Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Would like to get away with the hubby for a ski weekend. Requirements:

Fri/mon off work - so flight to be commensurate with that
Has to be accessible from north east airports.
Not a long transfer
Somewhere with a bit of apres
somewhere other than morzine/pds or via lattea

Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done exactly this last winter to Chamonix.

2 days off work (Friday and Monday) + weekend getting 3.5 skiing days out of 4.

Plenty flights London to Geneva Friday first hours, get in Chamonix by 11-12:00 and ski the afternoon, full-day Saturday, Sunday and Monday, returning in late flight on Monday.

I stayed in Ski Station (very onbudget hostel, not for everyone) which is literally next to Brevent gondola and used shared transfer door-to-door. Also, I had rented skis with delivery included.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
don't know about NE airports but Easyjet has 2 per day from Edinburgh to Geneva, as I do this 4 times over the winter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@v1cky24, Used to do a Jet2 from LBA to GVA a few years ago, could get 3.5 days skiing for 2 days off work, but last time I looked the times didn't work. they used to do a 06.40 ish flight out and a 21.30 back.

Just checked now and the LBA departure is 08.00 and arrives 11.00 into GVA which means you'd be lucky to get much skiing day 1. Flight back is after 8pm so you'd get a full day skiing on final day, but i'd prefer an evening flight out and OK another nights b&b but a full day 1 skiing possible in that way.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 21-10-19 12:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done afterwork flights from both Birm and Manchester quite frequently on Thursdays (and sometimes Friday) - for weekends in Chamonix.

Other ski resorts are available Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@v1cky24, first step is to identify where you can fly to for the best times and prices. Depending on where you land and the time in the season, the answers could be very different.
For a start point, there are resorts close to Geneva, Salzburg, Zurich, Munich, Milan, Innsbruck, Venice, Nice, Grenoble, Turin, Ljubljana etc but the flight price and timings are not always suitable (or even available) for a cheap weekend...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gustavobs, London is not in the North East of England. Nor is Birmingham or Manchester @fixx,

@v1cky24, May I suggest somewhere a bit left field - Zakopane in Poland. One's wife and one went there a couple of years ago for a 3 day weekend. We got a late flight to Krakow on a Wednesday night with Ryanair from Birmingham and returned very late on the Sunday having had a day sight seeing in Krakow. The hotel in Zakopane arranged all the transfers. It was good quality and inexpensive. The skiing was OK rather than brilliant, but it was different and almost deserted. There are hot springs and a lovely swimming complex for the evenings. There are also clubs with live music.

No doubt further research would find other resorts in the high Tatra available from Bratislava

We used ryanair from Birmingham but I suspect the usual suspects jet2, easyjet, ryanair do the route from Newcastle (I cannot be bothered to check - sorry)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-10-19 13:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've done a couple of weekends.

1) Megeve - expensive from an eating and drinking perspective, but decent accommodation is available. Good size ski area, protected and tree line skiing. An hour fifteen from Geneva

2) Zell Am See - lively town an hour and a half from Salzburg. Good range of accommodation. Ski area twinned with Kaprun is big enough for a weekend.

Am doing Cervinia this year so will let you know how it goes.

Gordon
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@v1cky24, Chamonix (1hr transfer) or Verbier (2hr transfer) good weekend options from Geneva, assuming you can get flights there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

@v1cky24, Chamonix (1hr transfer) or Verbier (2hr transfer) good weekend options from Geneva, assuming you can get flights there.

Those plus Megeve make sense from GVA.
Don't know if you can get to Zurich from Newcastle but Engelberg would be a good option if you can.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I should also add, a couple of other places we looked at when comparing:

La Cluzac - Megeve was that bit closer so that's what edged it, but am keen to head here and it could be an option;
Wagrain - accommodation was a bit of an issue here and we weren't sure about the Apres;
Kitzbuhel - were were a group of 8 and cheap accommodation was a requirements, so finding accommodation when we wanted to book was hard, but it ticks the Apres and skiing elements; and
Meribel - with a fair run (ie not school holidays or a Sunday/Sat evening) you can get to and from Geneva in an hour and a half/hour 45. Again accomodation for 8 was the issue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you take at Alpybus, that'll give you an idea of where they go to with shared transfers, appreciate there is also more transfer companies as well.

Obvious places from Geneva would be:
Portes du Soleil (although say you'd rather elsewhere)
Chamonix/les houches
Flaine/Morillon/Samoëns
Megeve/ St Gervais/ Les Contamines
La Clusaz/ Le Grand Bornand
Courmayeur (depending on transfers)

As others have mentioned, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Turin could all offer alternatives, depending on what flights are available to you. And in addition, you could look at Venice as a gateway to the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@v1cky24, exactly which airports? Newcastle? Edinburgh?

Without checking almost certainly Geneva optimal.

Fly out straight from work Thursday and back Monday night / Tuesday super early morning (+ you gain an hour).

4 full ski days for two leave days.

Very efficient.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@v1cky24, Pals of mine have just got 4 days skiing in Megeve for £80 flight (inc hold baggage) and £150 for an apartment. 2nd weekend in Jan, flying from Liverpool to Geneva Thursday evening returning Monday evening. So it can be done and I'm sure there'll be something similar from the NE.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all.

Ideally it would be ncl or lba. I cant see Manchester being viable for a weekend stint.

I can probably get to Geneva relatively simply I’d think. I wasn’t sure on where to go an hour or so the other side - totally forgot about grand massif (I generally avoid as we usually head out early season and I have memories of stories from friends who told me tales of much grass and little snow there) but this weekend would be late jan/Feb.
snow conditions
I went to La Clusaz / Le Grand-Bornand for a short trip on my own last year and really liked it. Would definitely recommend it for a weekend away for a couple, especially if your flight times match up with Aravis Shuttle's timetable from Geneva Airport

Really good service and if you stay close enough to the "gare routiere" in either town, it's almost a door-to-door service.

Neither are massive resorts and I did 2 days in LC and 1 day in GB last year, and am planning to do same length trip but with days reversed this January. Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
Scotland.

Ski 4 whole days.

In 4 resorts.
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I went to La Clusaz / Le Grand-Bornand for a short trip on my own last year and really liked it. Would definitely recommend it for a weekend away for a couple, especially if your flight times match up with Aravis Shuttle's timetable from Geneva Airport

Really good service and if you stay close enough to the "gare routiere" in either town, it's almost a door-to-door service.

Neither are massive resorts and I did 2 days in LC and 1 day in GB last year, and am planning to do same length trip but with days reversed this January. Fingers crossed!

Did pretty much this last year myself. Worked very well.

2 of us had a hire car which made the transfer even quicker (literally 1 hour). 3rd mate stayed for an extra day and got the Aravis shuttle back to the airport.
snow conditions
@v1cky24, too much choice... Aravis (e.g. Clusaz), GM, if it was me and I had to book my accom, I'd probably go Chamonix due heights (or Argentiere). Grand massif has probably got best snow making but that's no good if too mild...

Assuming directs only, flights a bit limiting though, LBA pretty much useless.

NCL-GVA .. Fri ...... 31.01 ... 06h55-10h00 - arguably in resort for 13h00? afternoon pass
GVA-NCL .. Mon ...03.02 ... 10h40-11h50

So 2.5 days skiing even with optimal transfers.

Not terrible, not optimal, not the EOTW.
snow report
v1cky24,

You could ski on arrival day at Lelex, in the Jura mountains, 20 minutes from Geneva airport (by hire car).

Its a great little ski area, with cheap lift tickets and lovely views of Geneva, the Lake and the Airport. And it's linked to the resort of Crozet, "over the back."

After that, you could then drive elsewhere to ski for a couple of days.

Remember to let us know what you decide.
latest report
I do two four day trips every year and it’s all about flight times as suggested above. See where you can get an early flight to and a late one back as you can maximise skiing time. I’d also suggest that a slightly longer transfer of up to two hours opens up the possibility of more options.
ski holidays
@maddness, I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but here aren't many <direct> flight options out of NCL (GVA only) and none from LBA...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@v1cky24, too much choice... Aravis (e.g. Clusaz), GM, if it was me and I had to book my accom, I'd probably go Chamonix due heights (or Argentiere). Grand massif has probably got best snow making but that's no good if too mild...

Assuming directs only, flights a bit limiting though, LBA pretty much useless.

NCL-GVA .. Fri ...... 31.01 ... 06h55-10h00 - arguably in resort for 13h00? afternoon pass
GVA-NCL .. Mon ...03.02 ... 10h40-11h50

So 2.5 days skiing even with optimal transfers.

Not terrible, not optimal, not the EOTW.

Can't disagree with Cham being probably the easiest option with abundance of transfer companies and accommodation of various ranges via various sources.

Only downside is the disjointed nature of their various ski areas, but that should only be 1 ski bus at the start and end of each day (possibly walking distance on arrival afternoon) and you definitely wouldn't struggle to find places to eat either.
snow report
@v1cky24, do you need a transfer or would you hire a car?
snow report
Transfer I’d say @underanewname
snow report
Couldn't fault Alpybus on my two short trips to Chamonix from Geneva last season.

Cheapest option other than Ouibus, but unlike them, they actually have a manned desk and have lots of transfers going there every day so you should be fine if your flight out gets delayed.

Door-to-door service to anywhere in Chamonix which isn't within pedestrian area and picked me up bang on when they said they would for return to Geneva.
latest report
@jebroni3_16, Easybus usually cheaper but not doorstep pickup.

We tend to use Mountain Dropoffs.

@v1cky24, it is true that Cham’s a bit spread out, nature of the topography and history... lots of fine bars and restaurants... jeepers, I think we’ll be up to three sushi bars for this winter!
latest report
Right.. I’ve found flights to Munich.

What resorts (in Austria) can I get to easily from Munich? I’m told of a train or something Laughing

Or is someone fibbing to me?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html
ski holidays
@v1cky24, Train to Kitzbuhel? Flights from where? Carrier? I’d suggest drive to MAN we’ve never managed to find well timed flights from NEast.
snow report
v1cky24 Munich to Mayrhofen is easy enough by train - station is in the airport. Needs one (sometimes two) changes but all very straightforward.

Car hire would make things easier still.
ski holidays
v1cky24 wrote:
Right.. I’ve found flights to Munich.

What resorts (in Austria) can I get to easily from Munich? I’m told of a train or something Laughing

Or is someone fibbing to me?

Train is easy but you need to go via main station in Munich. By car, plenty of resorts within 2 hours drive.

http://www.ifyouski.com/ski-resorts/useful-info/transfers/munich.aspx
ski holidays
Easy transfers from Munich to lots of places with Four Seasons Transfers: https://www.tirol-taxi.at/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0vTtBRBREiwA3URt7uMP26VXDweg4sidQosj6FB2UDnFYek18jdwyMFWcORPBflK5A8K0RoC4nIQAvD_BwE
snow conditions
Thanks all!

Haven’t been to Austria yet Shocked Would really like to!

So best resorts from Munich :

Mayrhofen & ski welt?
latest report
@v1cky24, flight from where and which carrier?
snow report
From Munich we have done weekend trips to Kitzbuhel, St Johann in Tirol and Garmisch. We hired a car each time.
latest report
@Markymark29, Lufthansa - have swung another day off work on the Thursday so thought just by chance I’d try Manchester - flight times are reasonable and only £70!
ski holidays
@v1cky24, That Lufthansa is the one we use, great service. Wish they did that from Leeds though!
ski holidays
I’m watching this as a lady in the office suggested a few of us try a long weekend. I’ll take on board all the above, but two questions not yet discussed:

Equipment rental, including boots. Best way not to lose time getting it fitted? Are shops open in the evening or early morning?

Accommodation. I’m not used to chalets, am used to Booking.com! I think France is chalets, not sure about Switzerland, but Austria is tourist offices?

Sorry to hijack Smile
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
I’m watching this as a lady in the office suggested a few of us try a long weekend. I’ll take on board all the above, but two questions not yet discussed:

Equipment rental, including boots. Best way not to lose time getting it fitted? Are shops open in the evening or early morning?

Accommodation. I’m not used to chalets, am used to Booking.com! I think France is chalets, not sure about Switzerland, but Austria is tourist offices?

Sorry to hijack Smile

I've generally found ski shops open from c.8am so before the lifts open. Get up early on the first morning, get fitted and off you go, ready for first lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy