Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Briancon - Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Considering this as an option for w/c 28th March - I'm thinking that Serre Chevalier is usually good for this time of year? Is that right?

From what I've read on here, I've gathered that the villages along the road are usually preferred as a base ski wise, but we have a non-skier and a coelliac, so I'm wondering if the larger town might be the better option for them. Happy to be advised differently on that one though.

One thing that threw me, is one accommodation (in the old part of town) said in it's blurb "The nearest ski resort is less than 10 minutes away by car." Is that right?
Can't you just walk to the lift from Briancon itself?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Briancon is quite a big town by mountain standards so you could easily have accommodation which is 10 mins drive from the nearest lift
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ray Zorro, hi, sorry, I just remembered you sent me a PM and I didn't answer it. Briancon is a town in 2 parts. THe newer town at the bottom of the hill, which has accommodation near the lifts, and the old Vauban citadel which is at the top of a steep hill, and a drive to the slopes. Aigle Bleu are the closest apartments to the ski lift. There's a shuttle to the lifts from the top of the town.
There should be plenty for non-skiers in all the villages though and most can also cope with coeliacs. We've had a couple on bashes to the Hotel Europe in Monetier. Slopes in late March at Briancon end can be slushy, and it often closes before the other villages (although not usually as early as the end of March. There's a bus along the valley too. For non-skiers, lift access up to the slopes is easier from Chantemerle to meet up for lunch. There's a spa hotel in Villeneuve and a thermal spa in Monetier, and plenty of valley walks. The Vauban citadel is worth a mooch particularly the collegiate church.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ray Zorro, we've stayed in a hotel up in the citadel at that time of year, it was a lovely place to be but felt very strange clomping through the streets in ski gear when everyone else was in city tourist gear! There was an easy regular bus to the lifts which made accessing the slopes very practicable but the centre is pedestrianised so even that is a bit of a hike depending on hotel location. The newer part down towards the lifts wasn't so attractive imo so If you don't mind a bit of inconvenience at either end of the day the citadel it could be a good option with a non skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of new development going on at the bottom end of town.at the moment. Apartments, cinema and new shops and restaurants. Not quite finished yet though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, it's a while since we stayed up at that end of the area, I'm sure it's changed massively. It was a memorable trip....slipped on ice outside the lift station, landed on my coccyx, couldn't sit down for weeks!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@homphomp, oooh, painful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the comments so far. I am veering away from Briancon in light of what is being said.

So that my research is complete, in terms of the 3 villages, I've found good accommodation close to the lifts in both Villeneuve and Chantemarle, (good accommodation but a bit further away in Monetier). I'm instinctively drawn more towards Villeneuve because it looks to be larger and has more restaurants (we will eat out each night) and also as the chalet there is closest to the lifts.
Is there anything that I should know about them that might otherwise sway my decision one way or another?

Is there organised group snow-shoeing anywhere in the resort?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ray Zorro, ESF usually run group snowshoeing. Which lift is the chalet closest to?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, Aravet
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the other hand, Monetier has the amazing spa that the non skier will love to spend his/her days there. And they can always take a bus to go to Briancon (payable even with a ski pass).
I've been there in January a couple of years ago, we stayed in Briancon just across Prorel gondola, in Mozart apartment(through Booking).
@Hells Bells, is your side of the ski area usually OK/less slushy in mid-March to the end of it?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@drporat, yes snows always better there
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ray Zorro, We stayed in Villeneuve for Christmas a couple of years ago, it's a nice place with an old core (we were in La Vielle Ferme which was very quirky!). Had a great time there despite missing some skiing for bad weather, we had half board so didn't eat out but there were lots of nice looking eateries. The hotel itself had a rotisserie over a roaring fire which was open to all which was popular (not my cup of tea as a semi-veggie)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ray Zorro, Not sure if I can add mush to what has been said.
But I used to go to Serre Che regularly at that time of the yer for Easter holidays when our kids were younger.
Snow was generally very good though probably not quite as reliable as the very high resorts and low down it would always get soft as the day progressed. One very poor snow year we changed plans to go elsewhere as the snow reports were very unpromising , however for about six or seven years we were regularly satisfied and sometimes they were excellent.

The slopes generally face north and east, the best way to ski the area at that time of the year is starting at Monetier and working your way down the valley as you take the Eastern slopes in the morning as they soften , later on they can get very soft. You get the more northern slopes as you return , the lower slopes to most of the resorts are usually best skied before 11 . At that time of the year the Briancon slopes tend to close around the end of March .

We stayed both in Monetier and Briancon but had a car for accessing the skiing. Personally I would go for one of those two with a non skier for things to do. We often went with friends one of whom is coeliac however I'm not sure how useful the experience is for you as we self catered and ate in , on the mountains there was little problem finding appropriate food.

It's a really really nice place to ski and I would certainly recommend it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, as an update - booked Chantemerle and really looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments Very Happy
snow conditions
@Ray Zorro, Enjoy...it's a great area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy