Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach Hinterglemm - Hotel Konig and Hotel Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've seen some good deals on both the Hotel Konig in Saalbach and the Hotel Austria in Hinterglemm. Does anyone know these hotels and have any views on them? How well are they located?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stayed at könig a couple of years ago. Decent location. Buffet style dinners were ok but not great. Some of the food was s bit random if I'm being critical of the place. Good value though and friendly staff
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sugarmoma666, the Koenig has been rated approvingly in the past by other Snowheads who have stayed there. (Cacciatore and Honeybunny)
We actually look down the nursery slope from the living room of our apartments at the rear of the Koenig, so it’s kind of a neighbour.
Location is of course all-important. There is a rope-tow from the back of the Koenig, which brings you to the top of the small nursery slope. You then walk along the top of the slope (the other side of our garden fence) about 30 meters to a gap that brings you out onto Skiliftstraße, very close to the Kohlmaisbahn lift station.
On your return you can apres-ski at the bars on Skiliftstraße and then ski down the nursery slope to the back door of the Koenig.
Minimal walking is involved, so I would say that it scores highly for location, even though it’s down by the main road, rather than up in the immediate area of the lift station on Skiliftstraße.
The Hotel Austria is on the main road between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. I would say that its location is not as good. You might be able to walk to the Mitteregg drag lift, from which you can ski over to the main nursery area on the Schattberg side of Hinterglemm, or you might end up catching ski buses in one direction or the other.
From my knowledge of their respective locations, I wouldn’t hesitate in opting for the Koenig.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666, Hotel Austria is in a slightly awkward place, a 5 minute walk to the Mitteregg T-bar for access, or a bus ride away from Saalbach or from the main lifts in Hinterglemm. As the centre of Hinterglemm is pedestrianised, the bus will drop you near the Bergfriedlift (another T-bar, 2 mins walk) or at the Zwölferkogel gondola, but may be relatively full by the time you get on it. Reiterkogel is not on the bus route.

Walking into or back from Hinterglemm in the evening is possible, but it’s about 15-20 minutes away. Taxis are plentiful though.

No idea about the hotel or food, sorry.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My family of 4 stayed at the König about 4 years ago, and it was fine. Location is good - not far from the centre, food was standard fare - not excellent, but certainly not poor. Can remember the bar always being very quiet, so it seemed quite dead in an evening. Overall, a good base and the price was reasonable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would choose saalbach over hinterglem if both hotels offered a similar package, skiing wise you can get to both from both but from saalbach its easier to go over to leogang and with the new lift to zell its going to be quicker from saalbach either by bus or on skis and both are easy enough to access fieberbrun but for apres etc saalbach offers more choice and to me is friendlier and whatever your taste you will find it there, its a horses for courses thing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Konig is great, thumbs up from me! Excellent food and lovely staff.

Location is fine - easy to get to the slopes and you can ski home to the back door (in good snow).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy