Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel -v- Ferry Half Term Friday

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some collective wisdom.

We are sadly condemned to February half term skiing and for the last few years have booked a 2300hrs - midnight Eurotunnel on the Friday before half term.

The last few years have been awful with delays of 2-4 hours at the Eurotunnel terminal (despite trying all ways to sneak past the guy in the high vis vest who checks your letters). The delay in the UK kind of negates the point of taking the tunnel over the ferry.

The ferry is cheaper and arguably more relaxing but clearly takes a bit longer

Just wondered from anyone whose taken a Ferry from Dover to Calais at this time whether there have been significant delays, any info welcome.

Obviously we have no idea what will happen with Br*xit!!

Thanks

Jon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Obviously we have no idea what will happen with Br*xit!!

None of us have so really cannot answer your question. However I have used the Eurotunnel a lot and the delays you mention are not unusual at any time of the year especially for those between say 22:00 and 07:00. Mid day crossings seem less affected. Even the ferries have delays at times. My view is always to allow a very long time to get across the channel.

I suppose if Boris the buffoon gets his way just getting to the channel will be a nightmare.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about Flexiplus, does that avoid all the delays in Feb? Other times that I've used it, it's been fantastic.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We typically cross at 0630 on the Friday, and have never had more than about 10 minutes delay over the last 6 years. Delays can build up through the day, meaning later crossings are more likely to be impacted, especially when they are running at full capacity so there is no slack in the system.

Ferries at that time of year are not running flat out, but weather can play a significant role, including in allowing you to see your breakfast twice. Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowdave wrote:
What about Flexiplus, does that avoid all the delays in Feb? Other times that I've used it, it's been fantastic.

We've used Flexibus on the outward journey, I'd estimate it saves about an hour on that Friday evening (we normal cross around 9pm).
We haven't bothered on the return as it's less time critical (Midday crossing on the Sunday)

We're flying on the Saturday at xmas for the first time in years, because of the possible problems in Kent if Brexit chaos ensues.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 3-10-19 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flexiplus is clearly an option but it's more than twice the price of a normal ticket, you could argue it's worth it I suppose. Eurotunnel really doesn't seem to be able to cope with the volume of traffic on that Friday, I heard a theory that it was because more of us are driving higher cars with roof boxes on which they don't have the capacity for in the higher trains. Clearly the ferries are more prone to the weather. I was just wondering if, without any interference from the weather, the ferries cope better with the half term crowds.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When we took the ferry, we latterly ended up always going for the Executive Suite option (or whatever it's called). Free refreshments and sandwiches. Better décor, seating and toilet facilities and usually located to minimise the ship's movements in bad weather. But this was a while ago now, so I'm not sure what the options are now? In summer, it was 50:50 whether we went boat or tunnel but in winter, following a series of bad weather crossings, we always opted for Tunnel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jonathancarty, our family challenge when we use flexiplus is to eat enough to offset the higher ticket price. The food is excellent and I can eat a lot of macaroons Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, Two insulated mugs, each one with 2 x coffees with an extra shot in each serving. Then 2 x coffees in our non-insulated mugs. Enough croissants, macaroons, sandwiches and yoghurts for 500 miles.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go early Friday morning to get ahead of the crowds. Get right down to alps, we stop at chambery overnight.... up and away next day and get an extra day skiing.

Going back is a bit of a bun fight but it’s a busy time so expected. Flexiplus helps but £££ and Tesco vouchers can’t be used...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Go early Friday morning to get ahead of the crowds

Tragically we have 4 kids at school, we have already been fined once for taking them out (do NOT get me started on that!). Don't mind the overnight drive on the French side, it's the hanging around in Folkestone which really irritates me Very Happy Very Happy

Weirdly coming home is easy, ski all day Saturday, drive up to Caen overnight and have a lovely relaxing ferry to Portsmouth on Sunday morning, posh cooked breakfast in the Brittany Ferries restaurant and a nice kip in our complimentary cabin.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jonathancarty wrote:
Tragically we have 4 kids at school, we have already been fined once for taking them out

Self-inflicted, so sympathy is limited wink

We have 2, and neither school has a problem with taking one day off when they have a 99% attendance record, and the secondary school even approved the absence as educational Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonathancarty wrote:
We are sadly condemned to February half term skiing and for the last few years have booked a 2300hrs - midnight Eurotunnel on the Friday before half term.

I guess there are reasons but I'll mention it anyway, can't you ski Christmas week or when the schools break up in late March/early April.

Those are the weeks we ski.

Yes, it's more risky snow wise but conditions are still often very good and there are upsides such as the one mention you above.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep did Christmas a few years ago in La Tania, was lovely but the snow was iffy and I don't think the extended family every really forgave us. Easter is normally camping in Cornwall, Feb half term works for us, not sure what else we'd do if we didn't go skiing!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jonathancarty, I am a Eurotunnel user, and rarely use the ferry as we take our dogs, as I am not comfortable with leaving them in the car on the car deck unattended. However, in your situation, I may just be thinking about taking the ferry.
latest report
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Go early Friday morning to get ahead of the crowds

Tragically we have 4 kids at school, we have already been fined once for taking them out (do NOT get me started on that!). Don't mind the overnight drive on the French side, it's the hanging around in Folkestone which really irritates me Very Happy Very Happy

How much do the fines amount to and are they cheaper than upgrading to Flexipass?
snow report
@jonathancarty, My kids are in their mid to late teens and we have skied once or twice a year since they were toddlers never going at half term. My first suggestion would be don't go at half term. Try Christmas or first week of Easter hols instead as cheaper/less crowded and snow can still be good if you pick your resort carefully.

if you are wanting to stick with half term why not go both ways on Brittany Ferries? you could take their overnight crossing on the way out.

We book through Peak Retreats to get the flexi plus Eurotunnel or discounted Brittany ferries crossings. (although I think their flexi plus deal works out better for Christmas/Easter than half term when they charge a supplement for it). I would recommend them.
ski holidays
Quote:

How much do the fines amount to and are they cheaper than upgrading to Flexipass?

Yep, I thought of that, but unfortunately you can only be fined once, repeat offenders go straight to court and unless you've got time and money on your hands to fight a big legal case against the council you're going to lose and get a criminal record.
snow conditions
2pm dentist appointment and an earlier Eurotunnel?
latest report
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Yep, I thought of that, but unfortunately you can only be fined once, repeat offenders go straight to court and unless you've got time and money on your hands to fight a big legal case against the council you're going to lose and get a criminal record.

For our local authority, you only get report of more than 10 absences (ie 5 days). So a single day is fine... however fully respect you not wanting to do that.

In terms of other methods of getting there have you looked at BA flight pass? This is how we are getting out at half term affordably
snow report
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Just book flexipass and be done with it if it's in your budget as incremental cost per person, in the context of the overall holiday expenditure, probably not much more.
snow report
Quote:

2pm dentist appointment and an earlier Eurotunnel?

Or we just take all 4 out of school and go on the lam in Europe for the rest of our lives. I'm sure Devon County Council would try and hunt us down but if Br*xit happens and there's no intelligence sharing we'd be OK. Failing that we could all go and live in the Ecuadorean embassy in Paris.
snow conditions
Quote:

For our local authority, you only get report of more than 10 absences (ie 5 days). So a single day is fine.

Likewise in South Northants - 1-day seems very harsh

I don't think there is a right answer, personally I'd avoid ferry at that time of year due to weather issues and associated sickness! Eurotunnel may have delays but will get you there

Maybe just go for flexi option
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy