Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Coincidentally, I also have a Marmut HS Stoney jacket which I find far too cold (even with suitable base layers)

I would argue that if you are far too cold your base layers are not "suitable". That's the beauty of layers you can add/subtract until you find a comfortable temperature.

Quote:

Decathlon puffer jacket - rated as good as a Rab costing 5 times as much by guide I ski with.

Decathlon are fantastic. A lot of people get a bit snobby and turn their noses up in favour of big brands though. Decathlons light down jacket is £40 - weight 290g and guaranteed fill rating of 800cuin. Rab light down jacket (prosar) looks nearly identical, weighs more (371g) and has the same fill rating, but costs £230! Shocked once my current goretex jacket is finished I plan to get a decathlon shell for snowboarding as much more affordable - £90 for 15,000mm waterproof which is more than enough for my needs.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like Decathlon too, I know when I buy stuff from there that I am not paying anything for the "name"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a good friend of mine taught me many years ago - its better to shiver than sweat...

Also, you should feel slightly cold on the first lift of the day. If you are warm, then you are wearing too much
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find that with Goretex it only starts dumping the mositure when there's a significant difference in air moisture content between inside & outside of the jacket. This means that once you get a bit sweaty inside the jacket it doesnt dry out totally again. Opening the armpit vents or front zip drys out that area but the back remains sweaty. If you are damp and then it gets colder / less sunny later in the day it feels like you are wearing a wet cotton T-shirt / wet sock. Prefer eVent to Goretex for this reason.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
I find that with Goretex it only starts dumping the mositure when there's a significant difference in air moisture content between inside & outside of the jacket. This means that once you get a bit sweaty inside the jacket it doesnt dry out totally again. Opening the armpit vents or front zip drys out that area but the back remains sweaty. If you are damp and then it gets colder / less sunny later in the day it feels like you are wearing a wet cotton T-shirt / wet sock. Prefer eVent to Goretex for this reason.

In my experience eVent does seem SLIGHTLY more breathable than Goretex but I don't know about the lastest versions of Goretex (it is now getting much more R&D than eVent). The shell that is MATERIALLY more breathable is the polartec one - neoshell? But it is a bit less windproof (very waterproof).

On the topic of insulated vs shell I do have the definitive answer Very Happy

It depends Very Happy

Seriously though - shell plus layers is a lot more flexible (for weather, for types of skiing, for non-skiing). If was only going to own one ski jacket it would be the best hard shell I could afford.
However, for most days of lift-served skiing I actually think an insulated jacket is better. You only need a base layer underneath and one pull of a zipper allows you to adjust warmth and dump heat.
I have several shells and a couple of insulated jackets and spend more days in the insulated jackets when I'm not going to be skinning
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a Mountain Equipment neoshell walking jacket, in fact I still have it, it is easily more breathable than anythng else I've tried, nice soft fabric too. Unfortunately they discontinued it years ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone tried Ascentshell?
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/where-have-all-the-event-rain-jackets-gone/

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-insulated-jacket

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/clothing-mens/best-hardshell-jacket
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@IainMcT, I have the Arteryx Mens Fissile Jacket bought it about five years ago, we ski around four weeks a year, from December through to March, it’s a great jacket, down and gortex, slightly long which I like when sitting on a cold chair, have skied in freezing Banff (Sunshine) and glorious Saalbach in March, all i do is alter my layers, its normally a merino base and mid layer for really cold days I go to a heavier mid layer, never been too cold, if I do get warm the pit zips come into their own.

I had thought about going to a shell when I changed jacket, but decided not to after skiing with someone who had a one and watched them peel off all those layer when we stopped for lunch, I had ordered by they time they finished Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ditch the synthetic t-shirt !!

I generally wear two base layers under an insulated jacket (Spyder). I feel less constricted than with a fleece and after a run or two, more than warm enough. Basically if your in the shade on a windy exposed chair or run and it's well into minus figures, you're going to be cold but that's hands/face rather than the jacket.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tis amusing all this talk over jackets, and believe me I love my jackets!

But for ski touring on the up, in good weather conditions; now I just use my Marmot Air Lite over a single merino base type layer.

It's so light and thin and packs into a pocket so a sort of anthesis to all the talk of jackets in this thread.

Last few days it's been -10 and less and windy, but this just keeps the chill off whilst I stay cool, then I soon as I stop I whip out my 3 yr old down Jottnar Fenrir putting it on straight over the Air-Lite. In my pack, I also have a very old Patagonia micro-lite.

I have a new down Elevenate Aglie but can't quite bring myself to ski in that, as invariably we often end up combat skiing in the forest and bushes, some of which have some nasty barbs on.

The down jackets pack much lighter and less volume than a hardshell I find.

Currently, I'm "testing" a Klättermusen Farbaute down jacket...

Farbaute was a double winner at ISPO this year, the Farbaute won Gold in the Outdoors category and also took home the coveted “Sustainability Achievement Award”, with the judges commending its durability, functionality and design.

https://www.klattermusen.com/en/editorial-page/farbaute/

It's so damn warm and toasty, trouble is it's too damn warm and toasty, it's like being in bed under the duvet, so at the moment I only use it to walk the dogs, but would be great if you were up the hill and stuck on a chair lift, but for ski touring it's not exactly practical.

And +1 to Decathlon, their Simond gear is quality stuff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam,

Likewise I often use one of these and thin Merino base/mid layers, only wear a jacket with a membrane if it's blowing a gale.

Marmot Herren Preon Hybrid Jacke
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1806611

It's only windproof on the front panels so the back & armpits are free to breath. When it's really cold I put a woolmix gillet over the top.

... but for resort skiing, which is what the OP is looking for I'd use something else.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@IainMcT,

You have a base layer to wick moisture & keep your body dry
You have a mid layer for warmth
You have an outer shell to keep out the elements.

Change your midlayer to suit conditions. That is much easier than changing a jacket to suit conditons!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:
@IainMcT,
You have a mid layer for warmth

For resort skiing I'd go with this. Prefer to use Merino wool rather than fleece as it deals with the fluctuations in temp/heat build-up better. e.g. Merino wool T-shirt & longarmed top plus woolmix gillet under a shell.
Shells are easier to clean and re-proof than insulated jackets.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB,
Yup, Long Sleeve T + a zip up Fleece gives me 3 different options for warmth + depending if the fleece is zipped or not, gives another 2!

I also have a technical hoody that I can wear instead of the fleece (rarely over the fleece!) Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just ordered this. https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/galaxy-mens-ski-jacket-p16863.aspx/bright%20yellow/

Arrived 5 mins ago, and I'm very pleased with it. It easily outstrips the Tog24 one it is replacing. It's not as high tech as North Face, etc, but it will definitely do the job, and with layers, will be able to go down to very cold indeed. I also ordered the matching gloves https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/summit-extreme-mens-ski-gloves-p25931.aspx/yellow/ . The jury is out on those, but first impressions are they won't be as good as my Wedze ones for if it get's baltic https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/dreamscape-adult-m-ski-gloves/_/R-p-110447
ski holidays
Quote:

I've just ordered this. https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/galaxy-mens-ski-jacket-p16863.aspx/bright%20yellow/

Always a bit skeptical when the company don't put the waterproof rating. Also the laboratory tested to -40 thing is kind of misleading, good luck surviving in -40 in that jacket! Any reputable company is giving some facts about the type of insulation and some kind of fill rating. Not saying it's not a fine jacket for skiing, but would could never buy from that discroption alone which really doesn't provide any useful info.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Always a bit skeptical when the company don't put the waterproof rating. Also the laboratory tested to -40 thing is kind of misleading, good luck surviving in -40 in that jacket! Any reputable company is giving some facts about the type of insulation and some kind of fill rating. Not saying it's not a fine jacket for skiing, but would could never buy from that discroption alone which really doesn't provide any useful info.

I had the added benefit of trying the jacket on (but not buying) at the end of last season, so was able to check out the stats on the labels.

It's 10kmm. This will be absolutely fine for me because I will never ski in the rain (again) and won't be going below -20!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy