Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stop The Massacre Of Glaciers

Poster: A snowHead
This is a horrifying pic, but does anyone know what they are trying to achieve with the diggers?

https://alpinemag.fr/stop-au-massacre-des-glaciers/?fbclid=IwAR1nVmSj6Ugw1HKhALsA2VBGKdJ_spr0ABgUpg2oaYfJuC3Q6euIXgurCH4
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
This is a horrifying pic, but does anyone know what they are trying to achieve with the diggers?

https://alpinemag.fr/stop-au-massacre-des-glaciers/?fbclid=IwAR1nVmSj6Ugw1HKhALsA2VBGKdJ_spr0ABgUpg2oaYfJuC3Q6euIXgurCH4

It is to fill in crevasses, reduce the slope angle etc. to make the glacier skiable in the winter. They do similar things on other glaciers although maybe this is on a bigger scale than usual due to the proposed link and new pistes. The price of glacier skiing I'm afraid.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good article in the link, the Alps have more than enough skiing to cater for everyone, 'mega' resorts are generally quiet during the majority of the season out with the 6 peak weeks. Last season I've been the only person on entire chair lifts and pistes in Paradiski, Kitz, La Thuile etc.
Constant expansion and linking of existing resorts will create a grave yard of abandoned ski stations in the middle term I predict.
I would support an EU wide ban on ski area expansion, or support any resort that announced they were reducing lift pass prices instead of spending X Million on new lifts/runs/areas etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No idea what exactly they are trying to do on this particular place, but there's plans (or maybe construction is already going on) for connecting Soelden and Pitztal glaciers, and as far as I just quickly browsed something with this picture related few days ago, it's about this connection.
Sure "stop massacre of glaciers" but on other side we would go skiing on glaciers (or elsewhere, as "massacre of nature" is just as same for normal ski runs/resorts) . Well it doesn't go both ways Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On exactly the same topic https://www.wetteronline.de/fotostrecken/2019-09-19-al?part=single . I have always thought that glacier skiing areas are particularly intrusive. Both Saas Fee and Stubai come to mind as being particularly unattractive with rubble strewn areas covered with pylons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks very dangerous, have they done a risk assessment ? How do you get a digger out of a crevass ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its easy to imagine the backlash against skiing infrastructure growing, as it already is against diesel vehicles or meat. And it may not be unreasonable. The ski areas are going to need to some credible strategies and arguments.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
It is to fill in crevasses, reduce the slope angle etc. to make the glacier skiable in the winter. They do similar things on other glaciers although maybe this is on a bigger scale than usual due to the proposed link and new pistes. The price of glacier skiing I'm afraid.

I don't understand the science of glaciers, but could filling in the gaps ultimately be a benefit?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
davidof wrote:

I don't understand the science of glaciers, but could filling in the gaps ultimately be a benefit?

No idea, maybe it would, they are all going to melt anyway over the next 50-60 years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You'll see in the photo that the untouched surface is covered with a dark top layer of dirt/dust (possibly from the atmosphere, sometimes saharan sand falls onto glaciers given southerly winds). That dark layer will absorb more heat from the Sun and melt quicker, so turning over the top layer and exposing the white snow beneath might actually be expected to slow the rate of the glacier melting. I'm not saying that such artificial rearrangement of the glacier is necessarily a good thing however.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
You'll see in the photo that the untouched surface is covered with a dark top layer of dirt/dust (possibly from the atmosphere, sometimes saharan sand falls onto glaciers given southerly winds). That dark layer will absorb more heat from the Sun and melt quicker, so turning over the top layer and exposing the white snow beneath might actually be expected to slow the rate of the glacier melting. I'm not saying that such artificial rearrangement of the glacier is necessarily a good thing however.

and in the same vein there is a theory that compaction of snow by skiers and piste bashers helps conserve glaciers. Without a more scientific study we probably won't know the truth.

The works on the glacier on the photo have started before planning permission has been granted - which seems par for the course with ski resorts all over the Alps
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lechbob, with the biggest jumars you ever saw! And: how long have you been in Driggs? Remember the British Rail?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Around ~50% of the skiable summer glaciers in the Northern Hemisphere have already melted away.

A couple Cats digging a hole in tiny Austria ain't gonna change zip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing horrifying about the picture, its standard Summer maintenance for glacier pistes in many ski resorts. The piste would be unusable in Winter due to skiers falling down the crevasse's Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pretty easy to see the photo and act outraged. Without more information it's hard to know what's actually going on, and as noted by others it could actually have positive affects of maintaining the glacier.

Quote:

I would support an EU wide ban on ski area expansion, or support any resort that announced they were reducing lift pass prices instead of spending X Million on new lifts/runs/areas etc

Ski resorts are businesses. They are run for profit. They should do whatever they see fit (legally) to increase profit. There are plenty of more pressing matters that the EU could do something about.

Quote:

Constant expansion and linking of existing resorts will create a grave yard of abandoned ski stations in the middle term I predict

So? It's normal that some business grow, some fail. I don't see the issue. If there is demand for small resorts people will use them and they will stay in business. If there is no demand there is no reason for them to stay in business.

The article seems like the standard skier virtue signalling (POW is the worst for this). Happy to complain about the environment, while still taking part in resort skiing which is clearly not good in terms of carbon footprint and cutting down plants and trees for pistes. Until they move to 100% ski touring they are hypocrites for complaining.
snow report
It certainly doesn’t look good and if they have not received consent then that is not going to inspire confidence in other proposals they may have.

I would have thought that mixing air into the glacier would hasten it’s decline?

There is a bigger question here. How many seasons do we have left before a lot of the ski infrastructure becomes redundant? At what point does Snowcover become too unreliable to sustain the spending. 5 years? 10, 20?
snow conditions
Quote:

Constant expansion and linking of existing resorts will create a grave yard of abandoned ski stations in the middle term I predict

Ski resorts are a bit different to normal businesses tho. Personally I wouldn't like to see any abandoned resorts or infrastructure if it can be avoided, the climate and rising snow line means resorts already are and will continue to struggle. To see some areas eventually fail due to ever expansion would be sad.
snow report
Quote:

To see some areas eventually fail due to ever expansion would be sad.

Where has this happened though? There are plenty of abandoned areas in North America, where space is of abundance. In Europe these smaller resorts will just get swallowed into bigger resorts as they expand, unless they have fundamental problems (e.g. too low to get consistent snow). It's like the people that are sad the high streets and pubs are closing while doing all their shopping online and drinking cheap supermarket alcohol at home. It's not sad, it's just business and lack of demand.
latest report
There’s are article here with some abandoned Italian resorts.

https://newrepublic.com/article/154261/climate-change-italy-alps-ruins-ski-resorts

Most due to lack of reliable snow or financial mismanagement it seems. I’m not sure it’s the lack of custom.
ski holidays
Quote:

Most due to lack of reliable snow or financial mismanagement it seems. I’m not sure it’s the lack of custom.

Lack of snow = lack of custom.
snow report
Swiss to hold a Funeral March to mark the disappearance of a Glacier today

"...Dozens of people will undertake a "funeral march" up a steep Swiss mountainside on Sunday to mark the disappearance of an Alpine glacier amid growing global alarm over climate change...."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/swiss-to-hold-high-altitude-wake-for-lost-glacier/ar-AAHE0Dg?srcref=rss
ski holidays
Pizol glacier...another one bites the dust

snow conditions

snow conditions
Mont Blanc Glacier in Danger of Collapse Warn Experts Sad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49820542
ski holidays
I'd posted that at a similar time, as couldn't find the thread (thinking I need glasses... Shocked)

maybe it could be merged to this thread Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy