Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

espace killy Where to stay

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Previously i have stayed in Val Thoren and Reberty in the past few years particularly enjoying Reberty.

This year I am looking at staying in Espace Killy and not sure what different in Areas are like.

In the 3Valleys I would explore everywhere but spend majority of days skilling in Val Thoren as liked the slopes but preferred staying in the quieter Reberty area.

Just after some first hand knowledge of the area we tend to ski hard all day long with a short lunch break and in the evening we generally chill off in the apartment/chalet and cook ourselves so supermarket near by is handy

Jason
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Firstly, from a geographical pov, it doesn't matter where you stay, you have to try really hard to get stuck in the wrong half of the area, even then the halfwits bus home is less than €10.

This thread will probably descend into a Val is better than Tignes, there is no right answer, but I live in Tignes.

On the whole Val is more expensive for both accom and apres. Each village has it's own vibe. The nearest thing to Reberty is probably Tignes 1800/Boisses, but that can be very quiet on a night and with only one bubble out, delays can occur during Avi work. On balance I would look at Tignes Lavachet, in the centre of things, not too noisy and you can get anywhere in the whole area quite quickly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
you have to try really hard to get stuck in the wrong half of the area, even then the halfwits bus home is less than €10.

Halfwits? I think you are being over generous to them. Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having skied Tignes/Val several times & stayed in both I think the best place to stay would be Tignes Val Claret, simply because it is so easy to get back to from almost any direction & has really good access to lifts whatever direction you feel like heading out in the morning. If you want apres/nightlife it's all there on your doorstep

To clarify, I've never stayed in Val Claret myself, but having stayed at Les Brev (a bit far out on a limb & very low, doesn't get early season snow - but very cheap) & Lavachet (pretty good, but I think Val Claret would be better) & Val (expensive & difficult to find chalet accommodation at any reasonable price closer than about 300m to the slopes - which is about 250m further than I like walking with skis!), I think VC would have the best of all worlds. My son stayed there last year & said it ticked all the boxes.

One thing we particularly didn't like about Lavachet is that if coming back from the Val direction, you either need to make a sizeable circuit around, not necessarily sensible with lifts closing at the end of the day, or come down Trolles which is a black. Trolles is not a particularly nasty black, tho' could be quite icy, but being that it was effectively the "village run" at the latter end of the afternoon it was absolutely full of people that probs shouldn't really have been on it ie they can't ski! Hence instead of being able to relax & enjoy the run, you are constantly dodging both kids & adults that apparently think you are some form of crash barrier, or waiting for areas to clear a little as some areas are quite narrow, only for the ski school to come piling past completely oblivious to all others on the run! You could of course download on the gondola, but then I don't ski to spend time in gondolas I don't need to!

Wherever you stay, it's a great area with some brilliant skiing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For the reasons generally in above post, I'd say Val Claret as well.

Visited with a group and all thought it was ideal too.

As noted already, there's so much to explore and any direction is easy from there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jason.peter1986, excellent skiing area. I've stayed in Val Claret several times and thought its location good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, so Val Claret is cheaper than Val d'Isere and it's definitely more central than Les Boisses or Lavachet and you have the Club Med/UCPA nearby plus the Cocorico Apres ski for a hectic feeling...
On the other hand Tignes le Lac is quieter, with 2 supermarkets, perfectly close to Val Claret(less than 10 min.), with a free bus connecting them every 25 min. You also have the big swimming pool center nearby.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jason.peter1986, hi, Espace Killy a great choice. What time of year are you thinking of going?

I note the slope access benefits of Val Claret. Personally I find the ‘village’ a rather bleak and soulless place. Just personal taste.

I much prefer the feel of Lac de Tignes. Access to slopes more than adequate for me. Feels slightly more like a proper village, though I know it’s purpose built. Bit more space to move around in. Also has the Sports Centre and Leisure Pool, if important to you. Oh and, as the name suggests, a lake!

Over on the Val D’Isere side of the area, if you like it fairly quiet, I think La Daille is a great base.
Easy and quick access to Tignes side. Good home runs, much easier than if staying in main town. Frequent free buses into centre if you want some entertainment, eg on a poor visibility or blowing a hoolie day. You get to see the antics at the Folie Douce too on your home run.

An outlier is La Fornet. Edge of area. High. Access to good reliable snow late season (April onwards) if going then. Free bus access to town but overall not as good as La Daille for majority of season I’d say.
snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@peakyb will be going the last week of March, ideally want ski in out situation or a 2 min walk to the slope
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jason.peter1986 wrote:
@peakyb will be going the last week of March, ideally want ski in out situation or a 2 min walk to the slope

Tignes Le Lac in the buildings close to Le Levanna hotel Blush
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is good skiing all over the place and some fun lifts. Where to stay is personal taste, but in one sense this does cut neatly between VDI itself (you could stretch and call it a tiny town) and all the rest (which are purpose-built ski villages and look the part). Similar to the choice between Alta (traditional look to the surroundings) and Snowbird (concrete and glass). Some care, some don't. I stayed in town, though in terms of walking my talk, I'm going to look at the Manchet Valley area next time. Looks quiet, central, ski-in/out and still walkable to town.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jason.peter1986, last week of March does affect choice a little I think.

I’d be more likely to stay on the Tignes side. I wouldn’t be averse to Val Claret that time of year. Given length of daylight, not so bleak up there as Dec to Feb and home runs more likely to stay in decent condition in afternoon.

On balance I’d probably still favour Lac de Tignes, for reasons outlined earlier.

The lower villages are a bit riskier...Brevieres and Boisses.
That said, I’ve stayed in Boisses end of April and skied right into villagevon decent snow all week.

La Daille should still be fine but red runs home more likely to be chopped up, slushy, strewn with fallers and can be a bit of an ordeal. Same with home rubs to Val D centre, whether from Bellevarde or Solaise mountains.

Plenty of ski in/out, or as best as doesn’t matter, apartments in Val Claret and Lac de Tignes. SnowHeads will know the pros and cons of all. Some may even rent them out!

If budget is very generous, the quality and location of the Taos Apt’s in Lac de Tignes takes some beating. Village Montana good too, though not quite such a good location IMO.

However there are much better value options that should be adequate.

The big Apt block at the bottom of pistes in La Daille are well located but I think a bit cramped and dated.
snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Central Val d'Isere.

Tignes is a concrete eyesore.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But you don’t ski on concrete...err...well...not THAT often in my case.

Mountains for skiing and alpine scenery...Rome, Paris, London, Vienna, etc for beautiful buildings.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone thinking central Val is an object of beauty needs their eyes testing.
Some bits of Vd'I are convenient for the slopes others considerably less so.
For skiing purposes it's only real advantage over Tignes is that in bad weather it's got rather better access to tree lined skiing, though it's hardly extensive.
snow report
@T Bar, +1
Probably the single main difference between staying in Val D’Isere v Tignes is the nightlife.

That does not seem to be a relevant factor for this OP. Some don’t bother to read what the OP asks or prefers though.

They just share their latest 8 word brain dump.
snowHead
ski holidays
@jason.peter1986,
Try Lavachet in Tignes. You can ski back to it on the Digues piste. In the mornings put your skis on behind the Haut de Toviere hotel and slide down to the Paquis & Chaudannes lifts.
latest report
Quote:

The big Apt block at the bottom of pistes in La Daille are well located but I think a bit cramped and dated.

I thought they were completly gutted and refurbished only a couple of years ago
snow report
Le Lac in Tignes is close to the big sports centre and the indoor climbing wall so lots to do in the evening. It also seems pretty well connected to me.
snow conditions
We stayed in Brev a few years ago and got particularly cheesed off that during the heavy snow Val Claret was open but we couldn't get there, no bubble (which has since been replaced) and there were no replacement buses either.

We've now bought an apartment in Val Claret which we use and we rent out, so if some lifts are closed they're usually opened around VC, as a guest you'll be able to ski without trying to get on the bus from Boisses, Lavachet or Le Lac even on inclement weather day. Much better.

There is a pretty decent Sherpa in Val Claret just a few meters from our apartment, there are loads of bars and places to eat if you want to go out for a beer or meal.
ski holidays
@jason.peter1986, if nightlife isn't big on your list of priorities and You ski hard all day long then the only place I would avoid staying in Espace Killy would be in Val d'Isere Centre.

Last week of March it would be Tignes Val Claret for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy