Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a toddler to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Ok might seem a bit of a silly question, but I’m trying to be organised for our upcoming trip in December to Plagne 1800.

We’re taking the bairn with us , when I say bairn I mean my 1 year old son.

How do I keep the little champ warm? What are the best types of clothes to put him in? Any other tips for me?

We didn’t take my daughter when she was a baby so this is a first for us. I’m a bit worried because he absolutely hates hats and I can see he won’t wear gloves. and he’s a stubborn sort Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is one of you staying back to look after them or using a child care service?

we have snow suits for ours, though not the kind sold here in mother care, but the ones my cousins kids used at home in Sweden. At the moment we plan on one person taking turns to look after, since going with a second family and there's snow school pickups to be around for etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He’s booked into the crèche in the chalet. Daughter is also booked in for skiing lessons in am and club in pm, but we’re hoping she can come skiing with us now on a few days as I’m less worried she will fall off a cliff Smile

I haven’t seen anything I would describe as technical in any baby sort of shops so was thinking online for something? There is a Columbia 2 piece thing with a jacket and salopette type trousers but I wasn’t sure if an all in one would be better?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
something along those lines is what we have, https://www.polarnopyret.co.uk/purple-fleece-lined-baby-shell-overall-60416694-863. super thick and warm, the kids there nap outside for an hour a day as standard, so they must be toasty in them

its a beefed up version of a kids coverall, will reduce the amount of windchill that gets through and can still whip them out or in to change or when going in or out easily.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For 1 year old I'd go one- piece suit because rolling round in the snow is half the fun. The other half is sliding down any available small slope on his bottom - guaranteed to get snow up the back of a jacket. He probably won't wear gloves or hat for long - French kids always seem so much more compliant in this regard and even wear their chic little sunglasses. Playing outside will need to be in short bursts, preceded by AGES spent finding everything and stuffing him into it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try Decathlon for good value gear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a snowsuit with foldover hands and feet when ours were teeny - helps with the ones who won't wear gloves! If it's really cold you can put the little gloves under the foldover part.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Columbia_Snuggly_Bunny_Baby_Bunting/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=188452&SelectedItem=751164&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0ej2YKIzmNUuIIjJx0_X__2NFGnn_h4Mmb60qQX4cU8VrAH01l1k7y4aAnWmEALw_wcB
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@v1cky24, eBay, friends with older kids who have grown out of stuff. We have given away mountains of kids ski gear and we've also been passed a fair bit as well.

Handmedowns best (friends, family eBay), decathlon next, IcePeak (a Finnish brand they know about kids outside in the cold) followed by the big name brands.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone. Will have a look for a one piece thing.

I hope the little dude has a great time. It will be the start of many Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, one piece all the way at that age, with hand covers and a hood. Best to opt for a waterproof one so he can just roll/crawl and not let snow in anywhere. (When I had a non-waterproof set, I put waterproof trousers from Muddy Puddles over the top). You really need the little sunglasses with the strap that goes around the back of the head and he will need to keep it on, he might not like it at first but it is essential to protect the eyes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi there,

who are you booking this with? did you book it all yourself or go via travel agent?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

it is essential to protect the eyes

You hear this a lot, and I do wonder how our ancestors coped without shades. Is UV damage to eyes really more frequent amongst people like agricultural workers, or road men, who routinely work outside? Most kids, most of the time, in most parts of the world, don't wear sunglasses. Sure, it's best if they will tolerate them, but not a total disaster if they won't.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As others have said, waterproof insulated one piece is the way to go. Proper insulated snow boots also a good idea as they get cold feet quickly and easily. I went the decathlon route here and they were fine. Regarding sunglasses - I went for Julbo loop spectron cat 4. I would regard these as essential as a snow blind one year old will not have a fun time and will probably let everyone in the same postcode know about it. You can pick them up online for about 15 quid.

As with any activity involving very small children, short bursts of activity is the way to go. They cool down really fast. Don't hesitate to quit whatever you are doing while you are ahead. Holiday tends to run at the pace of the kids - but as you have a 1 year old, I'm guessing you have already figured that out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

short bursts of activity is the way to go

very true. Even if, after it takes 20 minutes to get them kitted out to play in the snow, they are wailing with cold hands after 15 minutes....
ski holidays
One of my grandkids hated being on a moving toboggan (most of them loved it). She didn't like that "out of control" feeling but she loved pulling a toboggan around with her teddy bear on it - and it kept her beautifully warm. Digging a big hole is also fun and keeps them warm - a couple of decent beach-style buckets and spades are well worth packing.
ski holidays
I have used this crowd before, in case it's of help: https://www.littleskiers.co.uk/toddler
ski holidays
Daviejohn1983 wrote:
hi there,

who are you booking this with? did you book it all yourself or go via travel agent?

@Daviejohn1983 we’ve booked with crystal. I’ve found their prices to be reasonable (well as reasonable as you get for over new year Laughing ) but mainly because I have experience of the childcare they provide. My daughter was quite happy in their Beany bear club or whatever they call it.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
One of my grandkids hated being on a moving toboggan (most of them loved it). She didn't like that "out of control" feeling but she loved pulling a toboggan around with her teddy bear on it - and it kept her beautifully warm. Digging a big hole is also fun and keeps them warm - a couple of decent beach-style buckets and spades are well worth packing.

Great tip! Snow/sand same difference Laughing he’ll love that Smile
latest report
This thread reminds me of
this fantastic scene from A Christmas Story.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy