Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK Bank credit card

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will there be a problem using my credit card in Saalbach. Read that credit cards are not popular in Austria, the article was over 10 years old,possibly things have changed. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@enigma, It shouldn’t be a problem now. You might find some mountain restaurants that don’t take them but I’ve had few problems with using one recently.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@enigma, when we were in both Mayrhofen and Ski amade région found quite a few places with min spend for credit cards. So stopping for a drink had to be cash
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solden last Winter, lots of places on the mountain: "Only Cash"
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, always carry cash for the mountain huts, though the big ones in big resorts and down in the towns are usually ok. Sometimes cards (not only UK ones, we've had problems with lots of types and random intervals) can be a bit problematic at tolls and self-service petrol stations too. Even the desk at the local bank won't accept my (German) Euro card Shocked so I have to pull cash out of the machine to make payments! Feels a bit medieval sometimes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Always handy to have cash especially if you rely on pre paid cards like Revolut. No internet connection - no payment.

It is interesting watching the generational thing with cards v cash in France. To the 20 year old a contactless is cool. To an over 40 year old business owner it's a payment that he can't dodge paying tax on. The banks doing Macrons work for him!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Things have been changing rapidly recently. Yes there are still places that only accept cash or have a minimum spend but more and more cards and contactless cards / phones are the norm. Cash is welcomed for tips and, as mentioned, in places like huts. Walking around with no cash like you might do in the UK, Denmark, Holland etc is probably not such a good idea but you should not need too much cash.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It is interesting watching the generational thing with cards v cash in France. To the 20 year old a contactless is cool. To an over 40 year old business owner it's a payment that he can't dodge paying tax on. The banks doing Macrons work for him!

I've noticed that cheques are still used in France. It is odd seeing someone (usually elderly) filling in a cheque at a supermarket checkout. However I have never had a problem, even in bars, paying with a card tap over the last year. I even paid in small shed at the sport climbing area near Longefoy for a couple beers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, French are very much attached to their cheque book. I still get French people wanting to pay that way for their apartment booking. Not just elderly either. I have noticed more and more signs up at checkouts advising that cheques are no longer accepted.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@enigma, at risk of repeating what others have said, I spend much of my time in Saalbach, and I can confirm that credit cards are generally accepted everywhere (shops, lift stations, village restaurants, etc.), but not in bars and some mountain huts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just make sure it is not an Amex / American express. Hard to find places that accept those.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
I have noticed more and more signs up at checkouts advising that cheques are no longer accepted.

too much fraud.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, too much in charges also likely. Barclays charge my business £1.50 per cheque. we only take about 20 cheques a year now for elderly people who will only pay that way - they often give us the £1.50 as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite a few of the more reasonably priced mountain restaurants and bars only take cash. When we have been in a sticky situation they have always been friendly enough to suggest to us to come back and pay the next day.

There are ATMs in town so you'll be fine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy