the nervous skier I had in tow, I took my eye off the ball. A very nice chap on a snowboard returned my ski and the huge mogul I was on provided a nice ledge to click back in. Huge sigh of relief from whole party when we got off the top of the Molliets chair. Sunday started a bit crunchy but them came good and we flew up and down a very empty Plein Soliel etc before heading down for a very late lunch, as the north wind picked up and it was -9 at the top of Gron. Great work by the Les Carroz pisteurs to keep the slopes so well maintained after not much snow in the last few weeks. Used AlpinBus this time (friend did it via findtransfer.com), all worked well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi - heading to Les Carroz on 2nd Feb. Do you think mid week will still be quiet enough? A few comments recently about queues but I am hoping that is just the weekends. Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also back after a weekend there, piste quality varied hugely over the weekend and across the area - not only due to the weather. Despite the 10cm of snow on Friday, icy patches still visible towards Morillon and Les Carroz. Some runs into Flaine were just dangerous with the numbers of skiers skating over hard ice. Snow cannons were running on many runs from Saturday, on some runs resulting in hard ice balls ranging in size from gravel to golf balls. Not pleasant! Most amusing was Marvel down into Morillon on Monday morning, where the cannons had generated huge bumps of snow. Add to this clouds of artificial snow giving poor visibility, and the run was quite a challenge - turning corners and then not being sure which way the piste was!

Whilst the runs above Samoens were groomed beautifully, our impression of the piste management is that it seems to vary across the area and is a bit hit and miss. I don't recall other resorts being like this, but perhaps the sporadic snow this season is playing a part? The Chars run at the bottom was slushy on Saturday, but after the cannons had worked their "magic" it was a dangerous ice fest on Sunday and closed on Monday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also was over on the weekend. Only skied Saturday, which was fantastic. Stayed in Samoens and Morillon. Plenty of fresh snow, and great conditions as long as you dont go too low. Morillon still plenty of ice a t bottom of Sairon / Marvel. No slush for me on Chars although I dont really like that piste v much. Really excellent day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CosmoJo, Its the weekend that is busy, Geneva arrives en mass. Outside the school hols, you will find Monday a shock after the weekend, it is very empty, I always find Wednesday the quietest, we often have runs to ourselves especially lunchtime. In the week you just ski up to most lifts and get on, no queues.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CosmoJo, There can be a queue to get to Flaine via the Vernant chair, but mostly just at peak times. It has been fine that week in general for the past couple of seasons in that respect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went into the Gers bowl yesterday afternoon and this morning. Although completely tracked out the snow was in lovely condition and although the traverse across from Zeolite was a bit bumpy it was well worth the long drag lift out. Some of the pistes get a bit bumpy in the afternoon but considering how little snow there has been since Christmas I think the pistes are holding up very well. Lower down in Carroz and Morillon the artificial snow can make icy balls of snow overnight but this is better than pistes with bare patches, IMO.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grand Massif on Instagram have just posted that Les Cascades will be open tomorrow (25/1). Convenient as we're moving from Morillon to Sixt for a chill week!

Been here two weeks now and the snow is still in decent nick on the pistes, some fluffy stuff still to be found off the sides especially in Flaine. It's melting off pretty quickly though so we could really do with the bit that's forecast next week snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Damn....just back from a week in Sixt was hoping the Cascades would open while we were there! Snow is holding up well, a bit iffy if you head right down to Les Carroz or Morillon but great condition generally, we've had a lovely week and hardly seen a bare patch or a pebble! The odd wiped off hard sections and it gets a bit lumpy on the linking pistes at the end of the day but still fab for those heading out soon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems like big dump on cards for Tuesday?!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just unpacked in Flaine. Nice drive down roads clear of snow and traffic. All ready for tomorrow, three bambis on ice...
snow conditions
There was some light snow around lunchtime today but more is forecast for Monday and Tuesday. The light is quite flat so taking the afternoon off. Pistes continue to be in very good condition. Did Cascades as soon as it opened yesterday (first time this season, I think) and both on piste and to the sides it was very good. Today they had not pisted the top section so it was a bit rutted but pisted lower down. The last 400 metres or so was, as usual, quite lumpy, being mainly artificial snow that has thawed and then frozen overnight, but excellent coverage with only very few barish patches. Marvel was a joy to ski and other lower runs have benefited from the snow cannons earlier last week.
ski holidays
Chris Mason wrote:
There was some light snow around lunchtime today but more is forecast for Monday and Tuesday. The light is quite flat so taking the afternoon off. Pistes continue to be in very good condition. Did Cascades as soon as it opened yesterday (first time this season, I think) and both on piste and to the sides it was very good. Today they had not pisted the top section so it was a bit rutted but pisted lower down. The last 400 metres or so was, as usual, quite lumpy, being mainly artificial snow that has thawed and then frozen overnight, but excellent coverage with only very few barish patches. Marvel was a joy to ski and other lower runs have benefited from the snow cannons earlier last week.

Thanks for the update on current conditions. Heading out in a week and nervous about the rain in the forecast. Any more updates this week appreciated Very Happy
latest report
CosmoJo wrote:
Chris Mason wrote:

Thanks for the update on current conditions. Heading out in a week and nervous about the rain in the forecast. Any more updates this week appreciated Very Happy

Ditto coming out on Friday for the weekend
snow report
Echoing comments above pistes across the GM are generally in good condition so should be great after the forthcoming top up!
snow report
Reading all the above had us pretty nervous before we arrived in Flaine yesterday but no need to worry at all.
1st day out today and found all the upper runs in Flaine bowl in great condition.
ski holidays
Quick question for GM long timers and those in the know:

Tuesday is currently forecast 50km wind. I have a memory that any wind speed above 30km will mean that Chariande Express, Coulouvrier and Tete de saix Express will be shut.

Can anyone confirm those numbers or give an alternate bracket?

Cheers
Cool
latest report
mrchips wrote:
Reading all the above had us pretty nervous before we arrived in Flaine yesterday but no need to worry at all.
1st day out today and found all the upper runs in Flaine bowl in great condition.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Snowing heavily, and nearly 60cm forecast for Tuesday. The issue will be how many lifts the wind closes.
snow report
@CosmoJo, @stevew, Pistes all in excellent condition. Even right down to Les Esserts and Timalets are better than I had expected. Lovely morning today, good spells of sunshine. Enjoyed it while it lasts as next day or two look challenging.

A bit of rain in Carroz this evening but snow line still to fall. Let’s see what tomorrow brings...
ski holidays
Freestyle wrote:
Quick question for GM long timers and those in the know:

Tuesday is currently forecast 50km wind. I have a memory that any wind speed above 30km will mean that Chariande Express, Coulouvrier and Tete de saix Express will be shut.

Can anyone confirm those numbers or give an alternate bracket?

Cheers
Cool

Yesterday the numbers were way below that (30s?), and they closed all those lifts with only bus links. Credit to them, before closure they were grabbing everyone at main lifts and telling to go to your home area asap.
snow report
@Garioch appreciate the update. Enjoy
snow report
Spent an hour waiting for GME to open at Samoens this morning. Now back at chalet and they’ve definitely closed the lift for the day after advising of 90km/h wind. Were told we could drive to Morillon but no busses running. Now total whiteout. Hopefully the next couple of days will make up for it
snow report
Pretty much all the Morillon lifts closed now, along with all the links. Had a couple of hours of lovely skiing, although windy and flat light. Then the wind got up even more, the snow turned hard enough to really sting as you skied along, and then the vis went, too. Now back home for the day......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As my weekend's getting closer and arriving on Friday afternoon trying to suss buses up to the Vercland gondola, I think the navette goes past my chalet at Le Petit Saix but the bus map shows it going up past Vercland to Samoens 1600 not Morillion as per the bus timetable, can any confused local help me. I'm stopping at Chalet Marie Stuart if that helps.
ski holidays
Fresh snow depth in flaine today. It has been snowing all day. Most lifts closed due to wind, forecast more for tomorrow..!

ski holidays
Been snowing hard in Carroz since about 10 am, prior to which it was a windy rainy night and early am. We decided to bus up to the telecabine without skis and gauge the activity, but got 20m up the road and thought, 'stuff this, there's people on the Timolets red, get the skis!' On the bus, up the gondola for an hour and half of fun. Almost the whole sector was shut, but the main blue was open for loops around the gondola; as well as the red back home, with reducing viz. No sign of easing up and it's 1630 ish local.

PS kudos to Carroz which stayed open way after Samoens and Morillon.
ski holidays
Great day of skiing in Flaine today. Snowed all day - at least a foot of fresh out there. There was only the Tete de Verde chair and a few of the drags open (stayed open til 5pm though) but still plenty to ski and the piste snow kept getting topped up, so never got tracked out.
snow conditions
Great to read the updates. Will the rain that’s in the forecast impact the snow much? I have never experienced rain in a snow resort before (usually higher up the mountain)
snow conditions
If the rain on Friday happens above 1800m it will destroy today's powder.
Fingers crossed.
snow report
BAN wrote:
If the rain on Friday happens above 1800m it will destroy today's powder.
Fingers crossed.

... or it will consolidate the pack (if the temps drop as forecast next week) for us HT skiers ... honestly, don’t worry about it. Piste skiing will still be good.
latest report
@stevew, I can’t be sure, but I am not aware of the buses going up to 1600. My understanding is that they operate between the resorts in the valley (Morillon and Samöens village level gondolas). Are you looking at the ‘white’ line? It would take a minimum of 20 minutes to get up to and down from 1600 from Vercland, so maybe the times stated on the timetable will give you a better indication than the map.
snow report
@rachelharrisonsmith, ok thanks, guess I'll find out on Friday Very Happy
ski holidays
In need of someone to drag me away from my weather/snow forecast feeds, which I seem to be updating every 5 minutes. Great that we've had a big dump this week, but a bit worried that the rain may spoil my 'friends weekend jolly' in LC and Grand Massif this weekend. Skiing with an umbrella might me get my lift pass extracted forcibly by the lift staff.
snow conditions

Morillon1100 this morning
snow report
stevew wrote:
As my weekend's getting closer and arriving on Friday afternoon trying to suss buses up to the Vercland gondola, I think the navette goes past my chalet at Le Petit Saix but the bus map shows it going up past Vercland to Samoens 1600 not Morillion as per the bus timetable, can any confused local help me. I'm stopping at Chalet Marie Stuart if that helps.

Steve this is the timetable as per the Grand Massif website. The bus definitely stops at Vercland from Samoens en route to Morillon and vice versa.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy