Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@final patsy, agree with @sj1608, you would be able to help them play and use the magic carpet at the top of Kedueze and then the drag but then they would need a leap of faith. Much better to get lessons as the ESF chaps know where the best snow will be and give learners confidence by breaking it all down into bitesize pieces. Also, get them to pack swimming costumes as there is a small spa attached the public pool in LC and it is really nice if they fancy something different. Are you driving or transfer? If driving you could all drive over to Flaine once they are feeling more confident and go up the DMC. If the snow does not arrive I may well need to do car hire for my ladies trip on 16th to do the same.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cannons going at 1200m last evening and night but not tonight, yet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skier52 wrote:
Cannons going at 1200m last evening and night but not tonight, yet.

Cheers for the info. Need a nice cold snap and the heavens to open.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cheesie168, don't forget the bus option up to Flaine as well, although you do have to book.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sj1608, good point. I always forget about the bus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cheesie168, hardly surprising. I sometimes think it's one of the best-kept secrets in the GM!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does the bus go from Les Carroz ? I can’t find any info on it on web page
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@final patsy, yes, but on the Les Carroz website it is only mentioned as a way to link with the train to/from Cluses, hence my view that it's a secret!

https://www.lescarroz.com/content/uploads/2019/12/Fh-Carroz-Flaine-Express20201.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We go out to Samoens on 19 Jan - lack of snow is concerning. Any tips of finding deeper firmer snow on linked lifts ie Flaine?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is the Mephisto Superiore piste open?, from the webcam it seems to be netted off Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I skied it Monday after skinning off the back. Narrow and quite icy. So skiable but wouldn't advise it until more snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BAN wrote:
I skied it Monday after skinning off the back. Narrow and quite icy. So skiable but wouldn't advise it until more snow.

Thanks mate, really hope the weather is going to change asap.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowed for most of yesterday in Les Carroz so looking forward to great weekend⛷
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
final patsy wrote:

Hurrah...!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
final patsy wrote:

Great news, please post ref snow conditions for us when you can, enjoy the freshies!
ski holidays
@final patsy, much deposited? not so much in Chamonix ...
latest report
@under a new name, 5cm at best, conditions are hard and a bit sugary, rocks sticking through in odd places, down to molliets is a bit of a yellow / brown mess. It was skiing, but could do with lots of new snow. Did Char and the bottom was slightly hard...like nails!

Basically low down it is very thin and stoney.
snow conditions
Just been out there for a week, second what has been said above. Flaine in general is better particular over towards Aup De Veran lift etc. Apart from one day visibility was cracking all week. The lower towns aren't pleasant at the bottom, Morillon in particular but it isn't game over. Cascades has been closed all week along with the rest of Sixt and people I spoke to didn't seem to think it would open anytime super soon. Samoens 1600 is very manageable. I wish anyone going soon some more snow Smile
snow report
Need more info on bus from Les Carroz to flaine - beginners so cant ski down marmottes its mush at the bottom - told by hotel the bus won’t take skis - are they right ? It was mentioned here that bus was an option - would love to go tomorrow for last day
snow report
@final patsy, ask at the les carroz tourist office as that is where you book the tickets
ski holidays
The pistes are holding up quite well although there are some bare patches lower down. Skied down Timalets this morning, have to watch out for the stones! Bergin down to Morrillon was OK but generally stayed up high. Hazy sunshine today and quite windy at the top of Grands Vans and Tete des Saix.There is snow forecast for Friday pm/evening so let's hope it actually arrives - I think it's been nearly 3 weeks since there was a decent dump of snow and the pistes are showing this.
ski holidays
We head out 1st of feb and I’m preying you get a lot of snow between now and then.

Some forecasts are saying heavy snow Friday into Saturday with 20cm of snow at around 2000m. Fingers crossed this happens
latest report
@Ian_86, fingers crossed, yes, but that's not really “heavy snow”. Would certainly be most welcome however.
latest report
Snow was really very good today, top of faust was superb, in fact all of faust was super all the way down to flaine, just avoid the odd ski killer rock poking out! Even the winding red celestine? down to aup du veran was nice. They are doing a super job with the snow.

Corbalanche lift was shut due to wind on the way back, and portet was really the first bit busy piste we had to go down all day. Combe down to les carroz had the odd thin brown bit, but it was ok, better than timalets as noted above that had too many stones on it.

Brill piste day!

and finally a piste basher is on the free figaro run next to moving carpet, moving all the cannoned snow, so you should be able to ski down rather than walk down the tube....yay!!
snow report
I see Gers draglift finally fixed. How's the snow?
ski holidays
only skied Les carroz and morillon today, and just doing a few runs repeating them alot. Snow was very good, it was nearly perfect piste skiing. Just the odd stone, which les carroz seems to suffering more from. However timalets on the way back was very stoney and thin, don't think we will be doing that again without more snow.

Didn't have to walk down the tube, at the end of the day, yay!!
snow report
Any tips/suggestions for some easier black slopes to attempt (or particularly difficult ones to avoid at first)? We'll be out there mid-March and staying in Flaine, but intend to cover the whole area.

I know it very much depends on conditions, but some idea in advance would be appreciated.
ski holidays
A lot depends on snow. Corbalanche is great when it's had a bit of snow (assuming you don't mind a few bumps)!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are more loose rocks on Les Carroz today than the last few days. Much warmer today too. The bottom of Morillon was closed due to lack of snow. Flaine is quite icy. More snow expecting on Friday and Saturday. Here's to hoping they'll open Cascades on Saturday Very Happy Anyone around this week wanna ski together?
ski holidays
Flying out Sunday. Looks like around 20cm forecasted Fri/Sat and followed by blue skies and cold temperatures. Fingers crossed. Just need Cascades to open now - seems rather hopeful.
snow conditions
skied a bit of les carroz today, but mostly flaine. Snow surprisingly good, nice and grippy, over towards the desert blanc lift side of things it a bit more polished, but fine piste skiing. Seemed to be lots of groups of blokes skiing too fast and mostly badly today, my VI skier got a bit spooked at times.

End of day decided to save the skis and downloaded down the gondola in les carroz as combe is a bit of a mess at the bottom and timalets is a sea of stones.
snow conditions
It started snowing in Flaine at about 1pm and it's still snowing now. I would guess that there's been about 10 cm of fresh snow so let's hope it keeps snowing all night. Timalets was better today (less stones) but Morillon was getting very brown towards the bottom of the Sairon chair by midday. Just driven down to Magland and back, the snow/rain line is just above Carroz but hopefully that will fall during the night. As others have said, the pistes are generally in very good condition, partly because it is fairly quiet but mainly due to the cold temperatures and only weak sun at this time of the year. If is carries on snowing all night the traditional transfer day tomorrow could produce carnage on the roads with ill-equipped cars and crazy drivers. Me? I will be out there searching for some fresh powder!

@andylocity, I don't think there's any chance Cascades will be open, the bottom is IIRC at about 900 metres, where it will be raining at the moment.
ski holidays
Hi! dropping into this thread, as we've just booked a long weekend in Flaine. Can anyone recommend private transfer company, from experience?

I've used Alp2Alp previously to Chamonix - and they were fine, no problems. Just wondering if anyone had other options to recommend... Thanks!
snow conditions
@Richie_S, we used Action Transfers (for Les Carroz) - a shared transfer but we ended up being the only ones in the minibus each way. Would recommend.
ski holidays
@Chris Mason, the Grand Massif website just posted this update: "Sixt opening - Tariff 5€". Any chance Cascades will be open? Confused
ski holidays
Very pleased to hear it’s snowing - 8 days until our next visit
snow conditions
Arriving tomorrow evening. Also glad to hear there is some new snow on the ground.
ski holidays
Richie_S wrote:
Hi! dropping into this thread, as we've just booked a long weekend in Flaine. Can anyone recommend private transfer company, from experience?

I've used Alp2Alp previously to Chamonix - and they were fine, no problems. Just wondering if anyone had other options to recommend... Thanks!

Gomassif are great for any of the resorts. Not the cheapest but good service the last 6 times I've used them.
latest report
We have booked Gomassif for our transfers tomorrow
ski holidays
+1 for Gomassif
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy