Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mont Blanc Glacier :(

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49820542

Not new news per se, but just reading the scale of how much (& fast) it's receding is very sobering.. Was talking to my wife about it (after the post on the PSB regarding the Tignes glacier not opening for its autumn skiing), then realised with me jetsetting over there a couple times a year - I'm not helping either. Conflicted feelings... I've found a sport a thoroughly enjoy, yet in part, am contributing to factors which are affecting my ability to do it!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok - agreed that there's an increase in the melting of glaciers etc, but could this not be a case of the media just over blowing what is normal glacier evolution
This article shows that the Planpincieux had always had "a strong propensity to the activation of frequent ice falls in particular during the summer" ... , "as already occurred in the past, to the detachment and fall down of large portion of the frontal part of the glacier"
http://www.irpi.cnr.it/en/project/studio-e-monitoraggio-del-ghiacciaio-di-planpincieux-massiccio-del-monte-bianco-ao/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marksymoo wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49820542

Not new news per se, but just reading the scale of how much (& fast) it's receding is very sobering.. Was talking to my wife about it (after the post on the PSB regarding the Tignes glacier not opening for its autumn skiing), then realised with me jetsetting over there a couple times a year - I'm not helping either. Conflicted feelings... I've found a sport a thoroughly enjoy, yet in part, am contributing to factors which are affecting my ability to do it!

Going by train massively reduces your carbon footprint.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Compared with flying? Do you have figures?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah wrote:
Compared with flying? Do you have figures?

Take a look at this report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49349566
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flying has 6-7 times the carbon footprint of travelling by train

Take a look at www.skiflightfree.org - I can supply you with data for all resorts if you want (for comparison of train v plane v car)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When you think of the energy required to get an aircraft weighing 80 tons up to 30,000 feet in often strong headwinds compared to moving an (albeit heavy) train, across a flat low resistance surface.....logic suggests that the latter will need a lot less energy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whilst changing travel methods from plane to train may provide some easing of carbon footprint, unless the carbon reduction elephant in the room is addressed, it risks being nought more than being green washing or virtue signalling

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-china-coal/china-plans-226-gw-of-new-coal-power-projects-environmental-groups-idUSKBN1W40HS

https://coalexit.org/sites/default/files/download_public/GCEL%202019%20Media%20Briefing.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and once you get there on your eco train somewhere like Val d'Isere the lifts and snow canons use 16 GWH of electricity and the snow canons 750,000 m3 of water. That's not counting the diesel for piste bashers etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

and once you get there on your eco train somewhere like Val d'Isere the lifts and snow canons use 16 GWH of electricity and the snow canons 750,000 m3 of water. That's not counting the diesel for piste bashers etc.

Exactly. Resort skiing is not an eco-friendly activity. I'm getting tired of skiers (particularly pro skiers, who spend their time flying around the world, heliskiing, and promoting products that most people will buy to only wear/use a couple of times) telling me to reduce my carbon footprint. There's a lot of virtue signalling and hypocrisy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll give up taking flights when Harry and Megan do the same.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plant a tree.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
iainm wrote:
Flying has 6-7 times the carbon footprint of travelling by train

Take a look at www.skiflightfree.org - I can supply you with data for all resorts if you want (for comparison of train v plane v car)

Thank you. I tend to drive, in a new car with 4 passengers, so hopefully all good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy