Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2019/20

Poster: A snowHead
French class and a rest yesterday. Lots of low cloud this morning and it's snowing lightly. I'll keep an eye on the weather and decide later I think.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tres Bien. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the snow update @claudeB glad there’s a bit of snow as I was getting concerned it would be an icy hell when we return .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Honeybadgerversion2, Diable and Valentine are. Both closed, friend who went up yesterday said they've ploughed up the tops to deter people trying. Rest has been ok tbh.

In fact looking out of my window now there's a little more light I can see that clearly. It did look very, very dangerous. Caused by Tuesday's wind scouring the snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude B Thanks for the updates. I'm arriving late tomorrow so hopefully the weather holds for our first day on the slopes on Sunday!

Can't wait, first time boarding for about 10 years!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn't ski yesterday but Saturdays are obligatory if the weather is fine. Lovely and sunny but cold, very quiet too. Snow is still holding up well, the 2" or so of snow yesterday improved things a little. I was misled yesterday, Valentine is open, came back down it, it was fine. Diable and Bellecombe blacks are the ones which have been ploughed to prevent skiers using them. Pierre Grosse still due to open Wednesday if they have finished the 300 hours of testing (info from an instructor friend). Due to snow next weekend. For anyone here this week Chalet Mounier have a firework display on Thursday, 7pm - 8 pm. It's always the most spectacular of the winter. My balcony gives me a grandstand view Very Happy

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty much the same but not quite as cold, still quiet. Diable and Bellecombes blacks both pisted and open again. I skied them both along with Valentine, Super Diable Black and one of the 2 Pierre Grosse blacks. View from the deckchairs by Chalet de la Fée. Best place to eat on the mountain especially a little later once the terrace gets more sun.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just seen an official announcement that the Pierre Grosse gondola will open on Saturday
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see Pierre Grosse isn’t shown as open today which was the predicted date. On the website it says provisionally opening on 18/1/20 so fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Honeybadgerversion2, yes there was an official communication that Saturday is opening day.

Bit more cloud today. Snow still fine. Snow due at weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@claude b ah didn’t see your post before mine re the announcement
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No skiing yesterday, weather, etc pretty much the same. Due to start snowing this morning, cloud already building, and continue all day and night. Hopefully the forecast is correct and it will stop about 7am followed by a bluebird powder day snowHead

Fantastic firework display at Chalet Mounier last night. Super view from my balcony, I took loads of photos.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They're such a tease Toofy Grin Just had an email, Pierre Grosse opening tomorrow, at 12 FFS. Wouldn't put it past them to drag the maire up to cut a ribbon or some such dangly bits Laughing Given how much snow is falling now I hope they station someone to stop some of the idiots piling onto Chalance completely unprepared after seeing it from the lift. Avi risk 3 tomorrow after a lengthy period at 2. Strong northerly wind forecast too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How’s it looking Claude? What did you get? I’m heading out today Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@noako, Looks like quite a decent amount. It stopped earlier than forecast, it wasn't snowing during the night, about 3,when I woke. Everything is white this morning though. Avi blasting up there atm too. Forecast was up to 25cm higher, looks about right. Ill go up in an hour or so, gonna be really, really cold, -12C with 40kmh/h northerly wind at 2600m (feels like -23C apparently) Shocked Warming slightly later.

Actually just seen a photo from the glacier, looks significantly more, up to 40/50cm perhaps snowHead
ski holidays

From my balcony
snow report
Thanks for the updates, a nice top up .
Hopefully it won’t be too busy for the next few weeks!
snow conditions
Nice, can’t complain with that. Thanks for the update!
latest report
Lovely day but cold. Went up about 10.30. I'm not really an off piste junkie but did some nice gentle stuff especially on Vallée Blanche which was quiet and relatively untracked. Went up to 3200m twice but didn't hang around long at -10°C plus a biting wind. First time on Jandri then on the new gondola about 2 hours after it opened. Very comfortable, quiet and smooth. Smells like a new car Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Nf0AU6Qm4iw
snow report
Really cold today but thankfully no wind to make it feel worse. If anything it was colder lower than on the glacier. Keeping the fresh snow in great condition though. Perhaps a little busier but still not enough to worry about.

ski holidays
Thanks for all the updates and great pictures @ClaudeB!

Is the base good enough that it will stay in reasonable condition for a while? I'm wondering about a trip in the first week of Feb (before the half-term hordes arrive) - a fortnight from now. If the pessimistic end of the forecasts plays out, and there isn't much new snow between now and then, do you think there'll still be decent skiing on piste?
snow conditions
@parigi, no problem, we had a lot of snow in December. Even though there was only 1 small sprinkling of snow between dumps on 27 Dec and 17 Jan the pistes were fine even with the hordes at New Year. More due over next weekend/early the next week I think.
latest report
Just come back from there and the snow elves work the magic overnight so you can ski next day, had a great week and the place looked even better with the fresh snow on the morning we left. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Great day today. Pistes were all great, and the cannons are running again as we speak so hopefully more of the same tomorrow please.

Claude, can I pick your brains again as the resident expert? Any recommendations for fondue? We’re at the Diable end of town.
snow report
@noako, lots of places do fondue. Look at Grain de Sel, check menu though not sure (near the Diable lift, tell Patrice Colin recommended him). If not Le Cellier (near Place de Venosc) do.
latest report
Haven't been up for a couple of days, not a lot of sun, clouds, cold. Getting too choosy. Forecast is better next 2 days, will make an effort. Then some snow due.
snow conditions
Pistes in general are staying great. Home runs less so, but still not too bad.

Thanks for recommendations Claude. The mothers got on with their instructor. Still need to book a fondue!
snow report
Made up for it today skiing long and hard. Veiled sun all day but not cold or windy. Snow still great. Not busy at all. Home runs, I avoid the blue if I can but I skied down Valentine twice which was in perfect condition and Vallons de Diable which was ok at 4.30.

Went on the Pierre Grosse lift 3 times. A great lift but it has made the piste leading to it far, far busier.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A short ski this afternoon, my legs were suffering. Similar to yesterday, perhaps more wind up top. Did Pierre Grosse 3. A first even though this is my 14th year here. It never used to be open. Very steep and mogulled black. Would have been nicer with some sun to see better Shocked Snow due tomorrow.
ski holidays
A very slight sprinkling of snow down here this morning. Lots of cloud about, forecast is for light snow for much of the day, perhaps 10cm up top, but will be wet stuff down here. Other jobs to do today.
ski holidays
@Claude B, I've read that there are discussions about keeping the Venosc lift open all year round. Have you heard anything?

Maybe certain hours of the day might work but is there really a demand for it.
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, I think there's a bit of a lobby from Venosc. I've a few friends down there with their fingers on the pulse. I'll ask.

Nice day forecast today. I love Saturdays snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Nice sunny day but very cold. Very busy for a Saturday. I think this next week could be quite busy. Odd days of snow forecast during the next week.

snow report
Wish I was there!
snow conditions
A few cms down here overnight, still snowing lightly, due to continue for much of the day. Looks very grey and unappealing up there to me.
snow conditions
Still snowing lightly. 4K video from the balcony snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/q-sOBkL6LIc
ski holidays
Went up for a few hours until 1.30, weather starting to come in now, snow from this evening, a fair storm for a couple of days. Not a bad day, busier this week. Lovely and quiet on Vallée Blanche, really nice snow too. First run down to Mont de Lans (photo), lowest point here at 1300m. Opened towards the end of last week apparently.

latest report
Reasonable amount of snow overnight. Still snowing lightly, due to be pretty much continuous for the next couple of days. No skiing for me, lots of admin to do, just completed the french census. Got a friend's 30th birthday party, après outside at 5 Shocked Little shot from my balcony.

ski holidays
@Claude B, Am I correct in saying SATA has been chosen to operate L2A for the next 30 years?
ski holidays
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy