Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm organising a group Ski/ Snowboard holiday for about 7+ adults in December (departing in the first two weeks sometime). 2 of us will be (beginner/intermediate) boarding and the rest will be (beginners) skiing.
I'ld like to know which resorts/ countries are good to visit on a budget i.e eating out, going out etc.

I know Bulgaria is an up and coming country which is suitable, but I'm finding it hard to find a chalet for us there. Any others?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fourten, welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fourten, departing in the first two weeks of December is very early in the season, so I'm not sure whether you'll have a wide choice or resorts. Can you delay your trip until the first couple of weeks after New Year? Those are normally the cheapest weeks, and you'll have a wider choice of resorts.

Welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fourten, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
1st half of December does not offer a great deal of choice by way of open, snow-sure resorts. Bulgaria probably wins hands down on low cost but you might be disappointed with conditions. And the T.O.s going there seem to offer mainly hotels. Maybe it's a hangover from the days of Communism when a chalet would be elitist but a concrete block rabbit warren was PC? wink
Sure others will be along shortly with other suggestions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fourten, welcome to snowHeads.

I would completely agree with what rob@rar.org.uk has said. At that time of year you would be really looking at a glacier/very high resort, so be aware that skiing/boarding then may be a little limited.

There could be no guarantees for snow at that time of year, but likely possibilities could include Les 2 Alpes, Val Thorens and Tignes in France, or Austrian resorts such as Hintertux, Neustift, Solden, Kaprun, Piztal, Kaunertal and Obergurgl.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Livigno (1800-2800m) in Italy is relatively cheap compared to France and has a very good snow record although you can never be sure.

Down side is a 4.5 hr transfer
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Early season Livigno has a patchy snow record and not enough cannons to make it fun for a bad snow week. Jan's usually ok but it can be BITTERLY cold on top. Tignes for early season (find the right place and it's not too pricy) or maybe L2A, though I've not been there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although I agree that Tignes is a good choice in advance for an early season holiday, I don't think that it could be described as a budget resort even if you do choose cheap accommodation. The lift pass there is quite expensive (€165 for Tignes-only, €192 for the full domain), and eating and drinking around the resort/ski area isn't cheap either. My guess is that L2A isn't cheap either, when compared to some of the resorts in Bulgaria that fourten might be looking at.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque,

I can only access the 04-05 season on SCGB site, but Livigno snow depths weren't that much below L2A or Tignes. I wouldn't be that worried if it were the 2nd of 3rd week of December.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So reasonbable choices would be Austria/ Italy (mentioned above)? Obviously I can't expect any resort as cheap as Bulgaria, but nothing too expensive.

On another note, I'm off to Tignes next weekend to board for the first time, on REAL snow Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy