Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does it matter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I decided to take the plunge and pick up another pair of skis in the sales, they were finally delivered this morning. Only thing is I've noticed they're not actually a "pair" insofar as the two skis have totally different serial numbers. Does it matter, apart from the inconvenience of keeping 2 serial numbers for insurance purposes? Or am I thinking too much again?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-08-06 6:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Head Fast Thang. Ordered from a large UK outlet, some delivery delays but good price - esp ex UK VAT Wink I don't suppose there's a heck of a lot I can do about it as it was just about the last pair in the length and they had to ring round their shops to find them and are now out of stock. If there are no technical/functional problems then I'll just put my brain back in its box Smile, but if they should really be a "pair" then I'll have to kick up a fuss. I imagine there's someone else somewhere with the other matching "pair"... I can only imagine it happening if they were stored out of the plastic. It is weird, innit?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not that weird, expecially if they were the last pair, one may have been on display somewhere and then it's easy to get them mixed up. Having worked on a few ski sale racks it can be easy, albeit careless to do, after all, they all look the same. Wink

Don't worry to much about it. Make a note of each serial number and then ski them to they die...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor, being as they maker most skis in threes then stamp on a serial number i can't see it being a problem enjoy them
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis are made indvlidually and then paired up as to match the flex pattern of each other. As no two pairs of skis are ever the same, you have, albiet the same sidecut and construction, two different skis. We had a pair like this tis winter, one delaminated, when sent back to the Factory, the warrenty was invalid. Be safe, be sure. Send them back. Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blimey, never thought of even checking this when buying skis, will check mine now, cheers smallzookeeper!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SZK - how do they match up the skis? Manually or some sort of flexing machine? Do foam core skis vary less? Just curious - I wouldn't have though the flex variation would matter too much to most recreational skiers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also wildly differing serial numbers would indicate a high probability that it was a different job batch.

Again - I've skied the same ski from different batches with wildly differing results.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
let me clarify my earlier post, which was written in a hurry and on re reading sounds a bit strange

most skis (recreational models) are made in batches of three, not so they have a spare one , but because you can fit 3 across the work bench and reach the mold comfortably (well that is how it was being done in the rossignol factory and the Atomic factory last time i was there)
they are then paired up, by flex testing, again when i was last at the rossi factory (couple of years back) there was a guy standing, flexing the skis and putting them into pairs..... probably not the most scientific way to do it, but i am sure he has been doing it for years and has a 'feel' for what he is doing. In theory there should not be a vast difference between all the skis from the same batch, there will always be slight anomolies with materials ... trees don't all grow the same, again in theory foam cores shouldn't suffer this, but there is bound to be something that will affect them.

SZK makes a really good point about the warranty, if there is a problem then you may come unstuck. if you cannot get another pair of skis from the supplier and you really want them, prehaps the best thing would be to contact the shop and ask them to provide you a written statement saying that they will accept all responsibility if there is an issue in the future. This way you get the skis at the price you want to pay, they sell a pair that they want to shift and you are covered if there is a problem (problem includes noticeable difference in the two skis in use)

The other issue you may have are noticing the difference between the two skis.........how good is the skier using the ski, how much difference is there actually between the two skis (it may be that they are identical, or as near as is practically possible) i have seen blind tests where people have not been able to differenciate between two different models!

as veeeight commented what about massive differences in numbers, it is at that point that there is a likelyhood of material batch differences which could make more noticable differences in the ski.

if all else fails, what size are they, i may know where there is another pair at a sensible price PM me if you need more details of these
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, Manually, the guys that do this are the mutts-nuts, that is at proper factories of real skis. Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends how big the tolerance is. If I could really feel the diference by hand flex I could probably tell the difference underfoot so would want the smallest tolerance I could discern, if only physcologically in the end result
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blimey, that's made me check and, guess what? The serial numbers on my (old and tired) Atomic R9s are over 1000 apart! Should I be worried?

Well, they've done me more than five hard weeks so far and, to the best of my knowledge, each ski has been on both feet from time-to-time without me noticing any significant difference. So, I'm happy.

On the other hand, maybe after next week in the 3V, I have the perfect excuse to find an end of season sale bargain and pension the Atomics off...

"Well, darling, you see they're not actually broken or anything, but I've been told they're no good. Look - the serial numbers don't match."

Thanks, folks, the perfect excuse wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy