Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Korua Shapes - Vol 9 Yearning...

Poster: A snowHead
Volume 9 of the rather gorgeous "Yearning for Turning" series is on Youtube as of today:

Youtube Clickyclick

I've always liked these, both for the styling as well as the fact that so much of the riding is either on piste or playing in pow nearby. We can all aspire to riding like that, whereas I know I'll never have access to a helicopter, a half dozen snowmobiles and a 20 strong team to build some ridiculous kicker in the back country somewhere.

There's a real elegance of riding that appeals to me. Nothing huge, just done real smooth!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant! Watching Yearning for Turning is how I psych myself up before a trip Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pure sex.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
couldn't agree more
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the money shot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for sharing, that is fantastic.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this winter goal - leave a gap in pencil line / change edges in air.

after watching this even skiers start thinking skiing is lame Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosmoz wrote:
this winter goal - leave a gap in pencil line / change edges in air.

That was definitely on my list for this trip as well after watching that!

I've been thinking through the body movements for the last 24hrs
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is how I was shown how to practice those:

1. on a flat pitch go straight at around jogging speed, pop an ollie and try to land gently on you toes or heels into a 'mild' carve keeping hips and shoulders over the edge you land on. Let it run out, realign and repeat on other edge. You'll need space and beware of people coming from behind.

2. on a wide cruisey blue (but not too flat), pick up a bit of speed into run big arching carves. Follow your pencil line and let the turn overrun so your starting to lose momentum with your pointing up the hill at say 1 o'clock, at that point do a tiny little hop onto the other edge and ride out the pencil line. Repeat.

3. as you traverse the fallline & between carves look out for small bumps in the snow and ollie those. As get more comfortable take more speed and keeping shortening traverse line to the point you are litterally ollieing out of turns, airing the 'bump' and landing into the next turn on the other side of it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
decent board, load back leg, spring out of carve. Easier said than done

https://www.youtube.com/user/FunCarve2012/videos

start watching from the bottom. Good stuff. To bad I discovered these after last season was done.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosmoz wrote:
… after watching this even skiers start thinking skiing is lame
wink That's kind of how the sport started up in the late 1980s. Back to the future.

I came across this recently which is building on Korua and other people's promoting of real snowboarding: https://www.ecotrack.pro/starving-for-carving
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is no such thing as real and not real snowboarding, it's all about freedom to do whatever you want. Some swear by street jibbing, some by riding park, some - carving on soft or hard boots. Carving is attainable, an average guy/gal can do it at 70+ % of pro's can do, and it's pretty much safe. However, to do even 5% of what pro riders does in halfpipe/slopestyle would be an achievement and dangerous Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LittleBullet wrote:
This is how I was shown how to practice those:

1. on a flat pitch go straight at around jogging speed, pop an ollie and try to land gently on you toes or heels into a 'mild' carve keeping hips and shoulders over the edge you land on. Let it run out, realign and repeat on other edge. You'll need space and beware of people coming from behind.

2. on a wide cruisey blue (but not too flat), pick up a bit of speed into run big arching carves. Follow your pencil line and let the turn overrun so your starting to lose momentum with your pointing up the hill at say 1 o'clock, at that point do a tiny little hop onto the other edge and ride out the pencil line. Repeat.

3. as you traverse the fallline & between carves look out for small bumps in the snow and ollie those. As get more comfortable take more speed and keeping shortening traverse line to the point you are litterally ollieing out of turns, airing the 'bump' and landing into the next turn on the other side of it.

Nice! Thank you for that. I think my previous plan had been just to exaggerate drive out of a turn and the rise and unweight movement as I went from one edge to the other until I started to leave the ground. Getting comfortable ollieing and landing on an edge sounds a sensible first step though!

J
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosmoz wrote:
There is no such thing as real and not real snowboarding... to do even 5% of what pro riders does in halfpipe/slopestyle would be an achievement and dangerous Smile
You've just made my point for me - QED. Real snowboarding is what real people do. Gymnastics is great, but it's not even what pro snowboarders do when they're snowboarding.

--
With Korua you do need to look fairly closely at what's being sold and how. The boards are made in Poland by what I think is a Swiss owned company, although the name makes it sound more like a Moss or Gentemstick. The videos are shot in excellent snow and are very tightly cut - the hard turns are never linked, and they're pretty much all front side. See how they cut each turn before the rider completes it? I haven't ridden one, but the word is that you're definitely going to need the beefier construction and even then they may be a challenge at speed.
snow conditions
@philwig, I own the Korua Otto 2019. I am 6ft and 85kg. I love the board, for carving it's the best thing since sliced bread. Powder and jumps is fun too, wouldn't dream of doing rails on it although I don't really enjoy rails anymore. This board's edges grip, with lovely radius and it just wants to be ridden hard, very hard. Moguls it performs well too. One thing I'll say it's pretty unforgiving, edges are very 'catchy'...
snow conditions
Here's the Korua rider Nicholas Wolken riding some back country lines:

http://youtube.com/v/nhwtRSpxlZA
ski holidays
Very nice! Very Happy
ski holidays
Ryan Knapton is alright at carving.

http://youtube.com/v/E82Okdv0hI0
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy