Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2019/2020 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Well the forecast rain.......happened, and lots of it!, Morillon has re-opened, but we only went down to the 3 man chair as it was near the end of our skiing and we were very wet! The best was top of tete des saix where it was snowing, so not so soggy, but just off it, it turned into rain, that was really heavy at times. Was not surprisingly not very busy....no idea why!

Still raining hard in Les Carroz, my sweet protection jacket was superb and kept me very dry, helly hansen salopettes were not!! Daughters army hestra gloves are sodden all the way through, my gore-tex version are bone dry inside, so when we get back we are off to buy................. more gore-tex stuff!

now attempting to dry it all out! so apartment looks like a laundry!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am out there starting the 26th. First time in the Grand Massif! I am a fairly good skier who got bailed on by his group so happy to ski with someone for a couple of hours and enjoy the coming sunshine! Cheers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied this morning but was fairly pants. Snow v hard with loads of bobbles I guess due to the rain to high levels on 24th then freeze overnight.

Was busy as expected. Lots of idiots flying down a very crowded Marmottes in Carroz. One guy going full tilt just missed my son and then crashed v hard. Was lucky he didn’t take anyone else out. Was glad to get off the mountain.

Afternoon went snow shoeing with my parents up at Col de Joux Plane. Great fun and lovely weather.

More snow to come on Friday hopefully. Happy Christmas everyone !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quick question... someone who was in Flaine a couple of years ago has recommended a restaurant called '1842 La Montana' but couldn't remember where exactly it was other than that it was tricky to get to... where is it and is it worth it?
In fact, while we're at it, where are the good places to eat and where's best to avoid?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pouring with rain in Samoens this morning but snowline doesn’t look that high up so fingers crossed it’s been falling as snow on the pistes....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Pouring with rain in Samoens this morning but snowline doesn’t look that high up so fingers crossed it’s been falling as snow on the pistes....

Woke up to large chunks of snow falling in Morillon at 1100m. It's a little thinner now but still snow, and the grassy holes off the side of the piste are starting to fill in.

Quote:

Am out there starting the 26th. First time in the Grand Massif! I am a fairly good skier who got bailed on by his group so happy to ski with someone for a couple of hours and enjoy the coming sunshine! Cheers

I think I should be able to meet up for some runs... I'm around until the 5th. Sadly it's also my first year in the Grand Massif so I don't have any local knowledge to bring to the table I'm afraid, but I'm happy to go searching.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs wrote:
Quick question... someone who was in Flaine a couple of years ago has recommended a restaurant called '1842 La Montana' but couldn't remember where exactly it was other than that it was tricky to get to... where is it and is it worth it?
In fact, while we're at it, where are the good places to eat and where's best to avoid?

It's up a hill on right side of Marmottes after junction where Corne turns off to left and Goules to the right.
We usually wait for a break in traffic and bomb down
Marmottes to have enough speed to make it most of way up the snow road up to mini chalet. Little restaurant off left to Dahu is nice. BN
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BAN wrote:
Higs wrote:

It's up a hill on right side of Marmottes after junction where Corne turns off to left and Goules to the right.
We usually wait for a break in traffic and bomb down
Marmottes to have enough speed to make it most of way up the snow road up to mini chalet. Little restaurant off left to Dahu is nice. BN

Yes, 1842 is in Samoens and you can hear the music from it as you go up the Chariande express.

Le Luge de Terran is the restaurant at the bottom of Gouilles and Dahu. Very popular and best to only go if you are eating between 12-2pm or be prepared to sit outside for drinks only orders.
https://m.facebook.com/

Brasserie des saix at the corner of Marmottes, Samoens.

I don’t eat at Pre du Oscar. Always check your change if paying cash at the bar.

Lou Caboens, Samoens is nice but busy.

L’epicea in Flaine does amazing traditional foods.

Bon apetite!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Higs, there’s a lot of restaurant info on page 1 of this very thread, including my own half-baked summary of Flaine’s gastronomic hotspots, if you’d care to scroll back a bit. It’s more about the in-town options, but I see others are coming good with more suggestions for on-piste dining now.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ingemar_Skidmark wrote:
@Higs, there’s a lot of restaurant info on page 1 of this very thread, including my own half-baked summary of Flaine’s gastronomic hotspots, if you’d care to scroll back a bit. It’s more about the in-town options, but I see others are coming good with more suggestions for on-piste dining now.

Thanks - I'll go back to the start and read up then. We're actually staying in Morillon so the on-piste recommendations are more relevant but I bet there's other useful stuff I've missed too.

Anyway... Just arriving Coquelles...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If vis low, Chalet D'Clair above Morillon is cosy and the food hearty and good. Best salads in GM at Le Blanchot in Flaine, although drinks dear there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great day today, snow was fantastic and not even that busy. Skied with the kids this morning and after dropping them home went back for some more.

Usually a morning person more than afternoon and forgot how moguled Tourmaline can get. Anyway my thighs are paying for it now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived Les Esserts at about 18:30, unpacked and enjoying a beer. There appears to be snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in Flaine after quickest transit of GVA ever- wheels down to sitting in van - 45 mins inc luggage !
Road down from Flaine rammed with big q in Les Carroz. Looks like a mild week of good weather
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the updates! Speedy transits, beers and snow! Results all round!
Cool
snow conditions
Sat in bar le 7, Morillon after a good first day. We had a dabble into Samoens this morning but had to come back for a boot change then had a dabble in Carroz this afternoon. Snow ok and nobody injured.

Flaine tomorrow.
latest report
Snow high in Flaine was good today - cold so had gone chalky. Very warm though later on so expect spring conditions all week. And took me there are some mentalists on the slopes-I had to speak to some French guy who nailed about 6 people out of control. Patrol found him though and binned him so there is hope.
snow conditions
Warm today. Went up to grand platieres and had some good fun. Coming back down the first pitch from tete des saix was, as usual, carnage.

Last day for us today, had a great time.

Hope there is some fresh snow soonish and everyone enjoys the blue skies for the meantime.
ski holidays
There’s some proper nutter skiing going on. I’ve worked for years as an instructor but some of this was next level chaos ! Weather lovely and snow sets up nice first thing , is a bit rough after 1/2pm so we have been swimming and erm drinking !!
snow report
@orange, Loving your work!

Too many people! But that’s NeW year I guess. I suspect everyone headed to Flaine but Samoens was lush first thing.
Tete de saix was indeed carnage as was marmottes blue down to Les Moulietts - thin snow, rocks - all day it was M25 like plus the aforementioned nutters. Glad to hear pisteurs do take action.

Anyone know how Tormaline and Dolomie were throughout the day?

Also is Coulouvrier only accessible from the Morrison side? From the app, it looks like Auioa run is closed. Fingers crossed for some snowmaking?

Loved the Elvis tribute this morning at the GME. And the free hot chocolate for the kids Smile at the end of the day.

L’igloo was queuing down the piste at lunch today! ❄️☃️
ski holidays
It does help being able to speak the lingo to be fair and the pisteur who I spoke to was great and all for finding them - I had a photo. I’m not a piste nazi but bloody hell it was grade A dangerous out of control skiing. To balance it my 6 yo had a massive crash today under my tutelage so I’m in the dog house now for going too fast Very Happy
latest report
@orange, Hope 6yo intact and just bounced as per Michelin man layers?!

Can I asked how far out of your way you went to find a pisteur (great work with the photo evidence)? And how on earth did they find the guy amongst the chaos (Paris must be deserted...)?
snow report
Yeah she bounced fine today, we were pushing it a bit on some reds and she got cut up and went over a bump then off the side of the piste Shocked
Face plant after a bit of air, I’ve taught kids for 20 years but when it’s yours you get a bit more worried!
Pisteur was at bottom of run, i expresses my concern and patrol were there anyway with one of the injured so I showed him photos, told him my experience and they pulled the guy at top of the lift Very Happy
ski holidays
Tourmaline and Dolomie fine throughout the day although both get v moguled in the afternoon. Snow is fine though plenty of cover. Both pistes v busy.

You can only access Colouvrier from Morillon as the Samoens piste Aoulia is closed. Shame as would relieve some of the pressure on Chariande express.
ski holidays
@orange, That’s quite the wipeout! That one will definitely appear in her ‘big write’ at school at some point, probably under the title: My best day ever!

Seriously good work on the piste patrolling. It felt today like some of the speed demons were deliberately skiing/boarding angrily *at* everyone because they were raging that so many people were in their way but that congestion wasn’t going to stop them compromising on their crazy ass speeds.

@Ghanny, Thanks. Agree with you about the pressure on the Chariande Express. I was hoping the new snow canon lake would be keeping the Aoulia open. Wishful thinking clearly.

Cool
snow report
Amazingly good offpiste with snow on Eastern and Northern slopes keeping nice and fluffy. Toured a little bit today to earn my turns from above Flaine, ended down in Le Caroz. Amazing conditions compared to previous winters. Feb is shaping to be epic given the excellent base already in place.

As for the nutters on piste - it’s pretty bad, but it’s the New Year week....
ski holidays
Although the snow is thin in places I think the pistes are in remarkably good condition. I went down Aouia yesterday, I sometimes go blind when I see signs saying it was closed but as there were plenty of other people on it as well I figured t couldn't be too bad, although it was a bit bare in places. Yes, it is very busy but that is always the same - it is the second busiest week of the season after the English half term. Ther Chariande Express queue yesterday at about 10.00 was the worst I've ever seen. Stayed in the Flaine bowl early morning until the hordes came over and then went across to Carroz and spent most of the rest of the morning and afternoon over 'that side'. Marvel was in good condition with only a few brown patches lower down and the run down from the bottom of the Gron chair to Carroz was OK. The north facing slope beside the Veret drag had some soft snow.

For me, one of the most dangerous things, whether busy or not, is when people go off the side of the piste and then rejoin the piste without checking up hill, surely people on the piste have right of way.....

All in all, the group of people I'm out with are having a cracking good time.

Happy new year to everyone.
snow report
Lunch in the sunshine.
Kids loving ski school.
Sunny days and snowy slopes.

Bring on the Twenties!

Happy NEW YEar ALL!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As posted above the piste conditions are holding up well.

Took the kids for a ski over lunchtime 12-2 and pistes felt much quieter (and safer). I highly recommend the strategy to anyone who’s fed up with the numerous fast out of control skiers around this week....
snow report
Agree, took Eddie the Eagle (after yesterday’s airtime crash) for a ski 12:45-2 and it was deserted. Flaines a funny place , had a few drinks down in central part earlier but it’s a bit odd really. Anyhoo, snows nice and if you avoid the nutters it’s fine. Canard, wine and roasties for dinner
Edit: And we skied Faust for 2 hours today and there was literally nobody around for most of the time , bizarre.
latest report
@orange, you think the town or the piste area is odd? I don’t know the town well...in what way odd?

On the weather front, I don’t think we have enough layers for the forthcoming deep freeze forecast on Saturday onwards...5 deg plunging to -23! ❄️❄️❄️❄️
latest report
Town, it’s a bit Wester Hailes in the Sky. Although to be fair I’m with a friend today who is what would be considered a famous
rock star so being able to have a few beers and Genepis with nobody giving a poo-poo is fantastic. Tonight it’s us and kids being stupid.
snow conditions
Please tell me who your friend is. Our family has a lookalike competition on holidays and the OH won with double jeopardy a few years back when we all agreed the Jay Kay spotted was the best. Until we realised it was actually The real Jay Kay and triple points were awarded! I need a good win...I’m rubbish at it!
snow report
Ha sadly I won’t be naming, I did however also meet Jay Kay at the Applecross Inn. I was bike touring and having a beer in the un, he arrived on a KTM bike and at with me. We had a chat about cars and I had no idea who he was for ages, he’s got a beard ! Anyhoo, he has a house in Gairloch.
ski holidays
I hear lifties trying to get Gers open for tomorrow.
ski holidays
Good tip thanks @BAN,
snow report
Torn between Flaine and VT fie the 18th of Jan for a week, nice quick transfer to Flaine, nice area, no uni parties, cheaper etc but not sure what the snow will be like and if all the runs will be open. Went last March and enjoyed the change in vibe to VT, but VT seems to have more snow unsurprisingly. Decisions, decisions!
ski holidays
@Skrabble, piste conditions are currently very good in Flaine despite the NY hordes.

I’d be happy with a week in either and lucky you being able to pick a nice quiet week to ski!
snow report
Roger C wrote:
@Skrabble, piste conditions are currently very good in Flaine despite the NY hordes.

I’d be happy with a week in either and lucky you being able to pick a nice quiet week to ski!

We went to VT the same week last year and it seemed busy to me. We will probably go to Flaine as we liked the more chilled out vibe of it compared to VT, also been to VT a few times now but only once to Flaine. Either way we will get some mileage in hopefully.
ski holidays
Roger C wrote:
Good tip thanks @BAN,
You're welcome!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy