Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VW Sharan or Touran for 6 Adults

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at renting a car to fit 6 adults for a 3 day weekend and wondering if anyone owns a VW Sharan or Touran who could advise if 6 people and hand luggage (no skiis) can fit given we will be using one of the seats in the back row? Will there be sufficient in the third row for a medium height person or are these seats only suitabe for kids?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've a Touran owned long term, rearmost seats aren't bad (as you know they're not as big as Sharan) but serviceable for reasonable sized adult with full three point seat belts rather than lap.

They are more knees up compromise as floor isn't much lower than seat squab, probably dependant a bit on mileage as to whether its workable.

Note to check rear tire pressures for full complement of people as it's quite different when used like that. I can get to sit in it tomorrow if no other respondents as I'm about 6ft and give more current view. I'm usually driving it so not over familiar Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sharan
https://www.inchcape.co.uk/blog/head-to-head/vw-sharan-vs-touran/
"The Sharan’s extra space means it takes seven adults in greater comfort than the Touran, which could be very useful if you’re playing taxi to a handful of teenagers and all their gear."

Back seats suitable for medium size kids/tennagers, but they have knees that don't freeze/joints that don't ache

herrumph - Youth is wasted on youth....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ozboy, are you confident you'll get exactly the car you specify? Car hire firms usually state a model "or similar" and their idea of similar and yours might be different.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just pop into a local VW dealer and take a look, a rental would normally be a recent model. But you may not get the car you “book” when renting, it might be swapped for something similar.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, Thanks but no need to check. Will probably book the Sharan as its bigger and hope it works out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We used to have a Touran (current model) and I would have been able to sit in one of the rear seats for a short distance but I am not that tall. The main issue is that once you put the back seats up the boot is tiny. Therefore I think you will need the Sharan to take all the luggage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all - I have rented the Sharan and will let you know how we got on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Ozboy, are you confident you'll get exactly the car you specify? Car hire firms usually state a model "or similar" and their idea of similar and yours might be different.

Out our of the many cars we have hired now we have NEVER got the model suggested! Avis do offer a guaranteed model for a suitably increased fee but actual cars you can guarantee are very limited and from last time I looked didn’t include people carriers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, Why not simply go for a VW Caravelle? It'll cost about the same price and give much more comfort and space.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, couldn’t find one at the price as it jumps once you go beyond 7 seats. Also our garage is tight but doable.

@NickyJ, yes also happens to us almost every time. The SIPP code of FVMR shown on the booking should ensure we remain in the same category. Sharan is classed as full-size passenger van which is what we need. I’ve attached a link to SIPP codes which is handy when booking especially as car sizes can be deceiving :

https://car-hire-centre.co.uk/sipp-codes.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Out our of the many cars we have hired now we have NEVER got the model suggested! Avis do offer a guaranteed model for a suitably increased fee but actual cars you can guarantee are very limited and from last time I looked didn’t include people carriers.

booked vw passat, got a corolla. "Both sedans, similar", what else do you want, I was explained Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ozboy wrote:
Thanks all - I have rented the Sharan and will let you know how we got on.

Moot point but I'd have gone with a crew cab Vivaro or such ...... the middle front seat is a bit tight but tons of room, and relative comfort ...... and at least you'd know what your getting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can I suggest a transfer rather than hiring a car, especially if its just to and from airport and mountain. I booked a Turin Airport to Cervinia to Turin Airport transfer for 8 people for €430 return.

We priced hiring a Merc Van/Transit and it worked out to double this once you added insurance, chains, snow tyres and an extra driver.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@FrediKanoute, I booked the Sharan for just under £300 and it may come in handy if we choose to start skiing from another base station.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, my recollection of the (I think) original people carrier, the Espace, is that it didn't have a lot of luggage space when full of people...
latest report
@Ozboy, you'll struggle to get all the group plus skis/boots into the car if you want to ski from another base. I've always hired mini-buses (usually VW or Merc) for groups. Big advantage is that the skis can go in the boot and slide under the seats.
latest report
@Valkyrie, good point hadn’t though of that aspect - thansk. We have a main lift 5 mins walk away so not a biggie. Luckly don’t have skiis and boots to/from airport. I do have Thule bars and a ski rack suitable for the older style open roof rails if the car is equipped.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy