Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel - no accommodation near lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, thanks for reading this!

After skiing in Sainte Foy for about the last ten years, we're wondering about a change - and Chatel has been recommended. We're a family of 5, and we'd like to put our two boys (7+9) into half-day lessons. We're planning to travel mid-march to give my niece chance to join us from uni (missing school hols, but during uni hols).

Anyway, esf seem to only operate out of Pre-La-Joux in March. And there seems to be virtually no accommodation (or anything else) in Pre-La-Joux. We were hoping to avoid a longish bus trip and the aggro that brings (we've been spoilt with ski-in, ski-out in Ste Foy).

So does anyone know any self catering accomm in Pre-La-Joux. Or a ski school operating in Super-Chatel?

Or is the rush for the bus to get to morning lessons on time, not actually that bad and we should just get over it?!?

Thank you!

Will
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@willpearson, Welcome to SH.
There is no accom in PLJ - you wouldn't want to stay there anyhow, it's a big car park with 2 lift offices, a bar-restaurant, 1 ski shop, a few private barns / chalets, and the decheterie.
Conversely, it is a great place from where to ski: good bus links, easy parking, quick access to Plaine Dranse, Happy valley, Linga etc..
The ESF does operate in Super-Chatel too, but for "better" skiers / boarders they tend to go from PLJ rather then SC, as the SC plateau is more suited to beginners ( although there are beginner slopes at PLJ too.) Being far from accom means it does not get crazy-busy either
There's some accommodation in Linga which is 1/2 way between Chatel centre and PLJ.
If you are driving to Chatel, then unless you plan in sinking 1/2 a bottle of Brouilly with your lunch everyday, I would be inclined to take nice accom in Chatel / Lac de Vonnes, and drive to PLJ rather than take the bus.
Another thing to bare in mind is that ( depending upon the ability ) you can ski back to Chatel from PLJ, so you only need the bus in the AM.
Also if lessons are at 9:30 / 10, then with the lifts opening at 8:30, then you can get there from Lac De Vonnes without taking the bus.
You could always try BASS, Blue Chilli or ESI if ESF can't deliver what you require.
I normally manage about 45-50 PdS days a season, and of these I would break down the start points:

PLJ -25 days
La Chapelle - 7 days
St Jean - 6 days
Chery Nord - 5 days
Ardent - 4 days

This should tell you something given that PLJ is the one farthest from my house...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you get accomodation near Linga of which there is plenty, Chatel Sensations ski school is based there. I run a chalet in chatel and don't understand why more people don't ski to / from Linga (accept the home run may be tricky for beginners but it has those flat cut off bits now). Not that I mind as it keeps Linga quiet Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linga a good option especially on a warmer wet day. You jump in the gondola out of the rain and when you arrive at mid-station it has miraculously turned to snow!

@willpearson, honestly getting to PLJ for ski school is no issue, we did it for about 6 years during February half term.

Depending on when in March you are skiing the options at Super Chatel may be limited (as you are finding).

Vonnes to PLJ in an hour is quite do-able (three lifts, three pistes, one of which is very short) but you need to know where you are going, be a confident red run skier and not hang about.

Bus/car is the way to go
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@willpearson, probably best to stick with PLJ for lessons especially if you have a diverse group. It’s quite central on the map and gives good access to Avoriaz and Swiss via Linderets and has some excellent local ski runs and which should be quiet in March. Staying in Linga works providing some of your group can ski to PLJ is lessons start there - however you can get the bus to PLJ from Linga... takes 10 mins.

We have young children and find it’s easiest to drive and park at PLJ when they have morning lessons (not my preference but quicker with young kids). We sometimes get the bus for afternoon sessions from the village square.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is a short clip of Pre La Joux:
https://www.facebook.com/samreynolds26/videos/2398380837067134/
Nice vid, but observe the lack of hotels and apartment blocks Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy