Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's Official: Hard, Snowy Winter to Come (Updated for 2020/21)

Poster: A snowHead
I would really caution about any snow forecast in the UK 10 days ahead... that's much too far in advance to have confidence in anything that specific.

@Bigtipper, what was the source for the December 12th forecast, and if it's a random website (as opposed to weather models), where do they in turn get their information from?

From where I'm looking (GFS), there is some agreement on a reasonably cold spell - i.e. not very, very cold - next week, but no particular signal for snow on a particular day (which isn't surprising given the timescale). The operational run does go very cold around the 12th, but it's an outlier and all the other runs are warmer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/ben_ledi

@denfinella, mathematically long term weather forecasting is unreliable and not precise. However that is precisely what climate change forecasters are doing. They predict trends based on past history, and modelling the future. The massive increase in computing power makes weather forecasting better, but it can make mistakes

I watch this website, and whilst the long term forecast is less reliable, it is usually in the right ballpark.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trends, yes, but it was really the coupling of a specific date quite far in the future with specific weather which I was cautioning against. Climate change forecasters can predict a warming trend, but they can't say whether June 1st, 2022 will be cool or warm.

I'd also suggest that a max temperature of -1C on 12th December at the top of Ben Ledi isn't "very, very cold" - I would hazard a guess that it's about average for the time of year? Then there was the "significant snow" comment (not by you), which I do think is much too early to predict.

The trend does indeed seem to be for lower temperatures from this week to next. But that's just as much because of the mild start (i.e. even just the seasonal average next week would be colder than midweek this week), and I don't see "very, very cold" anywhere yet. I'm also not sure what model the site you linked uses. If, for example, it's derived from the GFS operational run, it will be forecasting temperatures which are lower than all the other GFS runs.

Having said all that... let it snow, and I hope you are correct! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You must have been looking at the wrong day @denfinella, the maximum on 12th December is -6C and the minimum is -10C. Heavy snow is expected on 11th December on Ben Ledi.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bigtipper, it's changed now! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, O ye of little faith! That indisputable oracle of all things weather related the Daily Express wink is warning of "Britain COVERED by 17 INCHES in election blizzard" Laughing

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1212457/uk-snow-forecast-charts-maps-weather-latest-met-office-weather-warnings-general-election
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well then. That's me told! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bigtipper wrote:
Bigtipper wrote:
Since the OP, the October actuals are in. The UK has experienced on average 0.5 degrees centigrade below the 1981-2010 average mean temperature. Not particularly significant in itself, although much of that was at the end of October when it went sub zero.

November actuals look like they will be closer to 1 to 2 degrees below the 1981-2010 average, given the 15 day sub zero forecast for the first half of November.

However, more significantly Scottish averages look lower than the UK averages compared to 1981-2010 average. (down 0.8 C for October and looking like it is going to be very cold 2 weeks in Scottish ski resorts, certainly cold enough for outside snow making rather than using the fridges)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-temperature-rainfall-and-sunshine-anomaly-graphs

Mean temperature for November -1.4 degrees C below 1981-2010 average in Scotland. Unfortunately, precipitation was 62% of 1981-2010 average for Scotland. Meaning it was very cold in November, but not a lot of natural snowfall. However, conditions have been better than normal for snowmaking both in a fridge and outside snow making. Therefore the beginner pistes will be nearly there.

It's forecast to get very very cold by December 12th!! BRRR

Mean temperature for December 1.3 degrees C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. Plenty of precipitation, but sadly not enough as snow in December.

I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mean temperature for January 2020 2.1 degrees C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. Plenty of precipitation, but not as snow in January due to the above average temperatures. Sunshine was dreadful in January 2020 in Scotland. It can only get better, luckily the forecast is for snow and cold temperatures for the first half of February. Maybe, just maybe, but don't hope..... rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like it is going to be very busy weekend 29/2, 1/3. This is a leap year Saturday, with forecast clear skies, low wind, very cold, and lots of snow falling prior to this weekend.

You might need to camp in the car park overnight to get a parking space! Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mean temperature for February 2020 0.4 degrees C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 213% of the normal precipitation in Scotland compared to 1981-2010 average in February. It did fall as snow in ski resorts in Scotland, and the result is all resorts are open and more snow is forecast for the rest of March. The car park in Glencoe was almost completely full by lunchtime on 5/3/20. The snow pack is deep and should last most of March at least!

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mean temperature for March 2020 0.0 degrees above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 88% of precipitation compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 110% of sunshine duration compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. Pretty much an average March in 2020 in Scotland compared to those 30 years averages.

Would have been a great month for skiing, if the resorts were not closed because of CV.

https://waqi.info/#/c/6.344/2.988/2z

This website maps all the world pollution and displays it in real time. You can zoom in to countries, and specific areas and check out the pollution over the last year and how it has changed since lockdown. Fascinating!

The nearest testing station to me (20 miles away) is good for all recorded levels of air pollution. It is good pretty much all the time over the last year. The location is one of the busiest roundabouts in a 50 mile radius from me. It does not measure pollen levels though, which do get high in spring and summer time (not to mention midgies)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigtipper wrote:
Mean temperature for March 2020 0.0 degrees above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 88% of precipitation compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 110% of sunshine duration compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. Pretty much an average March in 2020 in Scotland compared to those 30 years averages.

Would have been a great month for skiing, if the resorts were not closed because of CV.

https://waqi.info/#/c/6.344/2.988/2z

This website maps all the world pollution and displays it in real time. You can zoom in to countries, and specific areas and check out the pollution over the last year and how it has changed since lockdown. Fascinating!

The nearest testing station to me (20 miles away) is good for all recorded levels of air pollution. It is good pretty much all the time over the last year. The location is one of the busiest roundabouts in a 50 mile radius from me. It does not measure pollen levels though, which do get high in spring and summer time (not to mention midgies)

Resorts went through until 22 March

Great skiing was had in March.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mean temperature for April 2020 0.9C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 31% of precipitation compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 151% of sunshine duration compared to 1981-2020 average in Scotland. An unusually dry sunny April in Scotland this year compared to those 30 years averages for April.

Could have been some sunbathing on this piste this April! Laughing

Instead, we have all been stuck at home watering the plants.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mean temperature for May 2020 0.8C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 90% of precipitation compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 119% of sunshine duration compared to 1981-2020 average in Scotland.

Another warmer, sunnier and drier month than normal in Scotland. However, the lack of rain in the UK is much worse than in Scotland. Less than half of the normal rainfall in April and May for the whole of UK. England and Wales are particularly dry in May at 17% of average.

This is the end of Spring now, and the start of summer. Whatever happens from here it looks like water will be in short supply in England and Wales this summer.
snow report
Apparently we have had more hours of sunshine this spring than we normally get in summer. The turnaround from the wet February to the very dry Spring is without precedent in uk weather history. A worrying sign. However if wet weather can get trapped for long periods and if sunny weather can get trapped then surely that doesn’t rule out cold weather Puzzled
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
Mean temperature for May 2020 0.8C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 90% of precipitation compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 119% of sunshine duration compared to 1981-2020 average in Scotland.

Another warmer, sunnier and drier month than normal in Scotland. However, the lack of rain in the UK is much worse than in Scotland. Less than half of the normal rainfall in April and May for the whole of UK. England and Wales are particularly dry in May at 17% of average.

This is the end of Spring now, and the start of summer. Whatever happens from here it looks like water will be in short supply in England and Wales this summer.

Thanks for jinxing us Sad

Best run of weather here in Wales I can remember.

Better than 1976 because it hasn't been uncomfortably hot.
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:

I assume these are countrywide, but I have to say that this seems way out of step where I am. We reckon there have only been two periods of "proper rain" since lockdown began, perhaps totalling 3 or 4 days including the times where there is of a bit of overnight rain where the ground is wet then dries in an hour or so.

I have never (been in this house 16 years) had to water the grass daily as I have the last month or so.

Cycled out to Harperrigg reservoir on the Lanark Road yesterday (source of the Water of Leith) and it is very low.

On the general point, I am so glad i managed a couple of days at Glenshee before everything went south a few months ago......................
snow report
ETA - Looks like I was right about the regional differences even within Scotland

snow report
@GreenDay, If the reservoirs are low, maybe give watering the grass a rest Very Happy It recovers well.
latest report
I am in the part where it is white. For the most part it was dry, however a great deal of rain fell over a few days and the river level shot up from almost a trickle to a level at which canoists would come down were it not for lockdown. Then the river has dried up again, so that it is at normal summer levels.

It looks like the West of Scotland has had a very dry time too. However, when some rain came to the west it came in large quantities.
snow report
Good friend works / lives on one of the estates just south of Aviemore... they go by the rule of thumb that each mile E / W changes the annual rainfall total by 1"!!! So current observations seem to fit with what the locals say...
snow conditions
Mean temperature for June 2020 1.2C above 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 139% of precipitation compared to 1981-2010 average in Scotland. 91% of sunshine duration compared to 1981-2020 average in Scotland.

Another warmer month than normal in Scotland. However, the lack of rainfall has been remedied in June. Consequently, the sunshine averages are slightly lower than normal.

Vines are loving this weather, but the wind has dropped a few apples in the June drop period. (in Scotland)
ski holidays
July in Scotland was cooler than average, wetter than average, and more cloudy than average July's in Scotland. However, the start of August has been quite warm, and may be better than August in the most recent years. Apples look ready already, and I usually do not pick them until September. Veraison started earlier than last year on the inside grapes. Last year veraison on the outside grapes did not even start until the beginning of September, so this looks the same as last year but the warmer August looks promising.
snow report
Going to be a very snowy winter in the Brecon Beacons National Park

You heard it here first Smile
ski holidays
August in Scotland was pretty much average for Augusts between 1981-2010 for rainfall and sunshine. Mean temperature was ever so slightly higher (+0.5c) than August averages in Scotland.

This is good, apples are very red, but might bulk out a bit more and sweeten. Perhaps another week. Outside grapes are starting to show signs of getting bigger, and veraision (for the red grape variety). Looks like grapes are on the same timescale as last year.

No sign of the hard snowy winter to come yet!
snow conditions
September in Scotland was fairly average for Septembers between 1981-2010 for mean temperature, average rainfall and sunshine.

I was hoping for a warmer sunnier start to October, but it looks like it is going to be a cold start to October. Veraision is continuing for the grapes on the outside. I am not very confident that the grapes are going to do well on the outside this year.

However, this is not too much of a problem as the inside grapes yielded the same as the total yield last year and so whatever the outside grapes produce will be a bonus.
ski holidays
It would be absolutely fantastic if we had a great winter season in the whole of the UK. Only a 6 hour return trip for me to Yad Moss.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Only a 6 hour return trip for me to Yad Moss
From Ukraine? Shocked
snow report
@Mike Pow, just stumbled across one of your old posts - was the second link when googling for brecon beacon ski - some great photos:) - https://properadventure.co.uk/blogs/news/if-its-snowing-im-going-skiing-in-the-brecon-beacons-national-park-wales
snow conditions
extremerob wrote:
@Mike Pow, just stumbled across one of your old posts - was the second link when googling for brecon beacon ski - some great photos:) - https://properadventure.co.uk/blogs/news/if-its-snowing-im-going-skiing-in-the-brecon-beacons-national-park-wales

Thanks very much. Was very happy with how that turned out.

Some great memories over the past 15 years.

Hoping for some cracking days this season.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Only a 6 hour return trip for me to Yad Moss
From Ukraine? Shocked

Peak District - got no idea how it got set to the Ukraine
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
"Professor mark Saunders told the Sunday Times that there is a 57 per cent chance that 2020's winter will be colder than in 2018."

Absolutely nailed on certainty then Laughing

67% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
snow report
I'd be interested to see historic data on 'blown out days' in Scotland.
I know it's always been windy but the Uk seems to be getting increasingly more storms.
snow report
Hoping for a great winter up here as looking increasingly unlikely for the Alps...........wonder if the poorer uplift infra will be a blessing as pomas are easy to socially distance !!
latest report
@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:

seems

Data would be better than filtered perception wink

In stratified sampling in the late 70s thru mid 80s, skiing Scotland every 2nd weekend or so ... I recall one sunny day ...
snow report
@under a new name, used to go to Shee pretty much every week with school early to mid 80s.........lots of character was built
ski holidays
Don't really think there is much here to support overall the UK becoming windier - though maybe one needs to look further back.

Quarterly wind speed average in the United Kingdom (UK) from 2010 to 2019(in knots)

ski holidays
The alps seem to be getting windier. There seem to be more days lost each year to high wind events, particularly in the western alps and noticeably more snow fencing is getting built. That would fit with more energy in the atmosphere from a warmer planet and deeper areas of Atlantic low pressure.
snow report
October in Scotland was again average for mean temperatures for Octobers compared to 1981-2010 averages. Unfortunately there was more rain and less sunshine than average, which meant no late ripening of what was left of the grapes on the outside after the birds ate the best ones.

The forecast over the next 10 days indicates it is going to get cold, and that there may be some snow coming by the end of November on the local hill at least. The local hill will be in level 4 (coronovirus restrictions until December 11th at least), so fine for me to get some exercise on it but not for any long distance travelers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy