Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin tip that can carve?

Poster: A snowHead
I currently ski on Line Sir Francis Bacons and they’re awesome! Amazing off piste and still great fun on piste. But I’m looking for a pair of skis for when I’m with friends who prefer staying on groomers. I skied on a pair of GS skis for a couple of days last season and had a great time carving around the resort. The SFBs can hold an edge just fine but they’re a bit slow edge to edge.

I’m probably asking for a bit too much from a pair of skis but does anyone know of some twin tips which have anything near the agility and high speed stability of GS skis? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing will come close to a proper GS ski. Of twintips I've skied the Whitedot One was remarkably easy to get onto the edge. They dont make it any more but one of the narrower Altums would probably be a decent bet.

But if you're getting a second pair for pistes why not get something meant for the job?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be honest, I really enjoy skiing switch which is why I thought I’d pose the question. But yeah if I can’t find anything, I’ll happily get some directional GS/piste skis
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agility and high speed stability are, to a point, mutually exclusive, do you want to go fast in a relatively straight line or do you want to turn? Personally I like to go fast while turning a tight turn Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@areynolds10, It's not a twin-tip but have you considered the Blizzard Brahma 82?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://bustedwallet.com/kastle-xx90-james-ski-review/

I bought a pair of these NOS and they seem to do most of what you are after, I'm amazed at the range over which they work and feel like you could do anything on them.

Possibly there's some laying around unsold.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ooh those Kastles are nice! I’ve heard good things about that brand
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
areynolds10 wrote:
Ooh those Kastles are nice! I’ve heard good things about that brand

They've a really good build quality to them, seem to give very strong camber / underfoot edge performance and blend that with a true twintip design, such that it doesnt feel like a conflict but a sublime balance of qualities in one construction.

It seems that it's not a big demand segment in ski type, variations on a twin that is as most that weren't too flexible seem to have disappeared from market. That's my impression anyway.

Their nearest would be FX95HP I think, but not a true twin. Described as "dual rise tip and tail rocker" but have very good performance reputation. They do appear to be good at balancing both high speed grip and subtle / smooth characteristics.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@areynolds10, have you looked at faction Candide 2.0's?. Just got some for my youngest a couple of months ago. He's not had a ski trip on them yet and goes to freestyle every week and so far loves them. Reviews of them are excellent
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The thovex range is cool but the 2.0s are 102mm underfoot. That’s pretty big so will probably suffer from being sluggish edge to edge as well. I think I’m probably best ditching the switch skiing and getting some GS skis
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also have SFB's. Last season I played with a pair of the current Sick Day 104's. Good on piste, rapid edge to edge; but you can still jump off piste and into the trees at will.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@areynolds10, I also have some Line SFBs (and love them) and am pondering the same question after trying some Rossignol hero multi-turn for a day. I also tried some Rossignol hero short turn. I get nervous and tentative on my SFBs on the piste when it gets icy, but those Rossignol skis were actually fun!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe Sick Day 88s could be the answer. Has anyone tried these?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A a bit of a curve ball have you considered a really stiff pair of slalom skis, if you get some FIS ex race skis I doubt that many of us could push those beyond the speed that would result in them becoming unstable. I've got SL and GS skis and to be honest the GS's don't get taken out that much these days as the slaloms are just pure fun and tight turns.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarpa, I think that’s the thing. I have 185 GSs (that are apparently knacked) and 195s that are lovely but require some effort and 203 SGs... which are remarkably skiable...

But what I really want and will be hunting for are a pair of factory race dep 165 SLs...

Just for shts and giggles on piste days...
latest report
@under a new name, you must be able to find some at a ski club troc round your way. After all racers change skis after a couple of dozen laps...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-10-19 20:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Not a bad shout! Probably a good way to have fun with a slower ski group as well. I’m 5ft 9, what kind of sl ski would I be looking at?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
But what I really want and will be hunting for are a pair of factory race dep 165 SLs...

Or even some 155cm ones that would be designed for your weight.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Quote:

But what I really want and will be hunting for are a pair of factory race dep 165 SLs..

they come up on ebay a bit. I'm tempted too. Got to be the most fun on offer when the pistes are hard and the offpiste is uninviting
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, tend to be either excessively sharpened=> worn, and/or somewhat over-optimistic in pricing. Occasionally find a bargain, e.g. picked up an almost unused pair of factory RD matched GSs a few years ago.
ski holidays
It looks like Ski Clinic are stopping doing season rental of race skis so the returned ones that they are selling now will be the last batch.
snow report
What about the Sakana's? I know they're not twin tips but look great fun on the piste
ski holidays
@rjs, I felt I overpowered the OHs 155s. 165s much nicer.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@rjs, I felt I overpowered the OHs 155s. 165s much nicer.

Add some lessons on how to use them new style then.
snow report
@rjs, I am perfectly fine “new” style thank you wink
snow report
@areynolds10, ...to answer your question very directly, we have experience of the following as twins that can carve:

Salomon Suspect
Salomon Mai Tai
Kastle twintips of almost any description
Many Volkl twintips particularly Gotamas
latest report
@areynolds10, there's some ex-demo Whitedot One's for sale here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148894
ski holidays
@under a new name, I picked up a pair of Nordica Dobermanns that were a sponsored spare ski for a racer, they were hardly used. Amazing fun and by god do those babys hold an edge. Still fine to ski all day on them too, they are not too knackering but can catch you out if you get the balance and loading wrong Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
@areynolds10, have you looked at faction Candide 2.0's?. Just got some for my youngest a couple of months ago. He's not had a ski trip on them yet and goes to freestyle every week and so far loves them. Reviews of them are excellent

Questions over build quality. Confused
ski holidays
@Scarpa, yep.

I can only compare Dobermann SL-Rs to Stockli SLs (also FIS) and Dobermann SGs (203) to my Volkl SGs (203) and my perception is that in both cases the Nordicas were just that wee bit more serious about going fast...

A few years ago the French ski race magazinr included the Dobie GS-R in its GS race test, ...

... one word review, “Suicidal”.

I’d love to find a pair.
ski holidays
Has anyone tried the Whitedot Ones? They look pretty awesome
snow conditions
@under a new name, I am looking after some Atomic SG skis for an ex racer. I think they are 210s, I'm hesitant to actually try them as with a 45m radius and feeling as stiff as a piece of steel beam I think that I would do myself an injury. If I actually managed to load them I do believe that the resulting kick would look something like a fighter jet taking off from an aircraft carrier Laughing

He gave me a pair of his old Elan GS skis and they are fast enough Shocked
snow report
@Scarpa, There is a POV video of Adrien Théaux training Super-G here.
ski holidays
@rjs, WOW.. Highly impressive.
snow conditions
@Scarpa,
Quote:

Atomic SG skis for an ex racer. I think they are 210s, I'm hesitant to actually try them as with a 45m radius and feeling as stiff as a piece of steel beam

Only really suitable for closed pistes?
snow report
Defo.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy