Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you like skiing/snowboarding so much?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
stevew wrote:
In the mountains
Fresh Air
A physical and mental challenge
Getting away in winter to do something invigorating
Rewinding the old clock spring
Something to keep fit for!
Speed
Companionship
Great crack
Good food
The views
Break from reality!
Time to myself
Bit of anorakism's as well.

All these and more

most of this and more (take out the speed for me though... and perhaps the companionship even because although I love to ski with friends I also love to ski all alone especially early mornings... and even te food is not an essential component)

but more than anything.... learning to control my body.... to be able to THINK what i want to happen and for it to actually happen.... THIS is a huge buzz.... better than any drugs could ever be.... far more powerful than writing self off in a drunken binge... THIS is addictive....

what compares?
actually surfing surpasses this feeling.... especially when it is warm and you can surf in a rashy and boardshorts...... I think skiing cannot compare because you just can't immerse yourself in the snow in that manner so you are feeling the snow all over you.... (brrrrrrr!)

I have beautiful memories from both... but started surfing only recently... but my memories of surfing while a storm passes over us... or as the sun sets and the fish flip from the water around us while a big ray passes underneath... or the sun warming us as we paddle out in cool water.... or riding an unbroken wave and doing that FIRST turn... wow rush!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
little tiger wrote:
wow rush!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

no matter what you do,thats the result that keeps you going back for more.

To lift the Spirit high.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick_C wrote:
little tiger wrote:
wow rush!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

no matter what you do,thats the result that keeps you going back for more.

To lift the Spirit high.

oh yeah....

horribly addicted to both skiing and surfing... so i never know if I want summer or winter...... just that I'd prefer not to work Wink (any rich old men looking for company Wink )

I can get a buzz teaching a snowboarder how to have TWO feet on a beginner hill, or cruising with intermediate skiing buddies, or just working on technical stuff.... I'm easy to please.... for me it is all in the feeling and not much in "being cool" or "being the best" or "going hard" .... just in the sensory stuff.... in being able to feel all that stuff and almost wallow in sensory input...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sensory input for me is the views, the clean air, the sound of a ski on a good turn, the food and drink.

It's the internals as well. I never relex the same on a summer beach holiday like I do while skiing, Sailing comes close but I not done that for years.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
surfing does it....

same feelings sort of.... watching the waves.... paddling for one.... then the feeling as it grabs you and then you are slipping down it and trying to make the right moves to use the strength of the water for you to ride it.... instead of to squash you under it....

you have to work with the water - same as you dance with the mountain... if you fight - it ALWAYS wins...

yes sensory input - feeling of wind on face, silent quality of snow falling even in a howling gale!, sleet sandblasting your face, wombats digging, echidnas nosing for food, flame robins flitting past heralding the spring as they catch insects, black cockatoos flying ahead as you ski through the trees, the creamy silkiness of corn underfoot, the crispness of hardpack, the smell of good kafi lutz, and pancakes, the sight of snowgums bent under their loads of snow, tracks of small critters inbetween the wombat tracks, the sastrugi layed up on top of the mountain, or the green ice layers glistening in the sun, the sight of the windblown snow coming in from the range, the feel of it as you change from the ice to the windblown pile on the lee side of the face....

all this and more is skiing to me....

almond pastries with friends, home smoked trout with others, pizza and beer and red wine and chocolate and schnapps and stacking firewood and splitting kindling and starting the fire and sitting eating and drinking by the fire and late night talks about the world in general.....

skiing out of the resort and arriving to car warm from the hike out from the creek to find the cold beer you left with the car....the feel of the first gulps going down the throat....

surprise birthday picnics that you ski to with friends.... out of bounds again....

Looking at your tracks on teh hill above the resort.... laughing at them.... while eating suberb lunches .... and drinking more cold beer!(spring is great warm enough to really enjoy a cold beer) (Ok I telemark BADLY)

Death cookies rattling your teeth out or trying to tip you over, hitting the clear snow and nearly stopping dead in your tracks, skiing the wind ridges and feeling the skis alternate between ice and soft silky snow, slush piles grabbing at your skis, tree roots grabbing at your skis, feel of granite(nope don't like that one!) ....

wind sneaking through every small gap in your clothing and getting to you some how.... hunching over on the T-bar to protect the face from the wind... getting to the top and turning back into wind... and racing for the shelter of being LOWER DOWN.... stopping and grinning like idiots at each other when you get out of it! Stupidly going back for more time after time because the skiing is so great! with a gropu of like minded fools all grinning at you too!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I miss Surfing - used to go 4 or 5 times a year to Newquay, Cornwall - before all the Chav Stag and Hen parties ruined the place.

Not so easy now, live further away and have responsibilities - oh life was so simple then!

Still, now I make up for it with Skiing, so there are some upsides Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I miss surfing... but I have found an Oz level 2 surf coach (=good) in Sligo and he seems nice and says he will take me on when the water warms up a bit (eventually they assure me it will actually get to a temperature that me and thick wet suit can stand)..... another few months after that and i can prop in some nice coastal town in Oz for a few months and catch up on the surfing I'm missing now....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing makes me forget about everything thats is foxtrot uniform in the world, the snow cover everything all the flaws in the terrain. Wen im out all i think about is the next turn the next drop nothing else matters. Its the one thing that makes me truely happy.

not to mention the rush you get when you and ya mates push u to go bigger and better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, excellent. Says a lot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Because it is Fab! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boarding makes me feel alive.. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy