Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(Japan) Rusutsu vs Hakuba? Week after New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have tentative approval from work to take the first 10 day of 2020 off. Looking at between Rusutsu and Hakuba ("free" lift pass as I already have Vail Epic pass).

I will already be somewhere in Asia during Christmas. It's just a regional flight to get to either Tokyo or Sapporo.

1) Is it too early in the season for Hakuba? Really hoping it's not (too early to have decent snow). I understand it's relatively easy to get to from Tokyo by bullet train. (I've been to Nagano before, but not skied there).

2) Didn't find much information on Rusutsu. What's the skiing like? (been to Niseko, Kiroro & Furano 3 year back, how does Rusutsu compare?)

Naturally, would be hoping to score some legendary JaPow as the main objective. "Avi-safe off-piste" a fair game (e.g. trees), if permitted.

If both are worth visiting in their own right at THAT TIME OF YEAR, I could conceivably do both, sacrificing a day to travel from one to the other.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@abc, My son emailed this to me today, might be of help https://www.inthesnow.com/the-truth-about-skiing-in-japan-all-you-need-to-know/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @larry1950, there's some useful information there. But it's really an advert for a package tour, which I'm not interested. (I've been to Japan several times, over summer and winter. So the typical package of some city days on top of skiing is wasted on me)

I'm more looking for specific information on either Rusutsu or Hakuba. My first order of business is to decide whether to do both or just one (and which one).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If conditions are comparable, then Hakuba offers far more than Rusutsu.

And if conditions in Nagano and Niigata are on point, then I would look at Myoko or Arai instead of flying to Hokkaido.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Mike Pow, is it likely that Hakuba will be “on point” in early January (on a typical “normal” season)?

About as likely as Hokkaido, more or less?

I’m definitely more inclined to go to Hakuba, as I’m somewhat familiar with that part of Japan from past travel (not in winter though). Just want to get an idea if early January is ok for that region.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 5-10-19 10:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
Thanks @Mike Pow, is it likely that Hakuba will be “on point” in early January (on a typical “normal” season)?

About as likely as Hokkaido, more or less?

I’m definitely more inclined to go to Hakuba, as I’m somewhat familiar with that part of Japan from past travel (not in winter though). Just want to get an idea if early January is ok for that region.

Would have to be a very poor and VERY LATE start not to have great conditions
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of the many Hakuba mountains, which would you find the most interesting?

(will ski anything on or off-piste, as long as it’s allowed, officially or tacitly. Will hike a bit in ski boots if necessary, but no long treks/climbs or touring)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy