Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

IP Sports (Ilkeston) ebay stitch up - update II

Poster: A snowHead
Updated:

Bought some Volkl Racetiger skis + bindings from IPsports (Ilkeston) via e-bay.

Was going to take them out still packaged at Xmas and assemble over there but was bored so decided to fit bindings over here. Wrong bindings. IP sports are ignoring my (multiple emails). The mobile number they gave me is apparently disconnected (straight to three pips sound).

I'm past the window to return via e-bay (I know, I know). Does anybody know if there is a (relatively) straightforward path I can take to get resolved ? I'm wondering how much effort to put into this.

So I pursued this via the credit card company (Capital One). And whilst they were very careful not to describe it as a 'section 75' claim, they have given me an 'initial' refund for the full amount. Prior to doing this I had to provide evidence I had contacted the seller to indicate the goods were available for their pick-up. I did this via mobile text (discovered I had transposed their number) after they ignored 13 calls in a week, once they knew my number ! And also via recorded post. No response to date (as at 15th October).

They, 'IP Sports', have a limited time to respond and if they don't, the refund is permanent, otherwise it becomes a dispute and 'who can prove what' situation. Which I'll win hands down. because I'm telling the truth but more to the point. I have the evidence and documentation to prove it.

So at this point it looks to me like they are going to do nothing and presumably write it off as not worth the effort. Leaving me with a pair of Racetigers I can't find a way to get the bindings for and some pretty good bindings that unfortunately I don't have an immediate use for.

Update II - so it's still in dispute. They came back and said I'd sat on the issue and was trying it on. They have some brass neck. Unbelievable.

Thanks to all for the advise and pointers.

No buying skis off ebay for me in future . . .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-12-19 13:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paypal/ebay protection or if you did not with paypal, then credit card section 75?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Mr. Egg above.

But if that does not work, go for Money Claim Online — works every time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. It'll be the first time I've used Section 75, which is why it never even crossed my mind. Money Claim Online was a new one on me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski wrote:
Thanks guys. It'll be the first time I've used Section 75, which is why it never even crossed my mind. Money Claim Online was a new one on me.

It depends how you paid. If you paid with a credit card, but "via" PayPal, then the credit card company may say talk to PayPal, because that's who they sent the money to. But if you paid direct with a credit card, then you are on firmer ground.

But you may still have an issue, given the time it's taken for you to make a claim.

In theory, a debit card should give you the same protection as a credit card, as the banks have just decided that they will apply the (legal) rules they must follow with credit cards to debit cards. You can search online to find out all about this.

Money Claim Online is just an easy way of issuing a County Court Summons. And this normally does the trick with everyone from the airlines though to Apple:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Nickski, How long ago did you buy the skis?? -- makes all the difference
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Poogle wrote:
...It depends how you paid. If you paid with a credit card, but "via" PayPal, then the credit card company may say talk to PayPal, because that's who they sent the money to. But if you paid direct with a credit card, then you are on firmer ground.....
They may say that, but they (the credit card company) are still jointly liable: they can't wash their hands like that. You'd never get decent support from Pay Pal, but with the CC company they don't have a choice other than to give you your money back or fight you through the courts. I'd stick with them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I lived 5 miles from Ilkeston until two years ago. There's definitely not a ski retailer there. This is someone selling 'stuff' from their garage I expect.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Poogle wrote:

It depends how you paid. If you paid with a credit card, but "via" PayPal,

In which case he should be covered by Ebay Money back guarantee when paying with paypal
https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/index.html

Otherwise Section 75 if paid with a credit card & not paypal
If paid with a debit card, then your probably stuffed unless you want to try a legal claim

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 13-08-19 6:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queenie pretty please wrote:
I lived 5 miles from Ilkeston until two years ago. There's definitely not a ski retailer there. This is someone selling 'stuff' from their garage I expect.

pretty much
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10010751
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nice garage !

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=50866578&sale=55504472&country=england
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@albob, shows how misleading Rightmove can be. I know that house. It sits on the corner of a busy junction and is quite dated/run down. Google Street View gives a better impression.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nickski, ebay guarantee is 30 days, if that is out of time, the paypal one lasts 180 days, I would guess you paid using paypal as its ebay, so just set up a paypal dispute and get the evidence available, you will prob need an "expert" to say they are the wrong bindings i.e. a ski shop.

I have used paypal dispute once and it was rather protracted, but once I supplied the "evidence", which was massive edge damage, which I had to get an estimate from a ski shop to repair, the other side did not do anything, so they closed it in my favour.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got them in May, paid with credit card (not via Paypal).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nickski wrote:
Got them in May, paid with credit card (not via Paypal).

then you should still be covered by section 75 (providing it was over £100)
Thats why I try to avoid using paypal for anything over £100
snow report
@Nickski, then section 75 will work for you, as long as over £100

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases/

edit: cross post with mr egg
snow conditions
@Nickski, One other question -- did you leave them feedback ?? (if you left them positive feedback, then you could have difficulty claiming a refund..)
snow conditions
IP Sports are not an accredited snowsports retailer. I've had a number of customers buy skis that are either have incorrect bindings or no bindings and then come to me to get them sorted.

It's pretty obvious that they have little or no knowledge of skis and bindings etc. Probably bought up some bankrupt stock as they are not dealers for any of the ski brands they're selling. Also means there's no warranty etc.

Their prices should be the obvious give away. If it seems to good to be true then it probably is!
snow conditions
try pinging esther ...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/esther-hutchinson-53017aa3/?originalSubdomain=uk
snow conditions
@albob, nope. Though as e-bay is very dependent on feedback, I suspect if I'd left bad feedback they wouldn't be ignoring me.

Fair point @spyderjon,
ski holidays
they seem to have pretty decent feedback on ebay! rolling eyes
snow conditions
@kitenski, indeed they do, one of the reasons I went ahead. Seemed very reasonable and straightforward. It was only once I realised they'd given me incompatible bindings, they have refused to communicate and I've given them plenty of time to respond.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 13-08-19 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Nickski, what’s wrong with the bindings that you can’t fit them?
ski holidays
It’s a rail system and the bindings are standard screw in.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Nickski, what’s wrong with the bindings that you can’t fit them?

Usual problem is a rail system were the toe/heel bindings won't fit rail. Had a local BASI instructor in a few weeks ago who'd bought a Salomon piste ski/Smartrak rail binding set. The skis were in their sealed wrapper and the bindings were boxed, just as they'd be delivered to a dealer. However the long metal 'blade' that's sits within the rail in to which the heel binding locates was missing from both skis. I ordered in a pair of replacement rental blades as the skis were fitted with the rental model plate. The blades fitted perfectly but when the owner arrived with the toe and heels bindings they were the retail version not the rental version so wouldn't fit the rail.

The differences in the parts are often subtle but I've seen the same thing with Heads, Nordicas & Volkls from this and other bucket shop sellers including Sports Direct. This is what happens when they're buying up old/bankrupt stock etc as the stuff being auctioned off is often incomplete/mismatched etc so to be fair it's could be that the sellers are just incompetant as as opposed to deliberately trying to scam.
snow conditions
Are we sure they aren't Sports Direct clearance - Derbyshire address, lots of Nevica and Dalbello stufff?

In which case f all chance of getting them sorted.
snow conditions
Thing was the guy noticed he’d paired the wrong bindings. Asked me to wait a bit longer. I’m guessing they’ve then just gone ‘sod it’, lets take the chance. The lady was really chatty when I picked up, now I wonder if it was distraction. I hope not but they won’t answer my emails and the mob. number they gave me no longer works. Just doesn’t look good.

btw Jon, I’m the guy who got you to fit some vist bindings to a pair of too short Blizzard Bonafides (still my favourite skis but now delaminating) and some Whitedot carbon lites off you. I you have a really good memory.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

In the bizarre world of eBay feedback, I would not say that 99.4% positive feedback is good. My personal rule of thumb is that anything less than 99.7% starts to ring alarm bells.

I hope that the sound advice already given by others help save the issue. For the future, it strikes me that for ski stuff, where items may have to match up with each other, and definitely be as described, you should take particular care when buying on ebay.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:

When you're selling random items of sports equipment or clothing then that's easy to achieve. The problem is when some technical knowledge is required.
snow report
@Nickski, was your contact with the seller through the Ebay system or a direct to the seller via email?

Could make a big difference to your claim i.e. - through the ebay system, Ebay can look at the history of your dealings ; direct contact, not good..
snow report
Nickski wrote:
It’s a rail system and the bindings are standard screw in.

pretty flipping obvious then!
snow report
achilles wrote:
kitenski wrote:

In the bizarre world of eBay feedback, I would not say that 99.4% positive feedback is good. My personal rule of thumb is that anything less than 99.7% starts to ring alarm bells.

I hope that the sound advice already given by others help save the issue. For the future, it strikes me that for ski stuff, where items may have to match up with each other, and definitely be as described, you should take particular care when buying on ebay.

That's an interesting observation, I tend to think there will always be complainers, and with 2500+ feedback I set the bar around 99% and also check recent reviews. Perhaps I should reset my bar!

They've had 2 negative feedbacks in the past 12 months, both saying they were sent the wrong items.
snow report
@albob, through ebay
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
try pinging esther ...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/esther-hutchinson-53017aa3/?originalSubdomain=uk

Invite not accepted . . . yet. I'll leave it hanging for now but I don't think i have much choice but to go down the Section 75 route.
ski holidays
seems that way -- good luck !
ski holidays
Update: well in the course of preparing the docs for the credit card company, I discovered two things:
1. The payment was processed via Paypal. More later.
2. I’d mistyped the contact mob. no.

So, called the number a few times. Got in touch eventually. Apparently they are on holiday in US, could be true but doesn’t explain why they ignored my emails. They will ‘check inventory’ when they get back in September (must be doing OK!). Bit dubious so submitted dispute to credit card company anyway, which in theory gives them 45d to respond. Will keep updating.
ski holidays
Good move. Being on "Holiday" sounds suspicious; could be they are just trying to drag everything out before they pull the plug on the company.

Could be that because you used Paypal, that the CC company may use that as an excuse to avoid paying you back. So best research that online — you can't be the first.

Hope you get it sorted, I think you will be OK.
snow report
There's nothing sinister about an online seller using Paypal as their 'merchant terminal' to process their debit/credit card receipts. The individual transaction charges levied on the seller are usually greater than if a traditional card payment processing provider (ie Worldpay, Barclaycard, Avalon etc) is used but that's offset against there being no monthly fee and it makes PCI Compliance a doddle as no card details are held by the retailer.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, does that mean it doesn’t effect section 75 due to paypal being considered an intermediary ?
snow report
You should also enter the 'dispute' mechanisms of ebay/paypal as well as secton75
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy