Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres 4x4 France Law?

Poster: A snowHead
Can I attach a pic?

A mate has informed its law in France over the winter, is this true and if so what about on 4x4’s
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@roche1800, there's another thread on here somewhere. There you go . https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3280980
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3445836&highlight=winter+tyres#3445836
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will be winter equipment rather than tyres, so snow chains are acceptable. What tyres are on the 4x4? Our X-trail ones wouldn't be suitable, but we've got a set of winter ones we change over.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roche1800 wrote:
Can I attach a pic?

A mate has informed its law in France over the winter, is this true and if so what about on 4x4’s

There is no change in the law. You don't need winter tires or chains unless road signs indicate otherwise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We went to Alpe D’Huez last year. My understanding is that they have changed the law and snow chains or winter tyres are a requirement in ski resorts in France now. Avis had a page on their site stating that if local law requires winter tyres or snow chains they would be automatically included in the rental. Several emails and phone calls to Avis confirmed this (after I emailed their CEO) and eventually they gave us complimentary winter tyres. They removed the page though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IainMcT wrote:
We went to Alpe D’Huez last year. My understanding is that they have changed the law and snow chains or winter tyres are a requirement in ski resorts in France now. Avis had a page on their site stating that if local law requires winter tyres or snow chains they would be automatically included in the rental. Several emails and phone calls to Avis confirmed this (after I emailed their CEO) and eventually they gave us complimentary snow chains although we did have winter tyres too. They removed the page though.
We were told that police were checking people arriving at resorts and turning them away if they didn’t have chains.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In some ways, it's not an issue of legality (although it may be a legal requirement), rather, one of practicality and safety.

However unlikely it may be, you may be forced to fit chains on your car by the police. You may also simply need to, because of the conditions. This does happen, every year, somewhere, at some time. It doesn't have to be a Snowmaggedon scenario - it can be as prosaic as a steep, ice-covered drive out of your apartment parking.

A lot of UK spec' 4x4s, AWDs, SUVs and performance(ish) cars come with wheels and tyres that can't take conventional chains. This is because there's not enough space between the inside of the tyre and the suspension/steering/brake pipes for a chain - especially a slightly loose one - to rotate. We once had a UK Spec' Jeep Grand Cherokee and were astonished to discover that it fell into this category: the UK spec' had flashy, low-profile wheels and tyres that were too big to take chains. So, take look at what's fitted on your car, then consult your Owners Manual, and see if your wheel spec' can take chains - if unsure, ask your garage.

If the manufacturer says your spec' can't take chains, then you have a number of choices:

1. You can keep the wheels and tyres you have and get one of the (expensive) front-fitting snow chains, like the Spikes Spider Easy Alpine.
2. You can change the wheels and tyres for a size approved by your manufacturer, and carry 'conventional' chains.

If you opt for [2] it would be sensible to go for winter tyres as well. These will be useful in a wet British winter anyway (more resistant to aquaplaning) as well as better in snow. It may mean you never resort to chains. But you'll need to carry chains as well, in case.

And in terms of safety, if you take your car to the Alps, then for me, it swings the argument for getting winter tyres. Even if you never hit snow, you'll be safer in the lower temperatures. And the winter tyres will really come into their own when you hit the not unusual situation of alternating tarmac/snow/tarmac (e.g. https://imgur.com/gallery/U4Vslij )

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 6-10-19 13:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:

There is no change in the law.

Annoyingly, Very Irritating State of Affairs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
davidof wrote:

I agree. Maybe next winter?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:
davidof wrote:

Yes, but what will need to happen this winter to make the law change for next?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roche1800 wrote:
Can I attach a pic?

It should make no difference whether a 4x4 or 2wd, plenty of 4x4s have failed to stop or slid sideways off the road, it's not just about traction.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:
davidof wrote:

need to get the municipal elections out the way before enacting the law (which dates from 2016, so it is not something new).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:
davidof wrote:

need to get the municipal elections out the way before enacting the law (which dates from 2016, so it is not something new).

With protests just about to kick off over pension reforms, no one up for re-election is going to tell millions of French residents they also need to buy €400 of winter tyres.

Having watched a French BMW X5 slide all the way down the hill in front of us, 'pin balling' between parked coaches and the armco, there is no way I would drive there without them. Out 2WD Golf on winter tyres had no problems at all with traction.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roche1800 wrote:
A few years ago I was driving up to Les Arcs in a very bad (good?) snowstorm. The local police were controlling traffic in Bourg St Maurice (850m) for the main access road up the Tarentaise to Val d'Isere/Tignes, etc, and the road up to Les Arcs. There was a queue of traffic as most cars were being directed to fit chains, and those without chains were turned around. The car in front of me in the queue was an Audi 4x4, and that was directed by the police to fit chains; I was in a 4x4 with winter tyres (Kia Sportage) and was waved through. I have no idea what the law stated about winter equipment back then, but it seems to me that the reality of access roads to ski resorts has always been winter equipment is necessary, just because the police will stop you driving up the hill without appropriate equipment if conditions are bad.

I can certainly sympathise with local residents who want a law mandating winter tyres at all times during winter months, as this might help avoid some of the utter chaos we occasionally see when a busy transfer day coincides with a heavy snowstorm.

Probably worth dusting off this link:

http://youtube.com/v/mfuE00qdhLA
snow conditions
@bar shaker, as I understand it, it’s not about to mandate Parisiens getting snow tyres, it simply extends the zones where the gendarmes can mandate snow tyres or chains, so that when it snows heavily in Annemasse, you can be told to be properly tooled up, rather than as you turn onto the little road up to Avoriaz where the “aire de chainage” isn’t really big enough for all the stuck Parisiens.
snow conditions
I've driven to les arc 1800 for each of the last 5 years and only had to put snow chains on once on the way up, but always take them. The time they were needed, the police were stopping cars at the bottom of the hill and seemed to only be allowing cars with chains through.

Everyone fell into three groups - those with no chains who went to Bourg, those who hadnt tried to fit them before they had to, and then spent 45 mins at the side of the road in the dark, freezing cold, wind and snow trying to fit them reading instructions using the light on their phones, and those who worry about these things, who had them and could fit them, being able to go to the resort with very little delay.

At the time we were in an Audi A3 with minimum space to fit chains due to lack of rear clearance as in earleir posts, so we had ended up buying Thulle K23 that fitted like a dream in about 2 mins per wheel. We now have a Land Rover with winter tyres as well as chains just in case the police stop us as its not worth the risk of them being stubborn and stopping us going up the hill.

They do a fab job of clearing the roads but there will be times when it settles and it only takes a couple of cars to stop and be stranded, to block the road
snow report
There is no change in the regulation (it is a hoax).

You do not have to buy winter equipment. But depending on the conditions, if you do not have winter tyres the Gendarmerie may force you to put the snowchains at some specific places. That's it.
ski holidays
@proskilab, But if you don't have winter equipment, i.e. snow chains, socks or winter tyres and the police are mandating their use to continue on your journey, you are basically screwed.
snow report
@ipken, proper M3SF tyres?

@proskilab, not a hoax, as such, but a misunderstanding following some over enthusiastic media reporting.

As I understand it,

1. Nothing has changed for car drivers.

2. What law has passed - but not implemented - I think means that the gendarmes can mandate that you have adequate equipments anywhere in a massively bigger area than before and they can mandate fitting of that equipment in that area.

3. A bit like Aoste (IT), technically you must have winter tyres or carry snow chains on the Autostrada 15.10 - 15.4.

It was rather amusing a few years ago round xmas watching a long queue being pulled over by the Pols on the Italian side and being told to go back to France to get chains.

It must be said that without adequate equipment the Italian side would have been lethal.
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
@proskilab, But if you don't have winter equipment, i.e. snow chains, socks or winter tyres and the police are mandating their use to continue on your journey, you are basically screwed.

Yes, until the road is cleaned up.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

@proskilab, not a hoax, as such, but a misunderstanding following some over enthusiastic media reporting.

As I understand it,

1. Nothing has changed for car drivers.

2. What law has passed - but not implemented - I think means that the gendarmes can mandate that you have adequate equipments anywhere in a massively bigger area than before and they can mandate fitting of that equipment in that area.

3. A bit like Aoste (IT), technically you must have winter tyres or carry snow chains on the Autostrada 15.10 - 15.4.

It was rather amusing a few years ago round xmas watching a long queue being pulled over by the Pols on the Italian side and being told to go back to France to get chains.

It must be said that without adequate equipment the Italian side would have been lethal.

1. Yes
2. The implementation "decret d'application" has not been published. Frankly I am not sure it will ever be after the "Gilet Jaunes" demonstrations, as winter tyres/snowcains are quite a budget and are most often useless if you don't live in altitude. So nothing has changed. The "prefet" (local authorities) always had the power to require snow equipment for some areas in exceptional circumstances.
3. You do not need any equipment on the highway

Very Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
roche1800 wrote:
A few years ago I was driving up to Les Arcs in a very bad (good?) snowstorm. The local police were controlling traffic in Bourg St Maurice (850m) for the main access road up the Tarentaise to Val d'Isere/Tignes, etc, and the road up to Les Arcs. There was a queue of traffic as most cars were being directed to fit chains, and those without chains were turned around. The car in front of me in the queue was an Audi 4x4, and that was directed by the police to fit chains; I was in a 4x4 with winter tyres (Kia Sportage) and was waved through. I have no idea what the law stated about winter equipment back then, but it seems to me that the reality of access roads to ski resorts has always been winter equipment is necessary, just because the police will stop you driving up the hill without appropriate equipment if conditions are bad.

I can certainly sympathise with local residents who want a law mandating winter tyres at all times during winter months, as this might help avoid some of the utter chaos we occasionally see when a busy transfer day coincides with a heavy snowstorm.

Probably worth dusting off this link:

http://youtube.com/v/mfuE00qdhLA

Great video. It confirms my own experience with an Allroad quattro and the test of several tyres. The 4x4 will only double locomotion. If you have summer tyres, it will double not much. So using a 4x4 is not enough to get through. You need to have winter tyres (or all-season tyres that are labeled 3PMSF) as a prerequisite. 4x4 will show a significant difference only if you have them.

I now use crossclimate+ "all season" tyres. There are not as good as winter tyres especially in terms of lateral grip, but good enough to climb anywhere in the winter, with a 4x4.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 12-10-19 20:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Similar experience to @rob@rar. Had a nifty Pajero EVO for a few years and on winter tyres that thing could do anything, we towed a Mercedes Sprinter van that got stuck once ( loved that thing, it was so nutty and ran on LPG as well!). Since the arrivals of the little ones we have gone soft though and the R Class Mercedes on summer tyres was pants (had the embarrassment of sliding round a corner in front of the ski bus once - can only imagine the comments when they saw the UK plates) and as others have said been stopped at the bottom of our hill and ordered to put chains on. BMW X5 now has winter tyres that are due to be swapped on in a couple of weeks. I like having them on for the drive in winter as you never know when you run into lots of water or snow on the autoroute. But we also carry chains and have had cause to use them, after a particularly snowy night followed by a very early start, but they came off once we dropped down a bit.
snow conditions
@proskilab, my bad, I should have said,

3. A bit like Aoste (IT), where technically you must have winter tyres or carry snow chains on the Autostrada 15.10 - 15.4.

But, on reflection, even that doesn't make actual sense, as all the rule was going to do was give stronger and wider powers to mandate snow equipment.

I don't care, having lived in CH for 13 years, I switch as though I was Swiss.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

I don't care, having lived in CH for 13 years, I switch as though I was Swiss.

Me neither. 20+ years of driving out, commit 40 minutes to swapping the wheels/tyres twice a year. Usually manage to get one swap to coincide with the annual service so don’t even need to jack it up myself.
snow report
@DJL, in Switzerland our extremely nice Nissan dealer would give the car a winterisation checkup as the winters were fitted. Which I will ask our nice Chamonix independents to do as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy