Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure there must be places in the Ecrins. The nearest is the road past Venosc to La Bérarde, about 1800m. Lots of high peaks on all sides though.

Going deeper into the Ecrins over Col d'Ornon again there must be passes etc but I'm not that familiar with them. Col Noyer is quoted in places I've seen.

Quote:
Interesting is there are chance to get up by Jandri Express to the first stage and then spend a night of observation in the Lac Noir area. are telescopes allowed in the gondola?

Tbh I don't see why not. It's used for mountain bikes. I've known local photographers spend the night on the glacier producing some fantastic photos of the milky way. Contact them in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Email from lift pass office asking for my bank details as the card I used to pay has expired. It did in March. Getting there slowly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Talking to a couple of friends last night who are out here for a very quick trip, 2 days skiing. They said that conditions on the glacier are stunning and it's much quieter than a normal summer. They went up about 8.15 yesterday and there was no queue at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meanwhile down in the town it's hot and sunny, panorama from my balcony yesterday Very Happy

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks nice!
Thanks for the astronomy advice, good places to try.
Still waiting for France to lift 2 weeks quarantine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Read this in The Telegraph , it’s part of a longer article but I personally wouldn’t be happy with no restrictions in the gondolas and therefore would stay out of them.This may put a lot of people off.
“Once in the lift cabin people keep as much as a respectful distance as possible in the confined space but most lower their masks. There are only four of us in the lift so I lower my mask too – rightly or wrongly, I don’t feel worried. While earlier in the season the amount of people in 20-person cabins was limited to eight, numbers are no longer restricted.”
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are problems with the observance of the rules in L2A right now. The ski club kids simply cannot keep their masks on in the cabins, and often also in the queue. This is especially true of the Italian and Spanish kids. I have tried politely asking, which occasionally works. We also had one group resort to name calling and swearing about us in Italian, which turned out badly for them since one of our party is a native speaker!

We are here for two weeks and will test the whole family when we get home. For me it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Skiing is good though snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ Worth saying that I don't believe any children of <12 yrs old have the discipline to follow the rules at all times. There just happen to be more ITA and ESP skiers here now. If they want it to work, the resort needs to go after the coaches IMV and try pulling some passes pour encourager les autres...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't been up to ski yet. There are less kids ski camps than usual but still a considerable number. Always lots of Italian kids and they're well known for their arrogance and aggression, part and parcel of the training I think. Seen big groups of them running around town though and it's a similar picture.

Quote:
^ Worth saying that I don't believe any children of <12 yrs old have the discipline to follow the rules at all times. There just happen to be more ITA and ESP skiers here now. If they want it to work, the resort needs to go after the coaches IMV and try pulling some passes pour encourager les autres...

Pretty much spot on I think.

Thankfully you don't see them in the bars Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the gondola situation, Im planning the following, which should lower the risks
- use FFP2 respirator
- wear googles on
- make sure the windows are open for air circulation

Still dont see any updates on the gov site about France lifting 2 weeks quarantine Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ed48, I was surprised tbh but I looked and it's still there but "voluntary" which I think everyone is declining.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just talking to someone who works on the glacier. There are serious concerns about adherence to wearing masks and it could potentially lead to early closure.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
Just talking to someone who works on the glacier. There are serious concerns about adherence to wearing masks and it could potentially lead to early closure.

It is pretty universal. I came down with four ESF stagieres yesterday, all removed their masks in the cabin. After I asked, three of them guiltily replaced them, the fourth just pulled a thousand yard stare out the window...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me the point is that an individual cannot protect themselves. There are kids lifting their masks, picking bogies, then touching stuff. I also see a few people coughing, having the snots etc every day. I just dont believe that other people have the self discipline to not ski/get tested if they are ill.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JamesHJ wrote:
It is pretty universal. I came down with four ESF stagieres yesterday, all removed their masks in the cabin. After I asked, three of them guiltily replaced them, the fourth just pulled a thousand yard stare out the window...

I think I'd be complaining to the ESF. They should be setting an example. XAVIER SILLON is the Director. Really nice guy he took my daughter's etoile d'or class in 2007 Shocked
latest report
What can I say!!! Les Duex Alpes is amazing!!! so much so we stayed another 2 nights, the skiing was spot on with the park being the highlight for me, my wife has come on leaps and bounds with help of Marco @proski, this guy is amazing! without a doubt, he went above and beyond and made our trip what it was!

The glacier was great, yeah it softened up by midday but by that point who cares it shuts a 1, swimming in the lakes, riding our bike, via Ferrata, 2 rounds of golf, watching the L2A skateboard competition Saturday, we literally didn't stop.

The first 2 days were very quiet but by the end of last week it had lived up to the point that everything was normal, restaurants shops and bars open with non-stop smiles everywhere.

@Claude B, apologies I didn't buy you that beer! as you can see we didn't stop, BUT I will be back 1000% and next time I shall be sure to thank you for all of your pre-trip advice, you are what a snowheads should be!!! Thank you
snow report
@Noakes, No worries, glad you had a great time. I know Marco, yes he's a great guy. I was in Lyon for the weekend and when I drove down there was a lot of traffic heading for the mountains. Got back yesterday and its pretty busy here now. I had a job parking near mine. I suspect August will be very busy.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
@Noakes, No worries, glad you had a great time. I know Marco, yes he's a great guy. I was in Lyon for the weekend and when I drove down there was a lot of traffic heading for the mountains. Got back yesterday and its pretty busy here now. I had a job parking near mine. I suspect August will be very busy.

Decided finally to drive taking ferry tonight, exciting Smile
Is it ok to drop the car for a week at the car park at the beginning of the l2a? Is it free parking?
Beer from me for sure Smile
Ed
ski holidays
@ed48, where are you staying? It's fairly busy but not too. You'll almost certainly be able to find free parking nearby.
ski holidays
@ed48, didn’t have any issues parking even in the middle of town, you’re gonna have a great time & all the issue of the last few month will melt away once you’re there...
Have a great time...
latest report
While I was having a little wander around yesterday I noticed that CDC Performance, aka Chemmy and Dougie Crawford are running a ski camp on the glacier for a couple of weeks. Saw Chemmy outside the chalet, they're using a couple of nice ones. Some of the french team stayed there recently. Pretty busy at the bottom of the "pistes" with family activities, carts, luge, tennis, crazy golf, swimming pool, bump track, skate park, etc, etc.

Also finally received 140€ refund on my season pass.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
While I was having a little wander around yesterday I noticed that CDC Performance, aka Chemmy and Dougie Crawford are running a ski camp on the glacier for a couple of weeks. Saw Chemmy outside the chalet, they're using a couple of nice ones. Some of the french team stayed there recently. Pretty busy at the bottom of the "pistes" with family activities, carts, luge, tennis, crazy golf, swimming pool, bump track, skate park, etc, etc.

Also finally received 140€ refund on my season pass.

Have seen on her instagram that she's over there.

Looks great. I've never done any racing at all, but quite like the idea of tying together a summer holiday with some ski training. Need to get over to the alps one summer!
ski holidays
She didn't recognise me wink My daughter skied with her at Hemel on a snowHead do in 2010 Very Happy

snow conditions
Just got home after two weeks in L2A. I did one week of GS and one of SL with Podium. Highly, highly recommended. Skiing conditions were excellent, and there was plenty for the family too. Finished up with a parapente trip for me and the oldest daughter (7!)

Good food, good drinking and good people!
snow report
The resort is also gentrifying fairly rapidly. I'm almost tempted to go back in the winter season snowHead
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:

Oh, and even some well known UK skiing personalities had to be asked to put their masks on in the cabin lift... Not just the Italians!
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
Just got home after two weeks in L2A. I did one week of GS and one of SL with Podium. Highly, highly recommended. Skiing conditions were excellent, and there was plenty for the family too. Finished up with a parapente trip for me and the oldest daughter (7!)

Good food, good drinking and good people!

Is this coaching aimed at only racers? Or could a non racer that fancies going along to improve general skiing go along?
snow conditions
A typical group for Podium in mid-summer (and other similar operations) might include:

1- Some youngsters, say 12-20, who have racing experience. Often with a parent too!

2- Youngish folk, say 20-32 who are at various levels of BASI training, say level 2 onwards.

3- some old farts (I'm 39), who for various obscure reasons thought it was a good idea! For info, I started skiing around 28, and have no 'pro' background at all.

4- We were also very lucky to have two guide/skier pairs from the visually impaired racing scene this time. Extremely impressive skiing in gates!

I've always felt extremely welcome (especially when buying a round for the young thrusters!) and my skiing has improved beyond all recognition. I believe my first gates course was a 'racecarve' job with SnoWorks (also recommended). In general, the summer courses are the best to start with as they are very relaxed. Later on in the Autumn, it tends to get a bit more gungho, as the proportion of people close to e.g. Eurotest passes etc increases.

Note that these are definitely (IMV) coaching, not teaching courses, and use video review (which WILL be excruciating to see first time around!). Your areas to improve on will be identified, drills etc given, and it is up to the skier to make changes

Any more questions, feel free to PM. I'd also recommend just contacting e.g. Dave Morris at Podium, or Emma at SnoWorks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JamesHJ, I briefly met Dave Morris last week.

Getting pretty busy generally here now. The annual Vintage Car Show attracted a lot of exhibitors and the atmosphere on Saturday was pretty cool with a lot of live music going on.

Upcoming events include the French MTB Championship 14 -16 August.

ski holidays
Just returned from2 weeks stay in Les 2 Alpes, and must say that the perfect place for summer holiday, skiing on glacier, mtb in bike park, walks from the lifts and still huge possibility for proper wild mountain walks starting from Venosc! Will definitely return next year and still thinking of doing GR54 in September Smile

Thanks ClaudeB for your help and advice!

some photos here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/teG6QLK5uRBo6wTJ9

and some videos here Smile

http://youtube.com/v/Sih2wt-aTEw

http://youtube.com/v/l9uTUq0gZ7I

http://youtube.com/v/j0fGvmFX12g
ski holidays
@ed48, Great to meet you. Super shots, I know you fitted a lot of different stuff in during your time here. See you again some time.
snow conditions
Fête des Foins (hay festival) here this weekend. Guess it's similar to the harvest festival in UK. Obviously a commercial aspect but it's nice to see some traditions kept alive. Church service on the hill opposite mine this morning with traditional alpine clothes and alphorns.

snow report
Much busier here now with the french holidays kicking in. Still not that bad though. Has been very warm but a big storm last night bought some relief. VTT event this weekend may bring some folks in.

Lightning over La Muzelle last night
ski holidays
Just had a wander and people and kit are filling up the official areas for the mountain biking. A round of the Coupe de France Downhill MTB is taking place with practising and competitions taking place from tomorrow until Sunday. As well as all the top french riders (Loris Vergier, Amaury Pierron, Rémi Thirion, Thibaut Daprela, Myriam Nicole). Danny Hart (UK) and Greg Minaar (South Africa) are also taking part.

Roughly 500m of vertical descent it's forecast to take 4 minutes Shocked Although MTB isn't really my thing I'm always up for watching and photographing quality sport. I'll hike up to try to find a decent vantage point to take some shots.
snow conditions
Hiked up to reasonable vantage point and watched the elite riders training yesterday afternoon. Pretty well attended and more arriving for the later qualifying round. I decided to come down and wait for the finals this afternoon. Many of the world's top riders taking place, should be good. Danny Hart is starting 3rd from last with Greg Williamson, Gee Atherton, Danny Hatton and Joe Breedon grouped together 20 or so earlier. Fastest qualifier was Benoit Coulanges. Faster woman qualifier was the world champion Myriam Nicole then Swiss Camille Balanche. Wearing of masks is compulsory in the busy pit and finish areas.

ski holidays
Great afternoon watching this.

Benoit Coulanges mens winner

Myriam Nicole women's winner

Danny Hart although he wasn't placed. I think he'd crashed before and was coasting by then.

There were several big crash out after that jump Shocked
snow report
Biggest jump of the day

This guy crashed after this.
snow report
Big dump last weekend as in much of the alps. I was away and when I got back on Tuesday it had gone from town but there must still be a lot higher, can see plenty, it's still pretty cold.

We're due to open at Toussaint, first time for 3 years, from 17th October to 1st November for skiing and MTB. Still veiled with cautionary words but unless there is some covid related government decree it should happen. Passes are well priced at 35.90€ for skiing and 20€ for MTB. Pretty sure my season pass which I need to buy before 16th gives me access. I'll get a few days in around other things I need to do then snowHead snowHead

ski holidays
Great news! Lets see if situation with corona improves.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy