Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Radstadt and Altenmarkt

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

We are planning a ski trip for March 2020 , 2 adults and 3 children almost beginners other than a few hours lessons at a snowdome. We visited these places in the summer and they seemed a good choice for our ski trip and easy to get to from Salzburg. We want to be as late in March as possible due to school so, 15th or.22nd are the options. Do i need to look elsewhere as so late in season? Would love some feeback on the resort, ski schools (many English speaking?) And if a car is needed. Thanks for reading!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EEN, in my opinion the 'triangle' of Radstadt/Altenmarkt/Eben/Flachau is the best location in Ski Amadé. You are centrally placed to be able to get around the whole area and you have lively charming towns with all the facilities you need right on your doorstep. I certainly wouldn't worry about conditions. The smaller ski areas are open to the end of March and often beyond, and the larger ski areas are open until late April.

A car is certainly helpful, and car hire from Salzburg is easy and not over-expensive. Many areas of Ski Amadé are linked (Schladming valley, Flachau / Wagrain / St Johann, Hochkönig, Gasteins) and there are good ski bus services, but with a car you have the flexibility to go where you want, when you want. Hire cars come with winter tyres and vignette as standard, all ski areas have good parking facilities at the base stations and many have easy flat access roads (some are directly from the motorway).

You might check and see if flangesax's guest house has availability for your week (austrian-adventures.com).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, some great info in your reply, thanks so much for that. Great to hear end of March may be a safe bet afterall.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What @queenie pretty please, said. Plus, from the 15th March 2020 your kids ski free on the family pass so a 450 Euro saving right there! Have a look on our Facebook Page @theredandwhiteskicompany for the photos from April last season and (while it might not be quite so good) you'll see how great the conditions can be. We currently have self-catering apartment options available for both those weeks, right in the centre of Flachau, if you're interested. PM or message via the Facebook. Not sure if the adults are also beginners but the Fischis Ski School in Flachau does very good "All Inclusive" (Kit and Lessons) family packages. https://www.fischis-skischule.at/en/. I wouldn't bother with a car unless you're in Radstadt or Altenmarkt. The Ski Buses from Flachau can take you to Flachauwinkel/Zauchensee/Kleinarl, or round to the Rote 8 in Wagrain if you don't want to ski over. Average Transfer from Salzburg to Flachau last season was 120Euros each way for a Minibus Style taxi.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@panaga52, €120 each way - is that a private transfer? If so it's a good price for a family of 5 against the €50 euro per person return for the shared transfer
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@EEN, Good choice, its a great area to ski, been there a couple of times in late season, lovelly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having taken beginners to Radstadt and stayed with flangesax, that holiday gets a big thumbs up from me. Definitely get a car if you have kids, easy to get to the baths then (big swimming pool complex in Altenmarkt) and easy to get to Flachauwinkl, which is a great day out for a family. The drive from Salzburg is very easy. There is a big car park at the base of Radstadt and you have to do the toboggan run if it has enough snow. We had a great time there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll add my support for the above comments, I have stayed in Radstadt (Flangesax's place) and lived in both Altenmarkt and now Eben (Eben is smaller and quieter). All great places. If you were thinking of driving up to Obertauen (higher and sometimes firmer snow conditions) the nthe super pass may be worth it. Saying that, I ski right up until May, and with touring involved once skied the top half of the World Cup run at Zauch on the 9th of June.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-08-19 12:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks so.much everyone , heaps of great info and looks like a good choice so will stick to this area. Would it.make any difference between arriving 15th or 22nd March re snow conditions , radstadt says end of season is 31st march, or just luck whatever 2020 brings? thanks for the free ski pass tips and advise on other local resorts. Pool and tobogganing sound great. finally, Are ski schools all a monday start?. Thanks again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EEN, there's no way of predicting weather that far ahead. I have experienced both warm days and complete blizzards in late March. But I have never not been able to ski. The ski area closing dates are always fixed, essentially the farmers want their land back, it's not to do with lack of snow. Changeover day is usually Saturday, so ski schools often start on Sunday, but I'm sure they will try to accommodate whatever you need.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would definitely have a car, especially with kids. Gives you options and you don’t spend time waiting for the bus. Last thing you want at the end of a day skiing is to wait 15 minutes for a bus with potentially tired children.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@EEN, Ski School will start on whatever day you want it to, but most 5/6 day packages start on Sunday or Monday to match changeover days. The Fischis Ski School I mentioned earlier start on whatever day you want and you can book 3, 5, or 6 Day Options. The schools normally have some sort of kids "Race Day" and prize giving on the final day. The Hermann Maier school only does 5 day options I think: http://www.skischule-hermann-maier.at/en/

@holidayloverxx, Trying to find the name of the Taxi company for you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@panaga52, ta
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. Some fantastic information to start planning the trip. Sounds the perfect place for us
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think for beginners that Zauchensee offers the best options. The transition from learner slope to the next level is a steep one in Altenmarkt and Radstadt.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I think for beginners that Zauchensee offers the best options. The transition from learner slope to the next level is a steep one in Altenmarkt and Radstadt.

My kids & wife learnt to ski in Zauchensee, Excellent ski school, and the home of Michael Walchoffer. Despite being a small area it is brilliant, easy slope access, some nice terrain, lots of side piste, Connects to flachau. Ok you end up lapping quite a bit, but it is still fun.
I still ski it for a day when I'm in the area.
snow conditions
@Bob, Zauch doesn't connect to Flachau...yet. You can get the bus from the bottom of the Highport lift on the Flachauwinkl side to Flachau - takes about 10 mins
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Bob, Zauch doesn't connect to Flachau...yet. You can get the bus from the bottom of the Highport lift on the Flachauwinkl side to Flachau - takes about 10 mins

that's what I mean...
snow report

First day of skiing at Radstadt 20th March 2016. Plenty of snow for skiing, the toboggan run open but the valley and south facing slopes had no snow.

24th March and this is our balcony, ankle deep in snow and it was still falling fast.

The problem at Radstadt is that the ‘blue’ to the bottom is, in classic Austrian style, marked with blue posts on one side, reds on the other with barely a couple of degrees difference in the steepness of the slope. The best thing to do is to take the gondola to the top and go to the chairlift. If you don’t feel up to something harder, get the gondola down but remember that the gondola midstation is ABOVE the entry to the chairlift. If you go past the bottom of the chairlift, you are committed to getting to the base using gravity. Skiing over to the Altenmarkt side starts with an easy red so the blue only terrain is quite limited. The gondolas from both bases are as good as a gondola gets and there were no queues and the slopes were quiet. Flachauwinkl is an easy 20 min drive where there is more blue terrain (but it is linked by a narrow cat track round the hillside as the second stage is a natural red. I found Flachau much busier (lots of very big lifts so the queues weren’t that bad but the slopes were crazy busy) but I did only ski there for one afternoon.
snow report
@what...snow, Flachau is about the busiest area generally
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, https://www.transferzentrale.com/inquire-en This was the taxi company used by some for my guests last year. In both cases (Family of 3 and family of 5) they had their own vehicle for up to 7 passengers and paid €100 each way.
snow report
@panaga52, thanks...that's helpfull
latest report
@what...snow, thanks for the details and pics from March, thanks for.uploading those.
snow report
@panaga52, will note those transfer details too. Thanks for sharing.
snow report
@EEN, my kids have grown up skiing Radstadt and the wider Ski Amade as we have been visiting the area, winter and summer, for a number of years. For me, there's few places better.....

There is a snowhead ( Flangesax ) who runs a guest house in Radstadt that I would thoroughly recommend ( www.austrian-adventures.com ). Check them out Happy
latest report
Hi all, any tips on ski schools looking at Radstadt, Altenmarkt and Eben. English speaking, would any be more likely to have English children in their classes so.my daughters are not the only ones who don't speak German? It wont be school holidays either wc 14th or 21st March. Thanks for any recommendations.
snow report
@EEN, all ski schools have English-speaking instructors as that is the default for people who do not speak German. They tend to be a mix of Danish, Dutch, Czech, etc. Not many Brits but there might be a few.

Ben (Mr Flangesax) works for Radstadt Ski School (as well as owning and running an excellent guest house).
ski holidays
[b]@queenie pretty please. Thanks for all your info, youve been a great help. We have been to the area the last 3 summers and found v few English speaking visitors which is kind of nice but could be more difficult for skiing lessons i thought. Seems a great area and easily accessible via the highway so im not sure why Brits stay away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were there last half term, staying at Flangesax place.

We used the Radstadt ski school for our girls (who had upto 8 and 6yrs skiing under their belts), my niece and nephew for whom it was their first time on snow, they had just done a course of 6 or so lessons on the dry ski slope.

All got in really well and how much my niece and nephew improved was amazing.

https://www.austrian-adventures.com/

I would definitely recommend hiring a car. Parking is free and plentiful at all the ski areas. We hired skis in Altenmakt and went over there to take the kids to the swimming place - which has a wave pool, several water slides, heated out door pool, spa pools, and a lazy river, on the last day as it was raining / snowing and the hill was in cloud. The kids loved that. We also did the toboggan run on that day as well and had a snow ball fight up the top off the side before taking kids for a hot chocolate in the mountain side restaurant.
latest report
The view sat on the evening enjoying the Gluhwein on the evening on the decking outside the room my sister had

View from our balcony on the last morning

snow report
@NickyJ, thanks for your info.and love the pics. Are the roads easily manageable in the winter over there, thinking Uk black ice scenarios. Prob much easier than 3 kids on the bus i would think. Do you know if Radstadt has ski storage to save transporting them and is ski storage a good idea? Ive seen heaps of recommendations for that accom, looks fabulous, but we really want Self Catering. Cheers again.
latest report
@EEN, give Ben or Ange a call and have a chat. Think self catering is possible at times but not sure... could be only if taking whole chalet?

We had now issues driving round in mid Feb. March will be fine. Winter tyres are mandatory.
snow report
@EEN, Sent PM
snow report
, nb if you use WhatsApps it won’t cost extra to call them.
snow report
@EEN, driving is fine. Most of the ski area access roads are flat as the lift stations are in the valleys. Hire cars will all have winter tyres fitted.
ski holidays
@EEN, I’ve been out there for the last two years in my car in March and no problems at all with the roads. I have winter tyres, which as others have said, are mandatory, but never had to use chains. Saying that, there is always the possibility of a big snow dump, so need to have snow chains in case.

Regarding ski schools, my only experience is with my grandson who had lessons with Skischool Happy in Altenmarkt. He had a Dutch female instructor who spoke very good English and was lovely, and he took to it straight away on his first ski trip. He progressed very quickly and absolutely loved it but I agree with @Frosty the Snowman about Zauchensee and we took him there after he’d had three morning sessions in Altenmarkt. He skied from top to the bottom of the mountain there on blues without any problems.
ski holidays
@EEN I am booked to go out on 15th of March myself. We try and go out to Altenmarkt every 2nd year, and so far have never ever had a bad experience, from flights into Salzburg, car hire at the airport, driving down the A10, and also the weather (snow conditions) have also always been very good for the time of year, indeed most years we have had 1 if not 2 days of snowfall during the weeks stay.
We stay in Altenmarkt and have been doing as a whole family for over 30yrs, and this is the reason I now take my own little family back there, as it is a quiet little town but with enough to do with young kids.
It’s a big advantage if you do hire a car from the airport, transfers are easier, but also getting up to Zauchensee on the skibus, especially with kids is a bit of a chore (not to mention the return back down), I’m not saying it’s not a bad service, it is in fact quite good, but with kids in tow, it’s testing haha.
The skiing in Zauchensee, as mentioned above, is very good for beginners and intermediates, hence why we like going back there, as the different generations through the family have all learnt to ski there. The added bonus is being able to ski down to Flachauwinkl and then bus is it onto Flachau itself, if you do become a bit familiar with the same piste’s day after day.
I for one will always champion the ski Amadé region as I think it has great skiing for all abilities, it’s very handy from the Airport, and it’s a beautiful part of the world Very Happy
ski holidays
@Redman77. Thanks for the update, great to hear from someone with similar dates and that it's always been good conditions. We have now booked flights so arrive 21st March and can't wait. Staying in Eben and hiring a car so just need to sort out ski schools etc nearer the time for the 5 of us.
ski holidays
@geepee. A bit late but Thanks for your update on this a while back. Ski school happy is one I am looking at and zauchensee. We fly out the 21st March, can't wait.
latest report
@EEN, I live in Eben during the winter, it's a lovely quiet little town. There is a ski school at the little Eben resort as well (their instructors do teach in other resorts), but there are only two lifts at the Eben resort so it's more of a day visit place regarding the amount of skiing. It's very close to the other local resorts though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy