Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blizzard bases

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve got a pair of new Blizzard bonafides, put straight edge on them the front and rear for the first250mm have a dish between edges, no more than 2 thousand of an inch (in old measure) in the centre, the remainder of the ski (under bindings) is nice and flat. Is it worth messing about trying to level them, the concave part has an effect on the edging tools.
I’m sure this sounds anal particularly as I’m not a champion skier but this is my first new skis and I’d like to start off with everything spot on.
Too late to return bought these off evo beginning of this year.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@enigma, both skis? Maybe they are supposed to be like that (can't imagine why)?

Sounds pretty tiny, but these things can have big effects.

Calling @Spyderjon ... expertise required Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old school racers used to say that a concave base was faster.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very slight concavity is not likely to have any ill effects. More of it will ruin your day. See the pics in: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/255457-Convex-bases . The guy from slidewright knows what he is on about.

My BC Atris had very slight concavity in the rockered sections. They ski fine. With the amount of concavity you have, I would be inclined to ski them first and then get a shop to grind them flat if they don't ski right. If they don't ski right, you will know about it. Trust me on this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's pretty common to have a tad of concavity in the rockered sections. 2 thou is boogerall compared to many skis and is well within the factory spec of 'flat'.

Go ski 'em!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mosha Marc, I can't see why it would be? Slightly convex maybe would be?

See? @spyderjon. All-knowing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
If they don't ski right, you will know about it. Trust me on this.
That's for sure. My Völkl RTMs got serviced by an idiot who managed to make the base concave. I only noticed when I took them out on an hard packed piste. Essentially he had made them un-skiable. Was constantly catching an edge and finding the whole experience really hard work. Anyway, took them to the guy who services the local race club (Starnberg) and after much raising of eyebrows and tutting he declared them fixable, and proceeded to fix them. Perfect ever since, well until I destroyed them skiing over sharks on the Zugspitze last April Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@enigma, My Bonafides were like that when I got them - skied brilliantly right from the off. Had a couple of base grinds so probably flat now, but I didn't notice any difference.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steilhang, don’t understand how any machine could physically do that.

A hanging burr however ... ugghhhh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, no idea, but he showed me the concave aspect with a rule over the base. Was clearly visible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Mosha Marc, I can't see why it would be? Slightly convex maybe would be?

See? @spyderjon. All-knowing.

They use that effect on some sections of boat hull, concave that is. It can, when used correctly, build pressure between the outer edges so that the concave section creates lift by riding on a raised pressure cushion of water with diminished friction for the whole structure.

Problem is with transition as you lean it away from level as it wants to go in really fast as it hooks the lowest edge into contact more. Guess race training could tailor the skier response to utilise that most effectively.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone K
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, hmmm. OK, that I can see as feasible... interesting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Steilhang, don’t understand how any machine could physically do that.

Easily... old stone, stone that's not flattened and grind cut before getting skis through etc. With those "mass productions" services (either factory or pretty much any ski service) I would be actually surprised if you would get perfectly flat base out. That's reason why I would never take my skis to any "ski service" for stone grinding.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@primoz, Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, old, poorly maintained machine.
ski holidays
@under a new name, quite likely. I gave the skis to a sports shop in Starnberg who just passed them on to some other place that does skis en masse. Never again.
snow report
If the operator were to put a ski through with a "chunky " sized cut on it, then the ski is likely to bend upward at the edges if they are tapered in construction toward the edge.

That and the metal edge could promote a deflection across the ski and grind more from the centre as the edges effectively moved away from the abrasion surface under loading.

If that happened, then ski would be finished with more ground from the centre than the edges, et voila variable levels of concavity? Along the ski length dependent on centralised stringers etc and how rigid they make the ski uniformity when under that type of duress.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy